Mr Simon's N and 2mm Workbench - pg29> N V1 2-6-2, 2mm L&Y class 23, assorted wagons and stuff

Just seen this thread, great stuff Simon, I have a small N gauge layout in my workshop in the loft, and have some detail bits for the 4MT and N Brass Buffers andhandrails etc, one day I will get round to, have done their Bulleid bogie on the BoB which really does improve the look, just got to sort out front of cab windows as look wierd. Got a BH enterprises 205 thumper which am part way through, will have to arrange a To do list as well, may be might get some work done that way.

Thanks for sharing this thread

All the best

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris, Thanks for your message :D I agree about the N Brass bogies, they really improve the look compared to the old tiny wheel ones - I've got a Merchant Navy in my stock box which I'm never sure about upgrading for rail tour duty on my layout. To do lists are quite useful, what I found worked for me is having the usual 'to build' list and then going through the boxes to find the little unfinished projects and making a short list of ones to finish - both my lists went slightly out the window after moving house twice and finding myself without stock for an exhibition!

Hope the thumper goes together well, I've never built a BHE kit so would be interested to see how it goes!

Thanks again

Simon

• RMweb Premium

hehe its one of those kits I've been meaning to try for years and never did! Its too long since I did any work on Gresby - especially as I'm supposed to be exibiting it next year!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

Today, with the aid of photos, I managed to get the securing chains onto the conflats that were on my desk for Grantham Show - its amazing what a difference they make, although to a young pup like me used to seeing modern containers fixing onto wagons it looks a bit odd them being chained down. Excellent etchings though:

post-6199-0-29068600-1544992771.jpg
I just need to touch up the hooks where the glue took the paint off, but thats a quick job!

I also did a bit of work on the Midland van:

post-6199-0-94344500-1544992778.jpg
I need to fill the corners, tweek the slatts on the end grills, make a roof and then I can get it painted in time for Leamington...

Lots to do!
Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Just returned from Grantham show and already back tied to the modelling desk! The stock I prepared for Stamford East performed well, the layout was well recieved and I remembered just how much fun shunting is :D

post-6199-0-78412800-1544992682.jpg
Here is the goods shed which had appeared since I last saw the layout - unfortunately it appeared over one of the uncoupling magnets, but it looked good

Back to the grind then I've still got a pile of pre-grouping coaches to build - four by bed time on Thursday so they can be used at Leammington, I haven't made any more progress on the Midland Van (in the posts above) but I've made a start on a PC Models Midland 6 Wheel Brake 3rd. I got hold of a Stove chassis from the NGS because it looked to be the same size as the etched chassis I didn't fancy using:

post-6199-0-06706600-1544992690.jpg
Unfortunately its 5mm too long. Woo. Tonight I removed everything above the solebar, the battery boxes and 3mm from each end. Then I added the etched bufferbeams that came with the kit:

post-6199-0-32767700-1544992697.jpg
Well there goes the warranty...

Also, I accidentally said I'd scratchbuild an LNER C12 for use on Stamford East... I'm not sure how I get myself in to these situations (although I've measured up a 14xx and varous bogie wheels so it shouldn't be too bad) but I don't reckon it'll be finished by the NGS AGM. I'll put pictures of the build on here of course :D

Best get cracking I suppose!
Simon

Edited by MrSimon

• RMweb Premium

Ah I forgot all about the 2mm-N difference... hmmm, hope the widths alright then or it might start to look a bit odd! Oh well - I used the etched chassis on the North Staffordshire 6 wheelers I made last year and they've been problematic so I thought I'd give the stove chassis a try.

Thanks Millerhillboy, once I'd looked at some pics of the real thing and worked out which way up they should go it was a really simple addition to the wagon - I think they'd look even better holding a shorter container on, whih I might try next!

Thanks

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

I got a bit more work done on the 6 wheeler today, and there was a bit of width difference, but I could take just under a millimeter of over hang from the top of the stove chassis and a a millimeter from the foot board and it seems to look OK. After joining the inner sides to one end it became apparent that I would need to fabricate a floor to keep the sides rigid, so I made one, and then added compartment bulkheads, seats and a brake wheel:

post-6199-0-95128400-1544992554.jpg
I'll give it a spot of paint before bed and the coach should be ready to put together in the morning:D

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon

• RMweb Premium

They're Colin Ashby seating strips from the society shop - I got them a few years ago so not sure how readily available they are now (but I need to find more soon because I'm nearing the end of my stash)

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

After being rained off painting the conservatory I managed to get ahead with the Midland coaches :D

The two 6-wheelers are ready to have the outer sides stuck on and the meat van just needs a bit of filling around the edges before finishing off the piant:

post-6199-0-20281000-1544992457.jpg
post-6199-0-81547800-1544992465.jpg
I also got the last van for Leammington built:

post-6199-0-06562600-1544992472.jpg
Just paint roofs and sort out the underframes and thats my pre-grouping modelling done for the year :D

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon

• RMweb Premium

They're Colin Ashby seating strips from the society shop - I got them a few years ago so not sure how readily available they are now (but I need to find more soon because I'm nearing the end of my stash)

Thanks Simon, I have a nasty feeling that those seats are akin to hens teeth at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

Ooer, had I known that I'd definitely have stuck bits of card in for the seats and saved the plastic ones for one of my own coaches!

