Any Question Answered

Pixie

• RMweb Premium

I have used some Woodlands Scenics stuff, mine run coal, as it looked a better size for 2mm than the lump coal they also produce. You can sieve/grade it to vary things a bit as well, it's not totally uniform in size/shape. I glue it down (pva) onto a piece of card stuck on top of foam so the wagons can run loaded or not.

334501667_RMwebWL01.jpg.845551851e2b9b68a13e5009c01cf1d6.jpg

683836101_RMwebWL02.jpg.f88cbe0cf23b429c3664603ee74151f1.jpg

791701787_RMwebWL03.jpg.9497a45d182b54ab23deb2df2f601ad9.jpg

Izzy

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Nothing looks like coal like coal!  get a lump of coal, smash it down and sieve it through a tea strainer.  Fit a false floor in the wagon 2-3mm below the top, coat it with a thick layer of 5-minute epoxy (black if possible), sprinkle on a generous layer of coal, press it down firmly with a wad of tissue and leave for ½ an hour or so to set fully.  Shake off the excess onto a sheet of paper and return to the jar.  Job done!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There are few things that scale down as well as coal probably due to its crystaline nature.  Also I find that some of the new adhesive/sealants builders merchants sell. These seem to come in various colours including black. You do need to have one of those guns used to squeeze it out of a tube as used for sealing baths or sealing round windows.  A bit of that smeared over the false floor then sprinkled with the coal will do the job too.

Don  

• Like 1

Which raises a modelling question. Presumably the big lumps usually went direct to industrial users, so most station yards would handle only the smaller grades. I assume too that most coal was graded at the colliery, so it would be unusual to see ungraded coal (ie a wide range of coal sizes) in a single wagon.  

Guest WM183

Hi all.

I am a railway modeler living in the Netherlands, and most of what I do is American-prototype in HO, but as of late, I have become enamored with the GWR, and with its myriad small steam locomotives and branch line operations in particular. I have decided to go ahead and start on a simple BLT layout, but I am debating between normal N scale and 2mm finescale. I suppose my question is:

Does the 2mm Finescale association make chassis kits for the Dapol 45xx small prairie and the varied Dapol 67xx/87xx types? Are they terribly difficult conversions? I've done a fair amount of scratchbuilding and bashing in both HO and N, mostly with brass imports, so I am not terribly afraid of working in brass.

Thanks much!

Amanda 

• RMweb Gold

David Eveleigh did a chassis for the 45xx his website may indicate whether he has any for sale at the moment. The association does a chassis for the Graham Farish pannier and conversion bearings for the Dapol one. This link shows what is available from the association http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/shops.php?shop_num=3  only available to members but you can see what is offered.

I suggest you give it a try a  pannier and a few wagons a couple of turnouts for a couple of sidings and you can see if it suits. 

Don

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Amanda,

The GWR isn't my thing but the various chassis offered by the association can be found here:-

http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/shops.php?shop_num=3

The chassis kits are about half way down the page.

No Dapol 45xx though

Dave Everleigh does one though:-

http://www.2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/davideveleigh/index.htm

Sheet 10 toward the bottom of the page.

I can't comment on the ease of construction but I believe it was covered in an article in the Model Railway Journal magazine a while back.

Someone might be able to advise the edition?

3 hours ago, WM183 said:

Hi all.

I am a railway modeler living in the Netherlands, and most of what I do is American-prototype in HO, but as of late, I have become enamored with the GWR, and with its myriad small steam locomotives and branch line operations in particular. I have decided to go ahead and start on a simple BLT layout, but I am debating between normal N scale and 2mm finescale. I suppose my question is:

Does the 2mm Finescale association make chassis kits for the Dapol 45xx small prairie and the varied Dapol 67xx/87xx types? Are they terribly difficult conversions? I've done a fair amount of scratchbuilding and bashing in both HO and N, mostly with brass imports, so I am not terribly afraid of working in brass.

Thanks much!

Amanda 

The Association 57XX chassis although designed for the older Farish version should work with the Dapol body as well.

