Jump to content

Any Question Answered


Pixie
 Share

Recommended Posts

You often need a bit of luck to find something specific. 

Everyone uses a slightly different search text so it helps if other people give it a try.

Most annoying thing is when you have seen something but can't find it again when you need it...

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Tony Gee found this wonderful clip which, as well as having footage of the original Buckingham in 1948 also includes some 2mm - twelve years before the formation of the Association. Does anyone know anything about the little 2mm 0-6-0 or the gents inspecting it.

 

Jerry

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's 1948, I'd bet on that being an H.B.Whall loco. According the the Association handbook, 1948 was the year he set up in business building 2mm scale locos, although he had been involved in the scale since the 1920s.

 

I doubt if either of the Groves are the people in the videos. They didn't get involved in 2mm until the late 50s. Before that H.H. (Pop) Groves built steam powered model aircraft! There is a photo of both Groves operating Rydes Vale in MRJ 89. The age of the crowd at Central Hall contrasts starkly with what you would see at a model railway exhibition now.

 

Anyway,  surely the one on the right is Mr Cholmondley-Warner?

 

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
Link to post
Share on other sites

I corresponded with Bert Groves when I was trying out AJ couplings as I knew they had used them.   It was he who put me onto using p/b wire as they had experienced the same problems as I had with the magnetism passing through the couplings and causing both to come down together.  He was most helpful and encouraging and even sent me samples of wire with which to experiment.

 

Jim

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, queensquare said:

Tony Gee found this wonderful clip which, as well as having footage of the original Buckingham in 1948 also includes some 2mm - twelve years before the formation of the Association. Does anyone know anything about the little 2mm 0-6-0 or the gents inspecting it.

 

Jerry

 

 

My experience of Central Hall shows from 1961 onwards is that professional photographers just grabbed anyone to make up a "crowd" shot so the two spectators could be anyone. However I think it very unlikely that they would have been allowed (because of insurance restrictions) to film a model out of its context during opening hours so, given that other parts of the film clip do show members of the public, I suspect that it was filmed on the Tuesday morning when the show (then) didn't open until noon and that the two 2mm admirers are therefore MRC members or other exhibitors. I don't recognise the moustache or the face behind it but believe the man on the left may well be John Gercken, who was later to serve (and very efficiently too) as the Club's chief steward for a number of years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

I think it was 62 when the Groves layout first appeared at Central Hall. I remember how impressive it was. I also spent some time chatting to Stewart Hine on the 2mm stand.

 

Don 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, bécasse said:

I don't recognise the moustache or the face behind it but believe the man on the left may well be John Gercken, who was later to serve (and very efficiently too) as the Club's chief steward for a number of years.

I remember John from the 70s & 80s could well be him. The glasses look the same. 
 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 01/12/2020 at 14:50, Donw said:

I think it was 62 when the Groves layout first appeared at Central Hall. I remember how impressive it was. I also spent some time chatting to Stewart Hine on the 2mm stand.

 

Don 

 

61, 62, 63 and 65. According to the article, four invitations for the same layout to the MRC exhibition was unheard of.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone quickly point me to the magazine article(s?) where it is described how Gordon Solloway does the whell turning to 2mm standards.

 

I have some 4mm Dapol wheels I want to turn down to a finer standard, I think the principles involved will be the same. They are nice metal wheels and only cost me 50p an axle!

 

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
Just now, Chris Higgs said:

Can anyone quickly point me to the magazine article(s?) where it is described how Gordon Solloway does the whell turning to 2mm standards.

 

I have some 4mm Dapol wheels I want to turn down to a finer standard, I think the principles involved will be the same. They are nice metal wheels and only cost me 50p an axle!

 

Chris

 

There was also an article by Mick Simpson on turning down some wheels  probably 5 or 6 years ago.

 

Don

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Chris,

 

Don't know whether the wheels involved are loco or rolling stock but in general the basics are the same whatever the scale involved. Mostly it's a case of adapting the techniques and tools used depending on the materials the wheels are composed of and what it is proposed to do with them, the level of alterations required/desired, how far you want to go. I've P4'd RTR wheels by leaving the flange depth pretty much untouched, much like my 2mm alterations. Re-profiling wheel tyres/treads can often be a tricky affair, as opposed to producing a new profile from a raw blank or casting.

 

Izzy

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Izzy said:

Hi Chris,

 

Don't know whether the wheels involved are loco or rolling stock but in general the basics are the same whatever the scale involved. Mostly it's a case of adapting the techniques and tools used depending on the materials the wheels are composed of and what it is proposed to do with them, the level of alterations required/desired, how far you want to go. I've P4'd RTR wheels by leaving the flange depth pretty much untouched, much like my 2mm alterations. Re-profiling wheel tyres/treads can often be a tricky affair, as opposed to producing a new profile from a raw blank or casting.

 

Izzy

 

Rolling stock wheels, and by concidence I want to 'P4' them but leaving a deeper flange depth than the standard. Just looking for tips on mounting them in the lathe efficiently as I have more than a 100 potentially to do.

