Any Question Answered

Pixie

Not strictly question and answer, but I am in the US and yesterday visited what probably counts as the World's largeest train set, a custom built roundhouse that houses the late owner's private collection of locos (12 in to 1ft scale) which he kept when he sold the railroad they used to run on.

www.ageofsteamroundhouse.org

Anyway, amongst the awesome collection were some macine tools. The first is a wheel turning lathe, but anyone like to guess what the second one is (hint, it does have some relation to 2mm scale products).

ChrisDSCF5464.JPG.0f7970e0357806e05d348d3499550b7f.JPGDSCF5466.JPG.173ce1ea49e26c20938fee2c86ce0a7b.JPG

Hello chaps, I guess it's time to pick myself up and dust myself off and have another run at getting a working loco. My last attempt ended with binding occuring  when the loco was on the track or held a certain way - the general opinion was that a) the driven axle's gear was binding against the helical gear on the idler axle when under strain and b) the inconsistent muff length was allowing this to happen and/or forcing it to occur.

I found it incredibly difficult to cut the muffs to the correct width while maintaining parallel ends (in an effort to stop/reduce any oscillation of the muff/gear/wheels as they rotate). Is there a de facto method by which this is achieved? And, how much slop SHOULD i be leaving?

How would a muff/axle oscillate even if is not cut off square?

If the bearing flanges are flat against the frames the axle with muff will not oscillate.

It's just that one spot on the muff makes contact with the bearing face and that's all that happens.

If you however use Simpson springs things are different and care must be taken that the muff ends are smooth. 

I have begun building the 42xx kit - the body, anyway - and need to order wheels for the chassis. The prototype had wheels 1410 mm in diameter; 1410 / 152 comes out to 9.27mm; should I use 9mm or 9.5mm wheels from the association? My gut says 9.5, but I was wondering if anyone else could weigh in before I sent off the order?

Thanks!

Manda

Manda,

Usual practice is to go to the next available size downwards as 2FS wheel flanges are larger than scale, and the wheels on the full size loco would have worn down with usage until new tyres were fitted. However, the shop listings on the 2mm website show that 9mm driving wheels are out of stock (and I suspect will remain so until the new type of loco wheels are in production).

Andy

• Agree 1

Due to PEC no longer being able to supply 6thou nickel-silver, I had some coach sides etched in 4 thou stainless steel. They look fantastic. Unfortunately, they have resisted all attempts by my rolling mill to curve to the profile I need for them (they are Bulleid coach sides). They remain stubbornly flat.

Any ideas? Should I be annealing them? Or perhaps I need to etch them on thicker material.

Chris

11 minutes ago, Argos said:

The Association shop 3 lists some extend axle 9mm dia spoked driving wheels.

Does anyone know the purpose of these and how long the extension is?

Thanks

I used them on my GWR Buffalo, unfortunately I can't remember how long the extension is, but I do remember that it is stepped, so that the fly crank has something to butt up against.  They can probably be used on the diesel shunter thing too (no idea what class - it's a boxy thing without pretty polished ornamentation) :D

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

They can probably be used on the diesel shunter thing too...

Ian

Not probably - its what we produced them for in the first place!

8mm for BR Class 11, 9mm for BR Class 08. Perhaps you remember them, Ian - BR had the odd 1000+ made.

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi, I was reading the October-November 2018 magazine, with an article on 3D printing - including an example of a coach dynamo. This includes the comment:

the 3D model can be rendered and viewed interactively and even printed (if these aren’t back in stock in Shop 3 yet).

I don't remember seeing these in Shop 3, and this is something I'm looking for at the moment - have I missed them, or are they coming in future?

thanks,

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil,

The old ones were lumps of white metal and I have been looking at options including using the 3D print idea instead of re-stocking the old ones. Computer issues have rather held this up over recent months, but this will get followed up very soon. In the meantime, if you really need a dynamo, the P and D Marsh A414  set is on a par with the old shop items. The hanger however is rather long but easily shortened.

regards

Nigel (Products Officer)

• RMweb Gold

Not a question rather an appeal:-

As we know certain loco wheels are now out of stock in shop 3 and I have the fortune/misfortune of securing the last two pairs of 9.5mm drivers.

Fortune because all the 8.5 and 9mm drivers have gone.

Mis-fortune because I was going to use them to re-wheel a Jinty so need three pairs.

Does anyone out there have a spare pair of 9.5mm drivers in their gloat box they would be prepared to part with?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Argos said:

Not a question rather an appeal:-

As we know certain loco wheels are now out of stock in shop 3 and I have the fortune/misfortune of securing the last two pairs of 9.5mm drivers.

Fortune because all the 8.5 and 9mm drivers have gone.

Mis-fortune because I was going to use them to re-wheel a Jinty so need three pairs.

Does anyone out there have a spare pair of 9.5mm drivers in their gloat box they would be prepared to part with?

Thanks

pm sent.

The Association has sold literally hundreds of wheels over the years yet you only ever get to see a handful of finished locos. Somebody, somewhere, has a stash squirreled away!

Jerry 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, queensquare said:

pm sent.

The Association has sold literally hundreds of wheels over the years yet you only ever get to see a handful of finished locos. Somebody, somewhere, has a stash squirreled away!

Jerry 

What, surely not...

If Association members would be required to commit to building an item when they buy it, we would have practically no products at all, down to the fact the sales would be so disappointing, it would not be worth designing them in the first place. On that basis, those of you who do build should be grateful for the existence of bulging gloat boxes elsewhere.

Given that we have been talking about designing a new generation of wheels since I joined the committee a long time ago,  the fact that the wheels are now running out is about the only thing that was actually going to force it to really happen.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, Chris Higgs said:

What, surely not...

If Association members would be required to commit to building an item when they buy it, we would have practically no products at all, down to the fact the sales would be so disappointing, it would not be worth designing them in the first place. On that basis, those of you who do build should be grateful for the existence of bulging gloat boxes elsewhere.

Given that we have been talking about designing a new generation of wheels since I joined the committee a long time ago,  the fact that the wheels are now running out is about the only thing that was actually going to force it to really happen.

Chris

Necessity is the mother of invention.

• Like 1