LT Modelling standards

L49

First I would like to say thanks to Andy for setting up a London Underground group. I think it will be a fantastic way for all of us who model LT in it's various eras to get together and swap ideas.

I have been thinking for ages about putting together a set of standards for modelling LT such as tunnel dimensions, 3rd rail configurations, trackwork and lineside equipment, anything really that we can standardise on to get the look and feel of the Underground in model form, and give us a space so that we can share experience of the different things that work well for us (and the things that can go wrong!). What does anyone else think about this?

Yes, definitely a good idea.

Are you thinking of something along the lines of the BRMSB Standard Dimensions page?

Also of use would be a diagrammatic precis of Russ Elliott's 3rd and 4th rail dimensions and settings page.

I also belong to the Southern Railway/Region Group. They've collated a list of links to Workbenches, Layouts and Products ... maybe a similar list would be a useful resource for this group at some point?

I'm a long way off modelling the Underground myself, but I'm interested in following developments on all levels in the meantime. Anyway, here's to the London Underground Group! :yes:

Mark

First I would like to say thanks to Andy for setting up a London Underground group. I think it will be a fantastic way for all of us who model LT in it's various eras to get together and swap ideas.

I have been thinking for ages about putting together a set of standards for modelling LT such as tunnel dimensions, 3rd rail configurations, trackwork and lineside equipment, anything really that we can standardise on to get the look and feel of the Underground in model form, and give us a space so that we can share experience of the different things that work well for us (and the things that can go wrong!). What does anyone else think about this?

I agree that an LT group is needed and am very pleased that one has been set up as that is my main modelling interest.

However, I'm not so sure about standards as most of those will be set by the prototype, or the gauge. For instance, trying to set up standards for placing the outside conductor rail are driven by the sleeper sizing which is driven by the gauge. On OO trackwork the collector shoes will always project beyond the conductor rails as the bogie widths are correct to scale and along with them the shoebeam and collector shoes, but the sleepers are too short. The only cure is to model in P4, but that's not for me.

What might be more use is to have a list of resources/links to web sites with the prototype dimensions, supppliers/retailers of models and accessories, etc.

• RMweb Premium

I agree that an LT group is needed and am very pleased that one has been set up as that is my main modelling interest.

Hi GU,

I'd had a feeling that there are quite a few LU modellers round RMweb, and mentioned to Andy that I'm happy to look after the Group if he wanted to set one up. This thread so far has shown that to be a popular move! I notice that you have written LT rather than LU. Perhaps there is a consensus that the interests of the group should spread beyond just LUL and London Overground? I'll raise that tomorrow when I set to write the introduction page.

What might be more use is to have a list of resources/links to web sites with the prototype dimensions, suppliers/retailers of models and accessories, etc.

I intend to set up some 'link' threads for us to add our collective knowledge of useful sites. Have a look at what I set up in the Swiss Railways Group to see what I have in mind as a format.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

I've started the ball rolling by creating the LT Resources thread.

I have seen the similar thread on the Swiss Group Forum and will be adding some links of my own to that when time permits.

London Underground is a relatively recent invention. If you model the 1960s it was London Transport then. Before that it was LPTB, and before that was UERL (Underground Electric Railways of London) and the Metropolitan Railway.

The use of the DC electric tracks to Watford Junction does give us an overlap with the North London Group Forum, but the conversion of the East London Line to Overground means we could include Overground related issues for the lines concerned (Bakerloo and Metropolitan/ELL).

There will also be overlap with the Electrification Group and Trams and Tramways Groups, but I think these issues will resolve themselves with folks joining other groups and adding links where appropriate so that we don't end up with the same info popping up everywhere that it is relevant.

So it seems to me that the natural scope is all things to do with public transport in London administered by LT, and its predecessor and successor bodies.

What does everyone else think?

Dave,

I've started the ball rolling by creating the LT Resources thread.

I have seen the similar thread on the Swiss Group Forum and will be adding some links of my own to that when time permits.

London Underground is a relatively recent invention. If you model the 1960s it was London Transport then. Before that it was LPTB, and before that was UERL (Underground Electric Railways of London) and the Metropolitan Railway.

The use of the DC electric tracks to Watford Junction does give us an overlap with the North London Group Forum, but the conversion of the East London Line to Overground means we could include Overground related issues for the lines concerned (Bakerloo and Metropolitan/ELL).

There will also be overlap with the Electrification Group and Trams and Tramways Groups, but I think these issues will resolve themselves with folks joining other groups and adding links where appropriate so that we don't end up with the same info popping up everywhere that it is relevant.

So it seems to me that the natural scope is all things to do with public transport in London administered by LT, and its predecessor and successor bodies.

What does everyone else think?

Whilst there is overlap with other Groups the London Underground is a large system with a wealth of history. More people are modelling the Underground now so long my the Group prosper.

Xerces Fobe

• RMweb Premium

London-wide transport it will be, then. I had forgotten about the Docklands Light Railway yesterday, that is certainly a modern iconic London rail-based transport system!

There's no problem (as far as I can see) with overlap with other Groups - a bit of inter-group cross fertilisation will expand the minds of most of us!

Cheers,

Dave

Cross Group cross -fertilisation in action :laugh:

DSCN9883edt2.jpg

The Acton Shunter L11 has a day out at Croxley !

Xerces Fobe

Cor! The almighty railtour that would have had to take to get from Acton to Croxley: They could have sold tickets and called it an LCGB tour :D

Acton, Rayners, Finchley Rd, Baker Street, Croxley. I would have paid to do it!

the London Underground is a large system with a wealth of history.

I have always found the history of the Underground to be a fascinating subject. I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions on this subject.

My "planned" layout is here . There's not been much physical progress recently although research seems keep me rather too pre-occupied.

F

• RMweb Premium

I have always found the history of the Underground to be a fascinating subject. I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions on this subject.

Certainly true - something with which I would annoy or entertain workmates (depending on their interest in the subject) whilst working there. I've started a 'historical' thread, and kicked it off with a link to a relevent thread from RMweb3.

Dave

• 5 years later...

Some LU-related 3D printed signals and parts here

EDIT: having looked more closely at the "real life" models, the aspects on each signal head should perhaps be a bit closer together (saw a section out horizontally and glue back together), but otherwise not a bad effort at all, especially with the "pig's ear" indicators.

The fog repeater heads look good too, and today's tiny surface-mount LEDs should fit comfortably in all of them.

Archived