Any Question Answered

Pixie

Guest WM183

I have another question, if I may!

Do you generally build wagons, brake vans, and other stock from scratch to be 2mm, or do you convert N gauge stock? 

Mine are all to 2MM scale, and mostly scratch built or etched kits, the latter mostly my own design.  There is little available in N for my area or period of interest (Caledonian Railway 1885-1914)

jim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WM183 said:

Do you generally build wagons, brake vans, and other stock from scratch to be 2mm, or do you convert N gauge stock? 

Both, although N stuff usually has some work done to it. I also build kits, generally 2mm ones and not N in this case.

• RMweb Gold

3 hours ago, WM183 said:

I'm very cavalier and am happy to use either/both if suitable.

jerry

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, WM183 said:

It quite depends on the period you want to model.

If for example you were to model a GWR branch line, there are a number of N RTR models for LNER, LMS and SR freight stock that can be rewheeled, or upgraded with an etched chassis. For the GWR itself, the Association has a number of plastic and resin body kits for GWR wagons and vans, again with etched chassis. And scratchbuilding is common for older stock.

Coaches is another matter, there is not a lot of GWR stock available in N, apart from Hawksworth era mainline stock not often seen on branch lines, and some beautiful Hawksworth autocoaches, although they are only appropriate for the very last days of the GWR.

Chris 

Edited by Chris Higgs

Guest WM183

Well, I built the wagon that came in the Association's trial kit, and it's definitely fiddly! However, I think it's doable, and I'd like to explore it further. I will need to get wheels and axle material, gears, a motor, and all in addition to a chassis kit to convert a loco like the Dapol 45xx, or?

1 hour ago, WM183 said:

Well, I built the wagon that came in the Association's trial kit, and it's definitely fiddly! However, I think it's doable, and I'd like to explore it further. I will need to get wheels and axle material, gears, a motor, and all in addition to a chassis kit to convert a loco like the Dapol 45xx, or?

The etched chassis get easier once you have done two or three and 'get your eye in'. Hundreds of us can confirm that it is do-able.

Yes, you need to get all the various parts, unless you go for one of the quick and easy conversions available for Bachmann locos, such as the latest Bachmann LMS Jinty or GWR 64XX. Then you only need the wheels, etched parts and replacement bearings and muffs.

I really would not start with a loco that requires you to build a set of cylinders and outside valve gear, and pony trucks, even a relatively simple one like a 45XX. GWR 57XX or LMS Jinty (again) with an etched chassis and older style Farish body is going to be a lot less challenging for a beginner.

A diesel is even easier, half an hour's work to drop in replacement axles. But I think this is not your area of interest.

The other thing for you to prove to yourself is that you can build pointwork.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

Guest WM183

Hi Chris, 

Thanks much! I have handlaid points (turnouts) in N scale before, so I've got the general gist I think, though these are much, much finer. I will join the association and order the components to make some test points, and I will try to find a Farish Pannier to convert. Thank you much for the imput. My area of interest is indeed steam, and the 45xx is one of my favorites, but I am in no hurry.

Thanks again,

Amanda

On 23/03/2019 at 17:21, WM183 said:

I have handlaid points (turnouts) in N scale before, so I've got the general gist I think, though these are much, much finer. 

It may seem strange, but it is often easier to scratch build true scale track (in any scale) than to scratch build track intended to match the compromised standards of commercial offerings (even though they tend to be finer these days than they once were).

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, bécasse said:

It may seem strange, but it is often easier to scratch build true scale track (in any scale) than to scratch build track intended to match the compromised standards of commercial offerings (even though they tend to be finer these days than they once were).

I find the finer rail section of 2FS track easier to manipulate than heavuer code 80 rail. FIling a switch blade in FB is a bit of fun.

Chris

I have found (so far, building standard left and right turnouts) that the most difficult bit is a) working out which side is the top of the bullhead and (more reasonably) ensuring I don't distort any curves/straightaways while I'm soldering - rarely a problem in 7mm.

EDIT: A more specific question has come to mind - when building track with switch-blade chairplate droppers (i.e. for use with the plastic tie bar), how does one retain the plastic tie bar flush against the underside of the chairplates? With the hole required for the actuating rod in the centre, there's precious little to keep it positively retained and have had a couple of occasions where the chairplates have popped out entirely.

Edited by Lacathedrale

Guest WM183

I've officially sent my application off to join the association, and am eager to order the beginner's guide, the track book, and perhaps some easy track bits. I do have a question though; does the association make any GWR cattle wagons (W2, etc) or am I into scratchbuild territory with the bodies for those?

Thanks much all! 

Amanda

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, WM183 said:

I've officially sent my application off to join the association, and am eager to order the beginner's guide, the track book, and perhaps some easy track bits. I do have a question though; does the association make any GWR cattle wagons (W2, etc) or am I into scratchbuild territory with the bodies for those?

Thanks much all! 

Amanda

Hi

You can view the range of 2mm SA products here

http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/

Shop 2 for wagons.

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, WM183 said:

Thanks much all! 

Amanda

you may find this site of interest although not all will still be available

http://www.gwr.org.uk/kits2mmwagons.html

Nick

Ah, another real world question - in the Track book in Chapter 5, there are sections on assembling common and obtuse crossings - both of which show photographs of the assembly jig with timber markings. My own jig is without such markings so I gather they are done by the author - it would be EXTREMELY helpful to have these, so I can properly align etch/chairplates while assembling the crossings. Is there an obvious way of applying these to the jig that I'm missing?

• RMweb Premium

Having just read the latest Newsletter I've started planning a small layout based on the Wuppertal Schwebebahn, especially as it's just down the road from me. Anyone know when the relevant new parts are likely to be available?

David

:rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

Having just read the latest Newsletter I've started planning a small layout based on the Wuppertal Schwebebahn, especially as it's just down the road from me. Anyone know when the relevant new parts are likely to be available?

David

:rolleyes:

Just hang on, David.

Tim

• Like 1