Lord Salisbury

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping that someone could very kindly point me in the right direction for one or two decent photos (B/W or colour) of the Peckett 0-6-0ST 'Lord Salisbury' that used to work at Norton Hill Colliery (and previously at Frog Lane Colliery, near Coalpit Heath), please.

I am aware of the B/W photo in 'The Somerset & Dorset in the 1950s' (Ivo Peters, OPC), and also that in 'Somerset & Dorset Steam Finale' (Michael Welch, Runpast) and finally that in 'On Somerset & Dorset Lines' (Robotham, Ian Allen).

Just wondered if there are any more out there?

Many thanks.

The Colour of Steam Volume 2, The Somerset & Dorset Line, R C Riley (Atlantic 1984) ISBN 0 906899 12 5

A colour (there's a surprise, given the titlemellow.gif) photo of Lord Salisbury looking handsome in green, taken on 3 July 1961

I'll check my other S&D books

Hello Captain

Also have a look at 'Frog Lane Colliery Sixty Years On' ISBN 9781899889334 page 76.

There is a picture of said loco (although taken at Norton Hill colliery in 1950).

Also, on the opposite page is a pic of one of the Coalpit Heath Coal wagons.

Hope that helps

Jules (a stones throw from the site of said colliery - I remember it when there was still a slag tip...)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone for your most helpful suggestions so far. I do actually have the R.C. Riley book, as it turns out (I'd forgotten about it!!), so that's one additional photo.

I'll check the other two sources suggested by Jules and Industrial when I get the opportunity and time.

Thanks again.

• 9 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looking around for reference images I found this picture on Flickr. Some googling later brought me here...

Peckett 0-6-0 Lord Salisbury  NCB Norton Hill colliery Somerset 1964 by John Wiltshire

Credit: John Wiltshire/Peter Brabham.

So I am able to answer a 9 year old question but also I hope people don't mind me taking the chance to ask the question I was trying to answer to when I found this thread.

From what I can work out this is a Peckett X class. Visually everything from the running board up looks similar to the Hornby B2. I think the wheels size/spacing might be different but could a different chassis under the Hornby body make a good representation?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Looking around for reference images I found this picture on Flickr. Some googling later brought me here...

Peckett 0-6-0 Lord Salisbury  NCB Norton Hill colliery Somerset 1964 by John Wiltshire

Credit: John Wiltshire/Peter Brabham.

So I am able to answer a 9 year old question but also I hope people don't mind me taking the chance to ask the question I was trying to answer to when I found this thread.

From what I can work out this is a Peckett X class. Visually everything from the running board up looks similar to the Hornby B2. I think the wheels size/spacing might be different but could a different chassis under the Hornby body make a good representation?

Yes, Lord Salisbury was an X class (Mercian used to do a kit). Though superficially similar - the Peckett house style was strong - the wheels are bigger, the wheelbase is probably a bit longer, the boiler is certainly mounted a bit higher and that has quite a big effect on appearance, and the cab is a strange squashed thing rather than the more elegant and generous effort on the B2.

I wouldn't even think of it but your mileage may vary.

Adam

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think it was a lot bigger than a B2.

Mercian still do the kit. But you might need to get in touch or buy it from their eBay store if you want one.

http://www.modelrailways.tv/home.html

Jason

I think I found their page but there were only a few 7mm items looks like they are winding down?

12 hours ago, Adam said:

Yes, Lord Salisbury was an X class (Mercian used to do a kit). Though superficially similar - the Peckett house style was strong - the wheels are bigger, the wheelbase is probably a bit longer, the boiler is certainly mounted a bit higher and that has quite a big effect on appearance, and the cab is a strange squashed thing rather than the more elegant and generous effort on the B2.

I wouldn't even think of it but your mileage may vary.

Adam

Looking again I can see what you mean. The X has splashers above the running plate and (in 4mm world) the boiler looks to be 2mm higher compared to the cab. Not insurmountable so far. Anyone know the wheel size/ wheelbase of the X?

58 minutes ago, SR71 said:

I think I found their page but there were only a few 7mm items looks like they are winding down?

Looking again I can see what you mean. The X has splashers above the running plate and (in 4mm world) the boiler looks to be 2mm higher compared to the cab. Not insurmountable so far. Anyone know the wheel size/ wheelbase of the X?

I'm sure I can find my Mercian rendition of an X and take some basic measurements. The real thing was a bigger loco, and more powerful than a B2, which was a 14" type - the X had 16" cylinders and thus the boiler was likely bigger in length and diameter. To give you some sense of the difference, a 14" Barclay is around 15% smaller in all dimensions than the broadly similar looking 16". So I reckon you might be able to get a representative HO X class out of a B2, but I'm doubtful that an X would work in 4mm.

Adam

• Thanks 1