Should you want something a little different I do a chassis if you would like to build your 45XX as a 44XX instead.  But I would recommend starting with the Pannier.

Perhaps the easiest GWR loco is however the Bachmann 64XX as Assocition components can be used to drop in 2FS wheels into the Bachmann chassis,

Chris

Guest WM183

Thank you much all! I didn't know the conversion kit was for the older Farish model, those are quite a bit less on the auction site! I will get one of those and then order some track, a couple wagons, and a chassis kit from the association and see what I think of it. I will try a 44xx (or 45xx) as my 2nd loco if 2mm clicks for me. I am sure I will have more questions!

Thanks again,

Amanda

• RMweb Gold

Can I pick the combined brains and experience out there?

I am constructing a dummy 6 wheeled tender chassis ( holding the bearings and wheels but not cosmetic.).

I have over drilled the bearings on the first two axles to 1.6mm and fitted Simpson springs.

The chassis still rocks on the centre axle. I snapped a drill bit in the centre axle when starting the hole. I thought I had cleared it all out. I suspect a small bit remained and has pushed the new drill bit out of alignment. The rock is at least 0.2mm.

Should I:

1 - scrap the chassis and start again (and loose a weekend's work)

2 - Over drill the centre bearing to remove the rock and create a sloppy fit

3 - Remove the bearings and overdrill the bearings hole and reinsert the bearings slightly higher.

Or some thing else?

I am currently thinking the last option might work. Would option 2 be too much of a bodge?

Thanks

Angus

Edited by Argos

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn’t fix the centre bearing higher, you would loose the benefit of the Simpson spring and current collection. I’d just tend to suggest running a rat tail needle file in the top of the centre bearings to allow the axle to rise, elongating the hole upwards into a slot. So long as the springs press the wheels down onto the rail it will work fine. 

Izzy

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/03/2019 at 13:36, Caley Jim said:

Nothing looks like coal like coal!  get a lump of coal, smash it down and sieve it through a tea strainer.  Fit a false floor in the wagon 2-3mm below the top, coat it with a thick layer of 5-minute epoxy (black if possible), sprinkle on a generous layer of coal, press it down firmly with a wad of tissue and leave for ½ an hour or so to set fully.  Shake off the excess onto a sheet of paper and return to the jar.  Job done!

Jim

This does beg the question though - where, in this day and age, do you get hold of ONE lump of coal?

I think the handful of people I know who have open fires that they burn coal on, use some kind of manufactured briquette things. Nabbing a stray lump from a preserved railway doesn't seem too realistic these days either, with yards fenced off for health and safety etc! 

I wonder if lumpwood charcoal might actually replicate the crystalline structure in the way it breaks down, and therefore work? Even messier than real coal though, I think.

Justin

On 17/03/2019 at 04:11, dpgibbons said:

Which raises a modelling question. Presumably the big lumps usually went direct to industrial users, so most station yards would handle only the smaller grades. I assume too that most coal was graded at the colliery, so it would be unusual to see ungraded coal (ie a wide range of coal sizes) in a single wagon.  

I thought it was the firemans job to break up the large lumps, but I guess it depends on what is "large" :)

40 minutes ago, justin1985 said:

This does beg the question though - where, in this day and age, do you get hold of ONE lump of coal?

I think the handful of people I know who have open fires that they burn coal on, use some kind of manufactured briquette things. Nabbing a stray lump from a preserved railway doesn't seem too realistic these days either, with yards fenced off for health and safety etc! 

I wonder if lumpwood charcoal might actually replicate the crystalline structure in the way it breaks down, and therefore work? Even messier than real coal though, I think.

Justin

Get in position with young child next to a steam charter as it arrives in station, ask fireman if you can hold a piece of coal to show said child (who looks like will be suitably upset if fireman refuses). 

Once you have the piece of coal in your hand, SCARPER!!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Or go to a traction engine rally (which will probably be using Welsh Dry Steam coal) or speak nicely to someone with a miniature traction engine (ash can also be supplied).

