Model clubs

JJT

Hi all,

does anyone that lives in Birchwood, Lincoln, want to join a model club, but carn't afford the membership! I thought this was quite a big issue, and I was wondering, what would be a resonable membership fee?

Reagards,

JJT

and I was wondering, what would be a resonable membership fee?

String, piece of, how long :pardon_mini:

It depends on so many things - what would you provide for members and what they would expect (premises, space for layout building, tools, a library?).

Hi JJT, you have mentioned elsewhere that you're 12 years of age.

If you are serious about this it is imperative that you involve a responsible adult (parent or guardian), especially when canvassing support for such an initiative particularly on the internet. Also there are obligations which you may not be able to legally meet on the basis of age if you were getting into membership fees.

Please do continue to get involved with the hobby and enquire at your local clubs if they have junior membership (and even this will require parental consent).

• RMweb Gold

Hi JJT,

I'm going to put my teacher hat on now! (I'm sure you know all of this, but I will say it to make me feel better!) yes.gif

I really endorse what Andy has said, it is so important to keep yourself safe at all times. I'm not suggesting for one minute that anyone on RMWeb would want to do you any harm, but there are nasty people out there who use forums to look for younger people to pray on and we certainly wouldn't want you to get into any harm.

So as Andy said make sure you have a parents or guardian with you to keep you safe. And if the area doesn't have a model club within reach, or offering a junior membership, you could always use here as a sort of online club, there are lots of people who can advise you, regardless of what the question is, because we all had to start somewhere.

And most importantly don't give out your address or phone number without your parent/guardian's approval. (Don't want to upset the people who feed you!)

Hope this is a bit of help, if you have any other questions do ask.

Best wishes,

Nick.

does anyone that lives in Birchwood, Lincoln, want to join a model club, but carn't afford the membership! I thought this was quite a big issue, and I was wondering, what would be a resonable membership fee?

Most clubs will work with the prospective member to determine what they can afford

Usually junior members do not have to pay the full price

Also some senior members are exempt from the full price as they can only attend specific meetings, normally due to work commitments

I was a previous member of a club, able to pay the full annual fee, but by agreement with their committee I paid two thirds as I would only be attending some meetings

This then allowed them to use all my rolling stock when I attended exhibitions, I then had my own stand elsewhere at that exhibition

I presume you are aware of Lincoln and District MRC http://community.lin...delrailwayclub/

If so, what is it that is stopping you joining them? If as implied by your opening post it is only that membership fees are not affordable, what makes you think you could offer a lesser rate and still be able to cover the running costs of a Club (Rent/Rates, Power, Heating, Layout construction & maintainance, purchase of tools etc etc etc) From their website, over 1 year the total cost for someone attending once a week is 50% more than the equivalent we (Hull MRS) charge which is probably a fair reflection of the difference in Property costs between the two areas.

I note their website doesn't mention a 'Junior' rate so have you asked if they do offer a discounted Junior membership? (Ours at Hull is currently 1 third the full Adult rate)

As someone who joined their local Model Railway Society as a Junior Member some 20-odd years ago, I would say that is the right way to get involved in the hobby, rather than starting your own Club and would encourage you to follow the same path...

Paul

As someone who joined their local Model Railway Society as a Junior Member some 20-odd years ago, I would say that is the right way to get involved in the hobby, rather than starting your own Club and would encourage you to follow the same path...

Paul's right; a club can be a very good way to persue your hobby. A club can also give you access to tools, resources and funds which you may not have or be able to justify personally.

The other side is the social side of things - and this is from someone who generally prefers to be left alone to do his own thing! I've made some very good friends through Hull MRS :)

• 2 weeks later...

HI all,

The problem with bringing an adult along is that apart from my grandad, no-one in my family is interested in railways, but my grandad can't be botherd! And I can't afford to join one.

Regards

JJT

Without wishing to put you off JJT, I'm struggling to see how you could hope to run a club without adult support. If you're hoping to create an equivalent club as those mentioned, have you considered how you will pay for premises until you have enough members to cover the costs? The rent will be substantially more than the £140 for full annual adult membership of your local club! If you don't intend to have club rooms, will parents with no interest in railways be happy with a group of random adults in their house to visit their child, and possibly build layouts taking up their space?

Additionally, if you were to somehow get some club rooms, and no-one from your household would supervise you, I think other adult members of the club would technically be your supervisor, and therefore possibly subject to an enhanced CRB disclosure:

Enhanced - People involved in the regular care, training or supervision of children aged under 18 need a CRB check at an enhanced level. Enhanced checks show current and "spent" convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings held on the Police National Computer.

My advice would be to contact your local club and ask if they offer junior rates (they might be the same as the over-65s which seem reasonable - £5 annual plus £1.50 for each meeting you attend).

• RMweb Gold

JJT,

Have you enquired at any of the local high schools if they have a model railway club ( or a model club of any sort ) ?

You might also be able to get your own school to start one - or find there are already other pupils who have a layout at home you could help with -you could put up an advert on the school notice board or in the school newsletter.

HTH

Stu

An advert could be a risky maneouvre for what I'm assuming is a Year 8 pupil - many of the older pupils will simply see that as making yourself an easy target. Why not try approaching one of your DT teachers, or another teacher you know who has an interest in modelling? I'm intending to start a similar club in my school in September and have saved some space in my lab to store a layout - here's hoping some of the pupils are actually interested!

Stu

Archived