For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

SWAG Module Role Call

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Following a prompt from the good Captain, would all active / potential / just thinking about it contributors please add a post to this thread to indicate their commitment to the project.

So far (08/06/2011) these are the names I have of module builders (and apologies if I miss anyone !)

Definites:

Tigger - building one of the fiddle yards and a module

Side car Racer - building the other fiddle yard and a module

Stubby47

Stubby47's Dad

Probables:

Penlan

The Stationmaster

Mozzer Models

Possibles:

Ramblin Rich

Mudmagnet

John New

Anyone else ?

• RMweb Gold

hi Stu

Following on from our conversation at Hayle the other weekend, I have got as far as printing off the module specifications. I need to have a think about what I could do ........

• RMweb Gold

Still definitely on my 'to do' list Stu - my only question mark at present is regarding length and I'm not sure if it will be 3ft or 4 ft but it if plans come to fruition it will need an independent mains access please for its internal electrics. (Good news is the Grassmaster has arrived - not sure what to test it on tho' but another little scheme is in mind for that.)

• RMweb Gold

Just a possible; it depends on how long it takes me to finish off the current project (Booked first outing 13 Aug) as to whether I feel I have time to do a SWAG module after that. At least the diary is free for the SWAG day.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Stu - I had better get my thinking cap on - need to come up with a few ideas. Will be getting too cold to work in the garage on Burrington Arms in a month or so, so could be an ideal opportunity to do something indoors! Might even try and get my son to have ago at something - now there's an idea ......

• RMweb Gold

Status unchanged for me Stu - I'm sure that the piece of ply 'stored' on the floor beneath 5 4'x2' sections of supposedly portable layout is also 4ftx2ft, I got two cheapo tunnel mouths off some sort of secondhand stall at the Bradford-On-Avon show and I've got a big pile of expanded polystyrene 'bits', some 50 year old Code 100 track in the attic (somewhere), and a 'secret ingredient' stashed away to go with the likely name of the module (The Silurian Spring :scratchhead:), and I'm sure I saw the soldering iron up in the attic so I might actually be in with a chance of making something which - for a change - doesn't involve concrete, 1:1 scale engineering bricks and sundry pieces of sandstone.

• RMweb Gold

Ok Chaps, CK has now given me the dimensions of the space we've been allocated at the hall, so please can I have a rough idea of how long each module (or fiddle yard ) is please ?

I'll add the 4" bridges into the overall length, so don't count those.

Ta

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I've had a floor plan from CK, and have attempted to add a couple of module plans to see how things might fit...

Bearing in mind I've not yet got a 100% list of modules (not a whinge !), these are just theoretical.

For those of you who know the venue, we've been allocated two walls in the smaller room at Staplegrove. We can't use the full length of the wall with the windows as these are a fire escape.

The first plan is a more conventional use of this space, but I think will leave us with too little room...

post-7025-0-64855100-1319182371_thumb.gif

Shown are Tigger's 8ft FY and 4ft module, plus a 3ft corner module. This will only leave a 1ft 3" gap behind the rest of the modules, and with Sidecar Racer's 8ft FY only leaves 6ft for other modules.

The second plan shows the modules in a 'U' format. This gives adequate room around the 'layout' for viewing, and with the use of a short module betweeen two 90 deg corner units allows sufficient space inside for operation. There is also space to accomodate 3 other 4ft modules.

post-7025-0-21290700-1319182555_thumb.gif

What I need to know is:

i) whether this format is acceptable to CK

ii) who else would like to make a corner module (I'm making one of them)

iii) who else is definitely making a module (because if there are more than I've shown, CK will need to re-consider where we get put).

The list I have at the moment is :

Definites:

Tigger - building one of the fiddle yards (8ft) and a module (4ft)

Sidecar Racer - building the other fiddle yard (8ft)

Stubby47 (corner )

Stubby47's Dad (4ft)

The Stationmaster (4ft)

Probables:

Penlan

Mozzer Models

Possibles:

Ramblin Rich

Mudmagnet

Have I missed anything, are there any more suggestions on how we can best use the space, are there anymore definite modules on offer ?

Cheers

Stu

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Just a quick request for an update from all of you making (or intending to make ) a module for next April.

I've got the baseboards build, the track bed down and a few of the buildings well underway.

My Dad has the board built, the track down and is currently ballasting before adding the tunnel mouth and part station.

How are the rest of you doing ? (Just asking, not pushing (at the moment B) ).

Neil (BR) - sorry I missed your name of the list before, but your short module should fit well between the two corner units to give space between the two 'legs' of the plan.

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Currently waiting start (an electricity provider has had to come first and time will now have to be spent on the needs of a port operator in January). That leaves the main part of Feb to get things really underway although a lot most of the necessary material is to hand.

And I like the elongated 'U' shape but how much room is left in the middle please?

• RMweb Gold

If I repeat the dimensions of first corner module for the second corner unit, then a quick guestimation would give each corner unit a space behind of 9", plus the length of the end module (3'9") plus 8" of bridges, then maybe 5' to 6', less any tables.

I'll draw up a more accurate plan tomorrow. If it looks too tight, we can replace the proposed use of Black Rat's shorter module with a longer one.

Tiggers module status

Track Down and ballasted

Grass laid

Signals fitted

Just little details to go

Lower track to be ballasted and tunnel mouth fitted

Fiddle Yard:

Points with motors fitted and working

Control Panel almost finished (Christmas leave job) shhhhh I have not told SWMBO

Track for sidings and wiring still to be done

• RMweb Gold

If I repeat the dimensions of first corner module for the second corner unit, then a quick guestimation would give each corner unit a space behind of 9", plus the length of the end module (3'9") plus 8" of bridges, then maybe 5' to 6', less any tables.

I'll draw up a more accurate plan tomorrow. If it looks too tight, we can replace the proposed use of Black Rat's shorter module with a longer one.

I've drawn a more accurate version and although I mis-quoted Neil's module's length (3ft, not 3ft 9"), there should be about 4ft 8" between the backs of the modules. It now depends on where the supporting tables are placed - placed in-line with the front of the modules (to give shelf space behind) or in-line with the rear edge of the widest module (which gives more access space behind).

As I've said, we could use a longer module at the end to spread the legs wider (oo-er, missus !).

looks like we will not beable to make in down from yorkshire this year

Oh, that's a shame, Brian ! You'll both be missed !

Archived