Any Question Answered

Pixie

• RMweb Gold

Might be worth contacting Nick Tilston at N Brass Locos. He had some surplus etched kits for sale at the recent Epson show. I think I saw a G2 amongst them.

Might be worth contacting Nick Tilston at N Brass Locos. He had some surplus etched kits for sale at the recent Epson show. I think I saw a G2 amongst them.

He's still got it on his website as the last loco kit left from his clear out.

• 2 weeks later...

What the deuce (polite word) has Ebay done with the "finescale" category by now calling it "rare gauges". I also can't shortcut to the category by clicking on a previous item's title.

How do they justify calling S7, S/P4 and 2FS 'rare'?

Jim

I'm still checking daily for the missing Ebay Finescale category in case they realize their ineptitude and restore the status quo.

What I have found so far

if you click "rare scales" and scroll down the options displayed on the left as far as Scale (gauge)

Click on See All

at next menu tick Finescale and then Apply

I'm not sure how up to date the resulting listings are as there weren't any entered today (although loads are still going on Rare Scales.

I was always in the habit of watching what was showing up in Finescale just out of general interest but I don't think I'll bother any more. It's too much like hard work going through all the rubbish on the new listings - skipping over the Del Prado entries was bad enough! If you looked at "auctions only" you could miss out on something - likewise restricting to UK only can miss out. ( I got a Fairburn brandnew for £60 including post from Taiwan)

Perhaps RM and others could put pressure on Ebay but I'm sure we are such a miniscule proportion of their overall trade Ebay wouldn't care.

What other auction sites are worth a following? Has the RM one settled down yet?

• RMweb Premium

( I got a Fairburn brandnew for £60 including post from Taiwan)

You'll be wanting a finescale conversion kit then?

Nig H

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

As some may know, I'm currently talking to John Redrup at London Road Models about the possibility of getting his 4mm etches for the Coal Tank shrunk down to 2mm scale.

Enquiries have now been made of the etchers as to the likely cost and they've come back with a query as to what material and thickness should be used.

From what I've seen and read, nickel silver would seem to be better than brass, but I'm not sure what the thickness should be.

Would be grateful for thoughts and observations.

Also, if there's anybody who'd be interested in a set of etches who hasn't already contacted me, please do so!

Thanks,

David V 

As some may know, I'm currently talking to John Redrup at London Road Models about the possibility of getting his 4mm etches for the Coal Tank shrunk down to 2mm scale.

Enquiries have now been made of the etchers as to the likely cost and they've come back with a query as to what material and thickness should be used.

From what I've seen and read, nickel silver would seem to be better than brass, but I'm not sure what the thickness should be.

Would be grateful for thoughts and observations.

Also, if there's anybody who'd be interested in a set of etches who hasn't already contacted me, please do so!

Thanks,

David V 

If you want slots etc to work out, and assuming you don't want to or cannot adjust the artwork, then really it should be half the thickness of the 4mm etch. For example, PEC do 6 thou nickel silver which is half the 12 thou often used by 4mm models. Bill Bedford's etches are done on this basis

But for robustness 10 thou would be better. If the kits don't have slots (old ones often don't) then that might not be an issue. It's always possible to get the artwork done, and get a test sheet in both thicknesses made. People could even choose which thickness they want to buy. Either way, N/S is far superior to the brass and not really that much more money for the small area 2mm models occupy.

I would suggest you ask someone nicely to do a custom 2mm chassis to go with the body. Also saves you worrying about the extra cost of perhaps having a second thickness of etch to do from the 4mm model. Nigel Hunt did one for the 2mm LNWR tanks I had reduced from Brassmasters.

I'll take an etch as well.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

Thanks Chris and noted - I've just sent you a PM.

One of the issues with this is that the chassis and the body parts are separate etches. Nigel and I have already had an exchange about the possibility of him doing a chassis etch but on this occasion (as he's perfectly entitled to do of course) he's declined, so it looks like I'll have to turn the charm on with somebody else. Don't suppose you'd be interested, would you?

Regards,

David

Thanks Chris and noted - I've just sent you a PM.

One of the issues with this is that the chassis and the body parts are separate etches. Nigel and I have already had an exchange about the possibility of him doing a chassis etch but on this occasion (as he's perfectly entitled to do of course) he's declined, so it looks like I'll have to turn the charm on with somebody else. Don't suppose you'd be interested, would you?

Regards,

David

I might. It depends on what drawings are available (I tend not to like working with only vague material) or if the real thing still exists (does it?). Also I have a lot of items to fit on test etches so I am not always the quickest. I have a lot of LNWR loco books so will take a look at what is in them.

7'3" + 8'3" is the same wheelbase as a GWR Pannier so I can probably rustle something up once I have done the 2mm version of the same.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

I might. It depends on what drawings are available (I tend not to like working with only vague material) or if the real thing still exists (does it?). Also I have a lot of items to fit on test etches so I am not always the quickest. I have a lot of LNWR loco books so will take a look at what is in them.

7'3" + 8'3" is the same wheelbase as a GWR Pannier so I can probably rustle something up once I have done the 2mm version of the same.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

The last survivor is currently based at Ingrow on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway ... and general arrangement drawings are available (there are copies in 'Bashers, Gadgets and Mourners - The Life and Times of the LNWR Coal Tanks' - http://www.coaltank.co.uk/research.html- for a start).

Regards,

David