Any Question Answered

Pixie

• RMweb Gold

Jerry, can I be cheeky and ask for dibs on one as I will be coming Sunday and there may have been a stampede for them by then :)

Tom

No problem. The box I am picking up is for me to take to the Southampton and St Albans shows in January - we'll see how long they last!

Jerry

Jerry, can I be cheeky and ask for dibs on one as I will be coming Sunday and there may have been a stampede for them by then :)

Tom

The stand is not going to run out on Sunday. As I have more copies of the book than anyone else (~800 copies stacked up), I can be very confident in that statement.

So no need to give Jerry more things to do and more things to be confused at the stand.

- Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Are there any templates to make Nn3 turnouts that are smaller than #4 preferably a #3 or a #2-1/2

Thanks!

-Cody F.

Are you really sure you want to make turnouts that tight. Stub points could be fairly tight. The easiest way is to draw your own template. Simply draw two strainght lines at the gauge you want the mark a crossing at 1:3 angle by marking three lengths along and one length out then complete the traingle that will give the crossing. Then using one of those flexi drawing curves mark out a suitable closure rail and blade. Mark out sleepers at about 2ft 6in spacing with one under the crossing nose and another under the blades tips adjusting those between slightly.

Don

• Like 1

Are you really sure you want to make turnouts that tight. Stub points could be fairly tight. The easiest way is to draw your own template. Simply draw two strainght lines at the gauge you want the mark a crossing at 1:3 angle by marking three lengths along and one length out then complete the traingle that will give the crossing. Then using one of those flexi drawing curves mark out a suitable closure rail and blade. Mark out sleepers at about 2ft 6in spacing with one under the crossing nose and another under the blades tips adjusting those between slightly.

Don

Never mind. I don't even know how to handlay turnouts, and i don't even know how to draft.

#4 turnouts look too big of a radius for what i'm trying to portray.

Thanks!

-Cody F.

Another question...

I have an idea for a display board that compares the railroads/railways of the USA (where i live) with those of the UK (which i model) in both prototype sense and scale modelling.

The "Display" consists of...

• The first "section" would be a typed section listing the most common US and UK modeling scales.
  • The second "section" would show same length sections of Atlas code 55 flex track , PECO code 55 flex track, and Easitrac. Each track sample would list the "prototype", the scale (or gauge) and the track gauge. I have sections of atlas and peco track, but still need Easitrac.
  • The third part would compare actual "rail" types, utilizing a crosstie with half showing a standard US tie plate, spikes and flat bottom rail, the other half would be a UK rail chair bolted to the tie with bullhead rail. I would like to use Gauge 1 components due to their size but i could use 7mm scale if it is easier to be had.
  • The fourth section would show two US Knuckle couplers (probably gauge 1 or O scale) and two UK buffer beams (sprung buffers) and three link couplings. The three link couplings would be able to be coupled and uncoupled with a shunter's pole.
  • The fifth and final section would be a comparison between a standard US 40' Boxcar from the 1940s and a GWR 12 ton Mink represented by the best color photos i can find on the net or that someone can point me to.

Is this a good idea or is it not worth all the effort? I put up a post in the "wanted" section to see if anyone could help me with obtaining some of the UK-specific items, but i've had no replies or PMs of any kind and I've already bumped it twice

Some advice/assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks so very much!

-Cody F.

• RMweb Gold

Cody I could find a few chairs and rail in 7mm also a pair of three link couplings. So while I am posting it I while send a short piece of easitrac. How you set them up/ mount them will be up to you. it may take a week or two to find the stuff as most is in boxes during alterations.

PM me your address

Don

Cody I could find a few chairs and rail in 7mm also a pair of three link couplings. So while I am posting it I while send a short piece of easitrac. How you set them up/ mount them will be up to you. it may take a week or two to find the stuff as most is in boxes during alterations.

PM me your address

Don

Much Appreciated!

PM sent.

-Cody F.

• 4 weeks later...

Are the Dapol panniers out yet? all the sites i've been checking either still have pre-order only or they dont even have them listed. This was supposed to be my Christmas present (i have a decoder eagerly awaiting) but I've not been able order one yet.

Thanks all!

-Cody Fisher

Are the Dapol panniers out yet? all the sites i've been checking either still have pre-order only or they dont even have them listed. This was supposed to be my Christmas present (i have a decoder eagerly awaiting) but I've not been able order one yet.

Thanks all!

-Cody Fisher

Yes - they've been available since early November and I think all scheduled liveries/variations have now been released. There are plently of others who have then and put comments/reviews in the thread in the Dapol forum.

