Any Question Answered

Pixie

Is it possible to run 2mm fs engines/stock on N gauge track? Looking at starting to build 2mmfs kits up but the only layout would be a nice big N gauge one..

For the stock the 2mmSA does 12.25mm axles with N gauge wheels so you can build stock to run on N scale track. These fit the coach bogies and most of the wagons so you can run a fair bit of the 2mmSA rolling stock on N scale trackwork. There may be some minor compromises needed - eg you can't fit a couple of the detail bits on Chris Higgs shunter's wagon in with the extra thickness of N gauge wheels.

For the locomotive wheels no.

• Like 2

Is it possible to run 2mm fs engines/stock on N gauge track? Looking at starting to build 2mmfs kits up but the only layout would be a nice big N gauge one..

Whilst Jerry's answer is not wrong (2FS is a track and wheel standard) I suspect that you might just want to use some of the associations rolling stock kits? As Mr Pixels says the association chassis/bogies can be used with the special N gauge compatible wheels 2-027 and 2-028.

That said I did buy some Ultima/Cavendish stock at an exhibition once that came fitted with 2mm wheel sets that had been re-gauged to 9mm. I don't know how well they had run on the previous owners layout but you might get results acceptable to you. The above route (now it is available) would be far more preferable.

The membership pack arrived yesterday - so I'm very happy but my wife thinks I'm mad. She doesn't have much confidence in my DIY ability.

DIY and 2FS are not the same thing so there is hope for you yet...

As a Yorkshireman I look forward to seeing some models if they are to be L&Y. :yes:

Edited by richbrummitt

Hi all,

A quick question I haven't seen asked regarding DG couplings:

Is it better to bogie mount or chassis mount these on locos?

I'm modelling modern image with classes 37, 57, 66, 67, etc. Would the mounting position depend on the radius of my curves?

Cheers

Martin

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

A quick question I haven't seen asked regarding DG couplings:

Is it better to bogie mount or chassis mount these on locos?

I'm modelling modern image with classes 37, 57, 66, 67, etc. Would the mounting position depend on the radius of my curves?

Cheers

Martin

Basically yes but consider these points;

Providing curves are not less than 600mm chassis mounting should be fine

Easements to curves significantly eases the problems worse case is crossovers where two vehicles are on opposite curves

Coupling height is important mounting some on bogies and some on chassis could cause difficulties with heights

Vehicle overhang makes significant differences the closer the bogie centres are to the ends the less problems there will be.

If you can fit in a satisfactory layout using easy curves not only will it run better it will also look better However I would not stick to the easy curves if it will preclude having the layout you want. Just recognise it will raise more issues for you to solve.

Don

• RMweb Premium
Posted 15 September 2012 - 20:16

snapback.png2mm Andy, on 10 September 2012 - 18:15 , said:

If you don't hear anything within the next two weeks, pm me

The membership pack arrived yesterday - so I'm very happy but my wife thinks I'm mad. She doesn't have much confidence in my DIY ability.

welcome to the darkside come on in the waters lovely :no:

• Like 2

I need a 21:1 worm and gear set - which is the correct association part number? The picture seems to be with the wrong product on the website, unless I'm wrong?

21:1 is the 3-358. Picture looks correct to me, the highlighter on the label indicates dimensions of worm shaft and wheel bore.

- Nigel

I need a 21:1 worm and gear set - which is the correct association part number? The picture seems to be with the wrong product on the website, unless I'm wrong?

Richard,

You need 3-361 (the photo against 3-358 in the list is a photo of the gearset (worm and wormwheel).

Alternatively, buy 3-358 (wormwheel) and 3-383 (worm) if you need the 1.0mm bore worm.

Andy

The description could do with updating too since none of them are spur gears though!

They are. If we're being pedantic they're helical or skew cut, which makes them suited to use with the worm, but they are still spur gears and the description indicates they are for use with the worm. I'm sure Nigel would listen to any input regarding how things might be amended to improve clarity? (time for webmaster duties permitting, of course)

Edited by richbrummitt

They are. If we're being pedantic they're helical or skew cut, which makes them suited to use with the worm, but they are still spur gears and the description indicates they are for use with the worm. I'm sure Nigel would listen to any input regarding how things might be amended to improve clarity? (time for webmaster duties permitting, of course)

It does indicate that yes, but it's picture clearly shows the whole 21:1 gear set, not just the worm wheel. I'm sure anyone wanting one would call it a worm wheel, and anyone asking for a spur gear would expect a straight cut one.

Just doing my bit for the consumer, Eat your heart out Dom! :angel:

Descriptions aren't my bit. The text on the listing comes from the chief shop keeper as part of the pricelist file (product code, description, price, etc..). The spaghetti then displays the file on the website, finding any photographs or information files associated with that product code.

- Nigel

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The title of this thread is 'Any question answered' so, hopefully, my plea is not out of the way!

I am trying to locate a drawing (or even some etches?) for the ex LNWR Engineers' Saloon ED33 that is now preserved on the Kent & East Sussex with a view to building one in 2mm. I have a photo I took some years ago and it has always appealed as something that little bit different. Would also appreciate any advice from those who know this vehicle on a suitable 6 wheel chassis.

Thanks in anticipation

John

As the LNWR Society do not have the drawings in their list, I doubt the original plans exist. The K&ESR must have drawn up plans for the restoration and may provide a copy for a suitable donation.