Another Bachmann Junior Loco

This little model is giving a great deal of trouble, it was meant to be a cheap and quicky but is taking ages. I cant get the body to sit down level on the chassis the motor and the spark /radio transmission suppressors are a faction to high on the left hand side, I have re-soldered the suppression capacitors into a new position but can't get them any lower. Any ideas on what to do next I've run out of them.

I could carry on adding the chimney and other details, paint it rust colour and park it in the cripple siding around the back of the engine shed?

post-6220-0-09890800-1328981303.jpg

post-6220-0-91272000-1328981341_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

post-6220-0-98754200-1333651216_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-60390700-1333651232.jpg

Some little progress on the ERTL/ Bachmann junior / NBR / Drummond / Stroudley type shunter. I got the body to sit straight by packing it upwards on some pieces of post card between the footplate and chassis, just a few thousands of an inch but it did the trick.

Details such as handrails and couplings are now being added.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

post-6220-0-31783700-1336044075_thumb.jpg

All ready this picture is out of date, I've since added the clap valves on the side of the boiler, but it will also need a whistle up there on the boiler too.

Both these engines are built on the same Bachmann junior chassis, the saddle tank on the right seems much bigger than it's side tank counter part. I guess because it is slightly taller.

The boiler door locking handles are homemade from a bit of flattened wire rapped around another bit of wire. The saddle tank body is a bit up at the cab end,it's just not pushed down properly, this is because I've lost the fixing screws.

Next stop painting, first allowing a little time to pass to let the glues harden up.

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

post-6220-0-44276700-1363985600_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-92498500-1363985613_thumb.jpg

And another Bachmann Junior Billy loco. Not a bad engine for £17 new, I could not resist it.

For my next conversion I think I will try to put in smaller wheels.

The pictures are to compare it with a modified one with a more realistic height of body.

Watch this space...

• Like 2

The motor and gearbox combination is quite tall on this Bachmann chassis, it will all depend on how high it ends up when fitted with

smaller wheels, as that will define what height I can set the saddle tank at.

I've got an older prototype in mind, something like a Fox-Walker shunter.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for raising this thread from its slumber after nearly two months, but your engine #6- the Bachmann 0-6-0 with the lowered tank- did you have to do anything to the chassis weight or motor block to get the body to sit right on the chassis after you had lowered it?  I've recently bought the same basic Bachmann Junior loco with a view to turning it into something 'Peckettesque' but I'm hesitant to start chopping bits out of it to lower it if I then have to undertake surgery on the chassis.

I did not touch the motor and chassis on the saddle tank, it's all done with plastic removal and addition to the body only, I seem to remember the cab and saddle tank are separate parts

for easier modification.  On my side tank I had to move one of the motor spark suppression capacitors to a slightly lower position, each chassis had slightly different positioned

capacitors to each other. There is lots of room inside that big saddle tank for the motor.  I carved away some of the footplate so it sat lower and added some material at the back.

The side tank version had an all new footplate cut from a rectangle of plasticard.

• 1 month later...

IN an earlier post above someone ask if replacement wheels from Romford/Markits can be used.

I know now, they can't. The Bachmann axles are about 0.2 of a millimetre smaller. Close enough to look the same as the Markits 1/8th diameter axles but the axle bearing slots in the chassis are just too small for them. So I've got a spare set of Markits wheels now.

Second attempt to find some smaller wheels for the Junior is to find some of Bachmanns own.

I took a chance on these at the “estore.bachmanntrains.com” Picture from the website shop.

post-6220-0-65615900-1372969176.jpg

They are for the USA saddle tank, I've ordered some and am keeping my fingers crossed that they will fit?

• Like 2

Hi,

Lots of dock tanks would go but you probably need outside cylinders for most of them. The NBR/LNER j88 springs to mind. On the "Kirkcaldy  Harbour" thread elsewhere there are some photos including one being fished out of the harbour after a runaway on the steeply graded branch.

best wishes,

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifp6290149small.jpg

They have arrived and they do fit. As an experiment I plonked this this Polly body on it.

Another possible conversion ?

attachicon.gifp6290164small.jpg

Very inspirational.

Is the gear on the new wheelset the same or did you need to swap the new wheels onto the original axle?

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It came to £15:74 through the letterbox price. Which nearly double the price of the loco, so the body will have to be a no cost one built up of plasticard to keep the price final down.

I have been working, on an off, on industrial saddle tanks using the Bachmann Junior and re-wheeling.  I have used Allan Gibson wheels so far.  The HO Saddle Tank wheel set looks like an easier and cheaper option. 

I just tried buying some from the Parts Site, but Bachmann won't oblige; a message comes up saying that they will not ship to my Country (UK).  What's that all about?

Has Obama imposed sanctions on UK because we wouldn't let them attack Syria?

Anyone know how I could get hold of these wheel-sets?

Sanctions lifted. Apparently the French will do just as well, so there's no need to boycott the Brits.  

Terribly nice chap at Bachmann explained that they have a problem at their end.  You'd think you could program a computer to accept that postal addresses exist outside the Continental USA (missile co-ordinates do, after all), so it is all being done via email.  

I spoke too soon. Enter my bank's Fraud Prevention Team, who evidently considered that Mr Bachmann was trying to defraud me, and so, kindly, blocked the transaction.

Anyway, apparently I now qualify for a letter of apology, and a bottle of wine, and get to have another shot at making the purchase next week. 

Ah, the modern world. All I want to do is sit in a shed and play with my choo-choo trains.  Why is that too much to ask?!?

• Like 2

Well, before I desist from further hijacking of Relaxinghobby's excellent thread, I thought I'd report on progress.

I now have a promising bottle of claret from my chastened bankers and Mr Bachmann says that my order has gone through no problemo. 

Now, all I need is the time, skill and imagination necessary to build a loco body.  So, hardest part is clearly now over.