It may be that you weren't quick enough and those not listing any have already sold out...

Yes - they've been available since early November and I think all scheduled liveries/variations have now been released. There are plently of others who have then and put comments/reviews in the thread in the Dapol forum.

It may be that you weren't quick enough and those not listing any have already sold out...

Odd... i've been checking since i found out about them when first mentioned in Railway modeller... and religiously in fact (every friday) and never once did i see them available for purchase... just pre-order... One site keeps saying "Soon"...

-Cody F.

Odd... i've been checking since i found out about them when first mentioned in Railway modeller... and religiously in fact (every friday) and never once did i see them available for purchase... just pre-order... One site keeps saying "Soon"...

-Cody F.

Which ones were you checking? The first four came out - and are probably all sold out now. Another four were listed at the same time for pre-order (these have code numbers which being with 2D) but are not due until next year.

Chris

Which ones were you checking? The first four came out - and are probably all sold out now. Another four were listed at the same time for pre-order (these have code numbers which being with 2D) but are not due until next year.

Chris

Mostly Hatton's since they had/have the lowest pre-order price, I can't remember the others now. I never even saw the original 4 come to sale, but now their gone. I checked all the other sites i know of that i've bought from before, but none (including hattons) have the orignal 4 listed, which if they carried them, they should be listed as at least "sold out". Have found only one version of the original 4 listed (of course in BR, not Great Western) I went ahead ad pre-ordered one of the second 4.

I just find it odd that they never were listed for sale online and then just disappeared.

Such is my luck i suppose. For them to be for sale, but when i go to buy one (three weeks before X-mas and again yesterday) they are nowhere to be found, just the second round...

-Cody F.

Mostly Hatton's since they had/have the lowest pre-order price, I can't remember the others now. I never even saw the original 4 come to sale, but now their gone. I checked all the other sites i know of that i've bought from before, but none (including hattons) have the orignal 4 listed, which if they carried them, they should be listed as at least "sold out". Have found only one version of the original 4 listed (of course in BR, not Great Western) I went ahead ad pre-ordered one of the second 4.

I just find it odd that they never were listed for sale online and then just disappeared.

Such is my luck i suppose. For them to be for sale, but when i go to buy one (three weeks before X-mas and again yesterday) they are nowhere to be found, just the second round...

-Cody F.

You must have missed them then. I ordered, and received my Dapol Pannier of the original group of 4 safe and sound from Hattons. That was in November, I think they were pretty much all gone before December.

Chris

You must have missed them then. I ordered, and received my Dapol Pannier of the original group of 4 safe and sound from Hattons. That was in November, I think they were pretty much all gone before December.

Chris

Oh, so they were limited run items then?

-Cody F.

Only in that Dapol generally produce a batch of 300 of each model (as Dave Jones from Dapol has said in other threads). Once that batch has gone then that's it.

There are some panniers around still - I'm pretty sure that my local model shop in York had a BR black version just before Christmas. You might get a better response if you asked in the relevant area (trade topics) of the forum - the 2mm area isn't really the right place.

Andy

Hi Cody,

A bit of Googling reveals a few stores are showing them as still available (I guess you're after a GWR green one from your other messages). Here's one for examples - http://www.bourtonmodelrailway.co.uk/Dapol-nd204c-060-pannier-loco-9659-gwr-green-gwr.ir?cName=new-in-this-month&src=froogle. I see you've preordered one, but if you're eager it might be worth dropping a post here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61750-Dapol-57xx-pannier-photo-review/

Cheers,

Pix

PS - which part of New Jersey are you in? Anywhere near Cranbury?

Edited by Pixie

Hi Cody,

A bit of Googling reveals a few stores are showing them as still available (I guess you're after a GWR green one from your other messages). Here's one for examples - http://www.bourtonmodelrailway.co.uk/Dapol-nd204c-060-pannier-loco-9659-gwr-green-gwr.ir?cName=new-in-this-month&src=froogle. I see you've preordered one, but if you're eager it might be worth dropping a post here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61750-Dapol-57xx-pannier-photo-review/

Cheers,

Pix

PS - which part of New Jersey are you in? Anywhere near Cranbury?

Since i've already preordered one I'm spent out being that the loco is my Christmas present (along with a renual of my subscription to Railway Modeller).

(Now if another of the Terriers in GWR green with Shirtbutton appeared before me once more, i might be hurried to chase it down.)

-Cody F.

P.S - No, i'm not exactly near Cranbury, but sorta close to all the cranberries.

I happen to be right across the river from Philadelphia, PA.

• 2 weeks later...