Well, they're pretty much finished - I think the roofs are temporary, especially on the 6 wheelers, but you'll have to ask me again in a few years about that... Did I mention I'm not a big fan of pre grouping modelling?

post-6199-0-58033200-1544990184.jpg

post-6199-0-62522900-1544990190.jpg

Right then, off to Leammington! Gresby when I get back :D

Lots to do

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Haha I might well line them out, but for later period LMS which I'm hoping is very plain... so far I've got 8 LMS coaches and 2 LNER to transfer up - but they can wait! I've got some lovely simple modern image bits to be getting on with for the next few months, but I might have them done by the next time Parnham's goes out. It was a good show, and the engines I've built and repaired performed well over the weekend - but we need to go through the stock box and either sell or nationalise a lot of it (we forgot a whole stock box, and except for the brake vans we didn't notice) so watch this space!

Now then, Gresby's first exhibition in 8 months. Best get cracking!

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

After boldly stating that I'd best get cracking I've done approximately nothing for two weeks. However, a very enjoyable morning at Loughborough Model Rail Show today seems to have re-awakenned my modelling mojo and after dinner tonight I dug out the cutting mat, found my tools and tried to remember what I'm supposed to do with a clean workbench. Seeing as how my absolute main top priority is getting my layout ready to be exhibited and build/paint/weather the stock to go on it, the first thing I did was start finishing off a wagon that will never be used on the layout... ever:

post-6199-0-20065100-1544990055.jpg
I put the container-securing chains on the other side of the wagon that I started while demonstrating at the N Gauge Show... It needs a lot of touching up, it was quite dark where the NGS stand was at Leamington and while I'm used to feeling my way round a dark desk I didn't seem to get the hang of it.

post-6199-0-74197300-1544990061.jpg
At Leamington I bought a tanker detailling kit, which I've not seen around for a while. Tonight I selected the next pair of tankers to detail and tomorrow I'll make a start on them, and dig out all the old etched sprues I'm sure I've kept so I can fit the lifting tab things to all my tankers.

post-6199-0-68726200-1544990074.jpg
Today's little hoard included another Clam for my engineers train, the others in the picture are to paint, and I want to add a brake pipe to the top Clam (its the end of the train) I've already built the Clam:

post-6199-0-53385300-1544990084.jpg

Since doing the demonstration at TINGS I've been seriously considering taking the O1 I finished at Christmas back onto the work bench to detail it - I had it on the table next to the Crab for 2 hours and it looked a bit crude in comparison... I'm thinking handrails, lamp irons, cab glazing, coupling hook, brake/air pipes, cab glazing and maybe even taking the kink out of the footplate:

post-6199-0-68654400-1544990091.jpg
Maybe it can wait until I've done a bit of layout work though - a sort of "welldone treat" if you like...

And then theres still the banana vans!

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

Glad to see you've got your mojo back! Some ESC-1 bogies are being released fairly soon - they should make a big difference to the appearance of those Farish tankers!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

I'll keep an eye out for the bogies; I've fitted two tankers with the ATM Gloucester bogies and the difference is remarkable. Will they come with wheels?

a vote from me for detailing the O1 :yes:

looks like you could add coal into the tender as well by the looks of things.

Hi, theres a some coal in the tender at the bottom, but it could probably do with going on shed :-) Theres a few bits I need to order before I can start work on the O1 but it will definitely move on to the list.

Lots to do!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

Today I have spent most of the afternoon cutting slits in the chassis' of most of my tanker rake to fit the lifting lugs that I shied away from fitting when I originally detailed most of my rake five years ago, I also fitted the brake wheels that I missed off through fear of them being snapped/bent in the unsuitable stock boxes I had at the time. Here is the undetailed tanker from post #69 with the TPM detailing kit on:

post-6199-0-02997600-1544989932.jpg
It is also fitted with replacement ends and repainted/transferred (but I did that ages ago when the detailing kits were out of stock - its not been that busy an afternoon!) I've fitted the extra bits to 10 other tankers, with enough bits to do four more, then it'll be time to think about weathering them :(

As I said above, I'm slowly replacing the bogies on my tankers - some will be the ATM Gloucester Bogies and others will be the new bogies Ben told me about above :sungum: Here is one of the tankers I have re-bogied:

post-6199-0-80407300-1544989937.jpg
Its a definite improvement :D

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben,

I'll keep an eye out for the bogies; I've fitted two tankers with the ATM Gloucester bogies and the difference is remarkable. Will they come with wheels?

Lots to do!

Simon

Hi Simon,

The bogies will be supplied with or without wheels, and with either conventional coupler pockets or NEM couplers using new NEM adaptors developed to fit TPM/ATM/NGS bogies. A full announcement will be made in due course, once final testing is completed. The idea of developing the NEM adaptor is to enable all NGS and TPM bogie wagons to take the new couplers under development by the major manufacturers.

I will post a photo of the new items in this thread as soon as possible. They aren't quite ready for market yet, but I anticipate that they will be soon. The price hasn't yet been finalised, but it is likely to be comparable with similar products and kept as low as possible.

cheers

Ben A.