 

I seem to remmeber someone was using a piece of tube in the tailstock to support the pinpoint at that end, allowing the wheels to be turned on the axle.

 

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking to model a BR HST as they were when they first stared running on WR, when the coaches were labelled Inter-City (without the 125)  I have a large number of Dapol Mk3s I picked up cheap as they were mis-printed with the lettering too low. I'm going to give them first a polish up as I find the paintwork duller than I remember, and then reletter. So the question is - where can I get transfers for these?

 

What I want to model is found in a picture towards the bottom of this link:

 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=262

 

Given the date and place, I might well have been found actually lurking on the platform.

 

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Chris Higgs said:

I'm looking to model a BR HST as they were when they first stared running on WR, when the coaches were labelled Inter-City (without the 125)  I have a large number of Dapol Mk3s I picked up cheap as they were mis-printed with the lettering too low. I'm going to give them first a polish up as I find the paintwork duller than I remember, and then reletter. So the question is - where can I get transfers for these?

 

What I want to model is found in a picture towards the bottom of this link:

 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=262

 

Given the date and place, I might well have been found actually lurking on the platform.

 

Chris

 

Railtec?

 

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?type=5&gauge=2mm&theme=56

 

Andy

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chris Higgs said:

 

Rolling stock wheels, and by concidence I want to 'P4' them but leaving a deeper flange depth than the standard. Just looking for tips on mounting them in the lathe efficiently as I have more than a 100 potentially to do.

 

I seem to remmeber someone was using a piece of tube in the tailstock to support the pinpoint at that end, allowing the wheels to be turned on the axle.

 

Chris

 

I've done Dapol/Romford wheels out of Dapol/Parkside kits, plus RTR steam & diesels. With some the flanges were just too deep, getting on for 1.0mm and had to be reduced a bit. I think Dapol & Romford rolling stock are around 0.5mm so fine as they are - Gibson (OO/EM) are deeper at around 0.6/0.7mm.

 

But... all have plastic bushes in the metal wheels, ( save the Gibson's which have plastic centres so the same really applies), and I would not recommend machining them on their axles. Tends to distort the bushes or make the wheels loose on them or the axles. It's best I found, as with the Farish metal wheels, to knock them off the axles, push out the bush, and mount on an arbour.

 

As per here:    https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/147403-priory-road-north-east-essex-in-br-days/&do=findComment&comment=3975057

 

Certainly the wheels need thinning down width ways after skimming the rears to get the desired flange width - I used 0.4mm. Otherwise they are too wide at the P4 btb and won't fit on the axles or go between the solebars/inside the bogies.

 

Here some Dapol I did some years back now. You can see how close the fronts are to the axle ends even thinned down, much the same as with 2mmSA 12.25 wheels

 

303730546_RMwebP4wagons03.jpg.72a7d35e139d42b79e7c0e4a1854f020.jpg

 

BTW Dapol are a light alloy as per Hornby rather than brass as per Romford & Farish. Machine okay, but softer & lighter, so care needed. Can't actually remember if they use the 'standard' 26mm axle length. I have a feeling they don't and also have different pin point standards to boot so other aspects to be wary of.

 

Hope this helps a bit.

 

Izzy

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Izzy said:

 

I've done Dapol/Romford wheels out of Dapol/Parkside kits, plus RTR steam & diesels. With some the flanges were just too deep, getting on for 1.0mm and had to be reduced a bit. I think Dapol & Romford rolling stock are around 0.5mm so fine as they are - Gibson (OO/EM) are deeper at around 0.6/0.7mm.

 

But... all have plastic bushes in the metal wheels, ( save the Gibson's which have plastic centres so the same really applies), and I would not recommend machining them on their axles. Tends to distort the bushes or make the wheels loose on them or the axles. It's best I found, as with the Farish metal wheels, to knock them off the axles, push out the bush, and mount on an arbour.

 

As per here:    https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/147403-priory-road-north-east-essex-in-br-days/&do=findComment&comment=3975057

 

Certainly the wheels need thinning down width ways after skimming the rears to get the desired flange width - I used 0.4mm. Otherwise they are too wide at the P4 btb and won't fit on the axles or go between the solebars/inside the bogies.

 

Here some Dapol I did some years back now. You can see how close the fronts are to the axle ends even thinned down, much the same as with 2mmSA 12.25 wheels

 

303730546_RMwebP4wagons03.jpg.72a7d35e139d42b79e7c0e4a1854f020.jpg

 

BTW Dapol are a light alloy as per Hornby rather than brass as per Romford & Farish. Machine okay, but softer & lighter, so care needed. Can't actually remember if they use the 'standard' 26mm axle length. I have a feeling they don't and also have different pin point standards to boot so other aspects to be wary of.

 

Hope this helps a bit.

 

Izzy

 

Thanks. The ones I have are 26mm pinpoints (well 25.95). I'll pop some into a wagon and see if they run smooth.

 

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...