Tim

97D09061-0E20-4388-929E-CB9F30450DBE.jpeg

341FD3CD-18EB-4509-ACDA-77ACD3C91818.jpeg

Edited by CF MRC
Better picture
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Visit Hopewell Colliery Museum in the Forest of Dean. I am sure you could get a lump of coal from them after visiting. The freeminers will sell you a bag of coal but that is rather more than you need for 2mm. I did used to find odd lumps in the garden (the coal had been removed where it outcroped on that land) when we lived there.

Don

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Izzy said:

I wouldn’t fix the centre bearing higher, you would loose the benefit of the Simpson spring and current collection. I’d just tend to suggest running a rat tail needle file in the top of the centre bearings to allow the axle to rise, elongating the hole upwards into a slot. So long as the springs press the wheels down onto the rail it will work fine. 

Izzy

Hi Izzy,

I was more thinking of re- centring the bearing hole so the spring still worked and avoided excess slop.

Reaming the hole inside the bearing up ward to give more move movement in the vertical plain sounds like a plan, if fiddly to achieve.

Thanks

Angus

Edited by Argos

On 17/03/2019 at 16:09, WM183 said:

Hi all.

I am a railway modeler living in the Netherlands...

Amanda 

I don't know where you live but if you're near Rotterdam I could give you some insight.

At the moment I'm building a small 2mm scale layout for the Diamond Jubilee of the 2mm scale Association and I just ordered the chassis components for an etched loco kit.

Jan

Guest WM183
9 hours ago, Jan W said:

I don't know where you live but if you're near Rotterdam I could give you some insight.

At the moment I'm building a small 2mm scale layout for the Diamond Jubilee of the 2mm scale Association and I just ordered the chassis components for an etched loco kit.

Jan

Hi Jan,

I live down in Heerlen, so about as far as one can get from Rotterdam and still be in the Netherlands! I've ordered the starter track and wagon kit from the association, and will be joining as soon as payday comes around. I'm also bidding on a pannier at the moment, and will get a chassis kit for it if I win it, so insight will be welcome. Thanks much!

Amanda

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, justin1985 said:

Justin

Look up you nearest coal merchants and unless you live in the middle of a smokeless city,  there are still a lot still around. Take a jar, a scoop and gloves. Go to their office ask  nicely, explaining what it's for, and they'll quite happily let you take a scoop of the dust and little bits lying around on the floor of the yard... Ready ground!!! no smashing up needed, just sieving. 

Edited by TheQ

28 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Hi Jan,

I live down in Heerlen, so about as far as one can get from Rotterdam and still be in the Netherlands! I've ordered the starter track and wagon kit from the association, and will be joining as soon as payday comes around. I'm also bidding on a pannier at the moment, and will get a chassis kit for it if I win it, so insight will be welcome. Thanks much!

Amanda

You can also get the Farish pannier bodies at BR Lines, albeit probably at at slightly higher price.  Less detail than the Dapol, and if you own both you can see the Farish ones are a touch overscale. But quite a bit more weight, which will help with adhesion.

Chris

33 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Look up you nearest coal merchants and unless you live in the middle of a smokeless city,  there are still a lot still around. 

I do indeed live in London - so no luck there. I think Professor W's kind offer of a lump from his traction engine might be the best way forward!

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, justin1985 said:

Justin

Yes, this is why I use and suggested the WS mine run coal. I worked for many years with the last person to have a coal merchants in my area (after Peter closed it) - Grants of Walton-on Naze, a several generations business - and know of none other within the area. And of course you want 'proper' coal to break down, not the smokeless varieties which don't look the same, unless you want coke....

Izzy

On 17/03/2019 at 04:11, dpgibbons said:

On the contrary; most industrial users would rely on mechanical feed to the grate/ firebox, and so would be quite picky about the size of coal. Into the 1970s, my parents used to get coal delivered, often with quite large lumps in it; one of my jobs was to go into our coal-house, and that of my grand-parents, after a delivery, and smash up the larger lumps. This would have been South Wales bituminous coal, normally from Maesteg.