Any Question Answered

Pixie

27 minutes ago, Doncaster Green said:

Many thanks for the offer Julia but, unfortunately, I don't have a drawing.   The only underframe drawing I have doesn't include the tanks!   I am, to some extent, relying on EP's version being about right - it certainly looks about right.   In the meantime I have been turning out cupboards here, there and everywhere in search of suitable stand-ins.   I have found some smaller diameter plastic rod and some 5 thou plasticard I didn't realise I had so I will have another go at them.   It does surprise me, though, that EP seem to be the only source in 2mm/N.

Regards

John

You should be thankful EP/Ultima are still around. N gauge coach building is a pretty niche area. I expect Colin Allbright got the size right.

Here's the drawing

1250983657_LNERreservoir015.jpg.ae070f105d6bca455f8efbe02066d1eb.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic Chris.  Thanks very much.   A quick check suggests Colin's castings are just about bang on.   The drawing also confirms that the rod I have managed to find is about right too, so I am going to have another go.   I will report progress.   I've had a thought that I could try to resin cast them, so I will be treating Google as a friend as I find out how!

Regards

John

2 hours ago, Nig H said:

Anyone know what this is a model of? 

With no waist panels between the doors, it has a Wolverton look about it (LNWR/WCJS), but in that case it would have no eaves panels between the doors either.  :dontknow:

Jim

3 hours ago, Nig H said:

Hello,

Anyone know what this is a model of? 

Regards,

Nigel Hunt

Possibly a London & South Western Railway 30ft 6 wheel full brake? I think that there was one of these in the selection of Jidenco/Falcon Brass etches that got shot down to 2mm scale in the 1980s (and were available from BH Enterprises more recently).

http://www.falconbrassworks.com/details.php?code=WK403

Andy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

Possibly a London & South Western Railway 30ft 6 wheel full brake? I think that there was one of these in the selection of Jidenco/Falcon Brass etches that got shot down to 2mm scale in the 1980s (and were available from BH Enterprises more recently).

Andy

I'd agree with Andy. Ive built a couple though whoever did this one has also used the chassis on the etch as well.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

Andy

1 hour ago, queensquare said:

I'd agree with Andy. Ive built a couple though whoever did this one has also used the chassis on the etch as well.

Jerry

Thanks Andy and Jerry, that's answered my question. A lot of interesting stuff on the Falcon website. I wonder if they might do 2mm versions of some of their etches.

Nigel Hunt

1 hour ago, Nig H said:

Thanks Andy and Jerry, that's answered my question. A lot of interesting stuff on the Falcon website. I wonder if they might do 2mm versions of some of their etches.

Nigel Hunt

Sadly Falcon are, at best, moribund, there's a long topic somewhere here, and are very unlikely to be able to provide anything in 4mm, let alone prepare new 2mm versions. You'll have to make do with any earlier products if they turn up somewhere.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi team, new-ish Association member here.

Joined in May (after first toying with the idea 8 years ago!), when I found I needed an away/distraction from my main modelling discipline of QR in HO scale as I now also work in that industry.

Currently trodding the well worn path of 2FS newbies by building a 16t mineral wagon which is mostly complete, so have also started on the underframe for a standard van kit.

IMG_2252.JPG.f0d25800516cb01c90b8ea042b9805dc.JPG

I’d just like to know if there’s any standard for how far out from the buffer beam a DG should sit, as all my previous searches for this info have been fruitless thus far. Basically, is there any part of the coupling that should line up with part of the wagon e.g. the buffer faces?

Cheers,

Matt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, QRModeller said:

Hi team, new-ish Association member here.

Joined in May (after first toying with the idea 8 years ago!), when I found I needed an away/distraction from my main modelling discipline of QR in HO scale as I now also work in that industry.

Currently trodding the well worn path of 2FS newbies by building a 16t mineral wagon which is mostly complete, so have also started on the underframe for a standard van kit.

IMG_2252.JPG.f0d25800516cb01c90b8ea042b9805dc.JPG

I’d just like to know if there’s any standard for how far out from the buffer beam a DG should sit, as all my previous searches for this info have been fruitless thus far. Basically, is there any part of the coupling that should line up with part of the wagon e.g. the buffer faces?

Cheers,

Matt.

G'day Matt,

I tend to make sure the buffing plate is just in front of the buffers.  How far is really up to you, as if you are going with generous curves, it doesn't need to be too far, but the tighter the curve, the greater the chance of buffer lock if it isn't far enough.

There is a handy mounting jig from the Shops which I have found quite useful.  No photo to hand (technically working right now!) but will try to remember to organise tonight - or if you can join the ZAG meeting (details in another part of the 2mm Finescale section of RM Web) I'll be happy to show you.

Cheers

Kevin of Oz (the slightly north of Brisbane but not far enough to call it the Sunshine Coast part).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

G’day Kevin,

Thanks for that, just what I needed to know. Reckon I might take you up on the offer for a virtual ’how to’ as well, if I can remember to join the ZAG meeting in time!

Cheers,

Matt (originally from Brisbane but currently out West in the sticks at Dalby).

• Like 1

Hello All.

Here is a nice Sunday morning brain teaser for you all!

image.png.7ce2eeb44223fe6c3ce5c64a9a90e91f.png

Do the checkrails look OK (I know some aren't bent at the ends) and where would the gaps in the rails and sleepers need to be on this one?

J.

16 minutes ago, MAURICE040947 said:

Julia

what is that a prototype for? Barnstaple?

regards

M

Hi Maurice.

I guess so? I don't know where its all going. I'm just having a bit of fun.

Julia.

1 minute ago, -missy- said:

Thank you both :)

So something more like this?

image.png.b6d67fc39531d17adba82988778329b6.png

J.

I'd say so.  I suspect out here on a cane railway (which is about the only one I would think of that goes that narrow) they wouldn't necessarily have the switch rail - the check rail would be enough to bounce it over to where it was going.  Just a thought!

42 minutes ago, Sithlord75 said:

I'd say so.  I suspect out here on a cane railway (which is about the only one I would think of that goes that narrow) they wouldn't necessarily have the switch rail - the check rail would be enough to bounce it over to where it was going.  Just a thought!

I think that's what Mr Becasse suggested above. It would also avoid the problem of someone leaving the route set for the narrow gauge and trying to send a standard gauge train from right to left...

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

my track building is at a Stephens level ie basic all  power to your elbow for doing it the hard correct way 

Posted 7 hours ago (edited)

8 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

I think that's what Mr Becasse suggested above. It would also avoid the problem of someone leaving the route set for the narrow gauge and trying to send a standard gauge train from right to left...

Andy

I found on a web search a picture of such a diversion from narrow gauge to standard ( bu$$ered if I can find it now ) no moving blade more like a half a crossing.  Will confess its how I built one for my  DJLC,   It may not be pretty but it works for both the standard gauge and narrow gauge stuff

Nick B 

Nick B

Edited by nick_bastable
added info

21 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

I found on a web search a picture of such a diversion from narrow gauge to standard ( bu$$ered if I can find it now ) no moving blade more like a half a crossing.  Will confess its how I built one for my  DJLC,   It may not be pretty but it works for both the standard gauge and narrow gauge stuff

Nick B 

Nick B

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/pop_printer_friendly.asp?TOPIC_ID=39942

3rd photo down in the above link is what I think Julia wants to build.

Andy