LT Resources

Realistic Railways have come back to me & very honestly said they don't recommend one of their chassis for a CDC kit. Can anyone assist by suggesting an alternative for one motorised & three non-motorised alternatives? I'm new to this game & would really appreciate the help.

Won't be able to get to S4um this weekend, so can you give an idea about how close the various Met coaches are, and how much(!)

There are still issues with the switchboxes, etc. on the ends to sort out, so allowing for casting I would expect them to be ready early in the new year.

but for my early 1920s Met/GC layout ..... :yahoo:

Now Bill all we need are the Ashburys, the Pullmans, the Rothschild Saloon, some Met non-passenger stock..... oh yes and some GCR suburban stock so I can properly run a Met/GCR joint line (No hurry Bill - next year will do :)

LRM do most of the Ashburys and I can do brass GCR clerestories and London suburbans. I also can do some of the GC 50' corridor stock, indeed I have to supply some of these in the near future.

There are still issues with the switchboxes, etc. on the ends to sort out, so allowing for casting I would expect them to be ready early in the new year.

LRM do most of the Ashburys and I can do brass GCR clerestories and London suburbans. I also can do some of the GC 50' corridor stock, indeed I have to supply some of these in the near future.

Unfortunately the LRM models are of converted electric conversions (if you see what I mean!). Clive Thomas, who did the original LRM etchings was only interested in the Chesham branch set (even though I tried to bully him into etching the other early steam-hauled coaches - in the end he moved to Wales to escape my badgering).

Realistic Railways have come back to me & very honestly said they don't recommend one of their chassis for a CDC kit. Can anyone assist by suggesting an alternative for one motorised & three non-motorised alternatives? I'm new to this game & would really appreciate the help.

I always use a tenshodo or a black beetle motor bogie, screwed into a plastikard floor to replace the card floor in the kit. For trailing bogies I used to build my own, but I find it is far easier now to simply buy off the shelf spares from Bachmann or Hornby and doctor them to make them look right.

• RMweb Gold

Hope you all don't me adding about myself of RT Models.

I've got available this weekend at scaleforum in 4mm scale foldable type oval buffers, diamond framed bogies and engineering rolling stock jumper cable sockets.

There will be on display also the hurst nelson brake van and 60ft rail wagon which is not far from release now.

The detailing parts will be added to the website during next week.

I always use a tenshodo or a black beetle motor bogie, screwed into a plastikard floor to replace the card floor in the kit. For trailing bogies I used to build my own, but I find it is far easier now to simply buy off the shelf spares from Bachmann or Hornby and doctor them to make them look right.

Fabulous, thank you L49. As a novice I really appreciate all the assistance I get on these boards. Any hints on coupling the four-car set?

Thank you, Xerces Fobe2. You've also given a good hint about the placement of the bogies.

Now off to source some bits & pieces. My railway habit has become expensive again! A pity the underground layout will then have to be buried in the garden ;)

• 6 months later...

Just noticed CDC Models have released (re-released perhaps?) a rake of Ashbury stock.... available via ebay at the moment: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Card-Kit-Ex-Metropolitan-Railway-Ashbury-stock-four-car-set-/221209375610?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item33811b337a

I've bought one to go behind a Radley's Met Bo-Bo and an E-class I'm planning to bash out of a Triang M7 next year.

Just noticed CDC Models have released (re-released perhaps?) a rake of Ashbury stock.... available via ebay at the moment: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Card-Kit-Ex-Metropolitan-Railway-Ashbury-stock-four-car-set-/221209375610?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item33811b337a

I've bought one to go behind a Radley's Met Bo-Bo and an E-class I'm planning to bash out of a Triang M7 next year.

I was only talking about bashing an E-class I'm out of a Triang M7 last night down at Club however how feasible is it?

XF

From an initial inspection of the Triang model and comparing it to the drawing in the 'Surface Stock Planbook', the wheelbase more or less matches (the bogie will need altering, but the coupled base is right), but then the chassis will need a little chopping down at both front and back.  The boiler is about the right length, but pitched I think 1 or 2mm too high and I suspect the same can be said of the side tanks... right length but too high.  I'm not sure if the boiler could be brought lower without fouling the motor- I haven't yet had the body off the chassis to look into it.  

I suspect a halfway decent 'look a like' model could be done 'simply' by altering the rear bogie, cutting the chassis down in length, remodelling the cab and rear bunker, and then adding the condensing pipes on the boiler and moving the dome forward.  If it proves impossible to bring the boiler down (though I hope that won't be the case) this may well be the route I go down.   

From an initial inspection of the Triang model and comparing it to the drawing in the 'Surface Stock Planbook', the wheelbase more or less matches (the bogie will need altering, but the coupled base is right), but then the chassis will need a little chopping down at both front and back.  The boiler is about the right length, but pitched I think 1 or 2mm too high and I suspect the same can be said of the side tanks... right length but too high.  I'm not sure if the boiler could be brought lower without fouling the motor- I haven't yet had the body off the chassis to look into it.  

I suspect a halfway decent 'look a like' model could be done 'simply' by altering the rear bogie, cutting the chassis down in length, remodelling the cab and rear bunker, and then adding the condensing pipes on the boiler and moving the dome forward.  If it proves impossible to bring the boiler down (though I hope that won't be the case) this may well be the route I go down.   

I was looking through the hard drive on my old computer and found a composite drawing I had made for altering an M7 into an E class. I did start cutting an old tri-ang body around to do it once, but I chickened out when part of the smokebox shattered! I will dig it out again, and maybe have another go.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the drawing below. It is not complete, only a guide for where to cut and areas which may need to be compromised on the finished model.

E class drawing.pdf

Looks like we're thinking along the same lines.  (Doing some measuring on a copy on Photoshop) it looks like you'd be keeping the boiler and sidetanks at M7 height?  I suppose that would neatly sidestep the issue I've been thinking about- making a neat 2mm cut in the side of the tanks and then lowering the boiler without loosing the circular cross section.  It does *look* as though the M7 chassis and motor would permit a degree of body lowering without fouling the latter, if feeling particularly adventurous.  Handily too the chassis body retainer clips at the front end could be used to hold a shortened M7 body in place- after all at the front end cut away some of the chassis and running plate and you're there!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived