MK1 Motorail Flats - 4mm

I am in the process of building 3 MK1 Motorail flats in 4mm and thought I would share some pictures of work in progress. Currently the only RTR offerings are the old Hornby offering which is crude and wrong in many details. I had been wanting to build some for a while reasoning from the pictures I had seen it should be a straightforward if not lengthy kit bash and scratchbuild project. I am building 3 on a production line approach, so that when making pieces from scratch I make enough for all 3 wagons at once. Undoubtedly this can lead to frustration in the time it is taking to get to the finished result, but I know if I got 1 finished the other 2 would never get started.

Basis for the project are some Coopercraft mk1 underframes, which are masterpieces in their own right and perfect for what I needed, while keeping cost down compared to getting an old Bachmann or Lima MK1. I have fitted Bachmann MK1 bogies as these are common to the rest of my coaching fleet. It also saved me building the arguably better detailled coopercraft ones, but the Bachmann ones have been modified to use the CC pivots. The underframe trussing is esquisit albeit fiddly to assemble:

post-7400-0-96828500-1307391562_thumb.jpg

The deck is Wills planking, weathered by a mix of brown and grey washs and dry brushes with tyres marks dry brushed on. The stanchions and side rails are scratchbuilt from plastruct sections, a Jig being made to cut the uprights as there are 78 of them in total. Mind numbing job....

post-7400-0-46632900-1307391641_thumb.jpg

The end ramps await further details of hinges and locking pins. I have at the moment not added the bufferbeam rubbing plates, as can be seen the wagons are fitted with 3 links but am contemplating/deliberating my future strategy for couplings as while 3 Links are ok for Pallet Lane, these wagons are intended for my new layout and the desing I have in mind isn't particularly 3 link friendly.

post-7400-0-80092700-1307391807_thumb.jpg

The Motorail flats had Handbrake levers fitted to them, luckily I had some spares from various Parkside vans which came in handy when chopped down. The cooper craft kits also come with spare brake hangers. The redundant battery boxed etc were removed during conversion, so another advantage of a kit for the underframe meant these went straight in the spares box.

post-7400-0-06992500-1307392161_thumb.jpg

Nice work Rob.

With carflats a Waverley Route staple, I've hoarded donors for a couple of rakes of ten now; what's more, you've made it look simple so I've no excuse. Did you work principally from Paul Bartlett's photo archive for details?

Very interesting: impressed with what you've done. By coincidence I've just posted my own efforts at an earlier diag carflat which was different to these.

Very much looking forward to how yours develop.

Thanks for posting,

Iain

Nice work Rob.

With carflats a Waverley Route staple, I've hoarded donors for a couple of rakes of ten now; what's more, you've made it look simple so I've no excuse. Did you work principally from Paul Bartlett's photo archive for details?

Hi CHARD,

I used Paul's photos but also have to hand the article from Model Rail on Carflats (which uses Paul's pictures) and the article in Rail Express Modeller, I will post the relevant issue numbers whne I am home tonight. In my usual modelling style I have set out to produce something that looks right as opposed to being a slave to drawings. From the research I have done there are so many small variations. None of the work is particularly complex, its just time consuming and building a jig for the uprights sped things up, I will take a similar approach for the wheel chocks which are needed. I personally still wouldn't fancy doing 10 though!

They are a minefield from what I can make out, so many Lots and differences between batches. I used to pass the sole survivor (?) at Camden Carriage Sidings every day for three years. If it's still resident there (last seen October '09) I'd try and arrange a photocall.

Jig-building seemed to me the way to go, my main problem being deciding on a prototype, or maybe two designs. 1968 being right in the mix for available chassis, I'm stuck between Big Four, BR 57' ex-Subs and early MkIs potentially....

I used to pass the sole survivor (?) at Camden Carriage Sidings

The Swindon and Cricklade have a motorail flat of some description, when I went there was a train in the way for me to clearly identify it but think it is an ex SR version.

I've an idea it was the 63 ft suburbans that provided the donor underframes for the Carflats.

Chris

That aligns with my thinking Chris. I'd an idea that by 1966/67 a good number of these had gone into the conversion process. Main line MkIs also succumbed, but I was of the impression they were converted around 1971. So MkI running gear under Carflats in '68 would still be an avenue well worth checking.

Cheers

Chrisf, 'Chard,

Your ideas seem right according to my research.

Diagrams 1/130 and 1/131 Carflat A (lot 3536) were built on BR long (63'5") surburban underframes in 1964. These totalled 48, numbered B745639-745640, B745642-745647, B745600-745638, B 745641. There were then 57 built in 1968 to Diag 1/088 (lot 3679, B745000-745056).

The next BR underframes converted were 246 used between 1970 and 1977, and included a load of mainline Mk1s.

There were many hundreds of Big 4 coaches converted between 1959 and 1967 on a variety of underframes but 57' was the minimum length.

Hope that helps,

Iain

• 1 month later...

Progress has been a slow but steady, the end detail has been added from etched brass strip with vac pipes to follow from the spares box. The wagons are now painted and have an initial dusting of weathering. Also the wheel chocks for the deck have been made and painted but not yet fitted. The Motorail boards are cut out from the Rail Express supplement in the June 2004 edition.

post-7400-0-95578400-1312656416_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi 37 114

I like the look that you have on the deck of these motorail wagons and you said in your earlier post that you used the Wills planking, but the only Wills planking I can find has moulded end joints and fixing holes at the plank ends, is there another type of planking that Wills produce?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 37 114

I like the look that you have on the deck of these motorail wagons and you said in your earlier post that you used the Wills planking, but the only Wills planking I can find has moulded end joints and fixing holes at the plank ends, is there another type of planking that Wills produce?

Thanks.

Sorry only just noticed your questions, I will try and dig out the packet but the wills decking was the same throughout, no holes etc.

• 1 year later...

just wanted to say great work, just studying how best to go about some of these myself, albeit carflats for new cars around 1963 give or take.

Thanks, I would have a look around at the various underframes that suit your prototype, the biggest problem will likely to be most coach chassis ahve mouldings above the top of the solebar to secure the seating etc which will need removing for a carflat 

Michael: your job may be a bit harder due to the non-availability of the Coopercraft Mk.1 underframe kit. I'm not exactly hopeful of seeing new supplies until the end of this year, if that.

Must remember to run a batch of the floors next time I am using black as it is the roofs that is the big problem and I have got plenty of the bogie/underframe mouldings in stock.  :mail:

Also look I will have to do some more  :read: about these wagons.

Must remember to run a batch of the floors next time I am using black as it is the roofs that is the big problem and I have got plenty of the bogie/underframe mouldings in stock.  :mail:

Your complete underframe kit (ref: 5000) would be useful for upgrading the old Kitmaster Mk.1s as well. Just a thought......

Also look I will have to do some more  :read: about these wagons.

If you want a look at the finished models I am only just over the border in Wiltshire. The extra bits would amount to 2 sprues maximum I would have thought and commercially would stack up as have seen a few decent models go for silly money on ebay (I have been tempted to stick mine on because I could make a packet on what it cost me to make). That is assuming that the chaps at Barwell aren't about to announce one of course....  

I am thinking of offering Dave SImpson at the Gas Cupboard a talk on modelling car carrying wagons as well, especially seeingas last nights talk on making cars more realistic was standing room only.

• RMweb Premium

A +1 for sides and ends, please - these vehicles seem to be "in fashion" with us Wiltshire modellers at the moment!

I have 3 chassis kits, 1 made up, 2 waiting, with my initial attempt at the low railing sides, which needs re-visiting, especially with the ideas in this thread, but a kit option would be brilliant.

Adrian

Archived