Another Bachmann Junior Loco

Changing Wheels on Bachmann junior ( and any other similarly constructed chassis )

This is a more detailed account of changing the wheels over. First off, I tried to fit some Romford -Markit wheels but their one eight inch diameter axles are too fat to go in the Bachmann chassis wheel slots.

Great thread, just want to make sure that you're aware that Markits list 3mm Romford axles for Bachmann with or without the knurling for a gog. 

• 9 months later...

IN an earlier post above someone ask if replacement wheels from Romford/Markits can be used.

I know now, they can't. The Bachmann axles are about 0.2 of a millimetre smaller. Close enough to look the same as the Markits 1/8th diameter axles but the axle bearing slots in the chassis are just too small for them. So I've got a spare set of Markits wheels now.

Second attempt to find some smaller wheels for the Junior is to find some of Bachmanns own.

I took a chance on these at the “estore.bachmanntrains.com” Picture from the website shop.

attachicon.gifH81805.jpg

They are for the USA saddle tank, I've ordered some and am keeping my fingers crossed that they will fit?

What is the diameter of these driving wheels? This looks like a nice industrial 0-6-0 chassis conversion.

• 3 years later...

Away from my modelling tools at the moment but I do have access to the wonderful modelling resource of RMweb.

To satisfy my modelling craving I've been pondering what to do with this old project of putting a new body on this

little Bachmann chassis.

From post  number 37 back in 2014. The chassis I had rewheeled with Bachmann's own smaller ones from their

spares web-site.

I've been playing around with images on Open Office Draw to compare sizes, the questions for me is can I get the chassis

to fit within the confines of a Hudswell Clarke style body industrial saddle tank. The drawings come from the Ixion O-gauge thread

on their ready to run model.

Until there is a R-T-R for 00 here is my alternative attempt.

I've tried to make the photo and drawings all to be in the same scale for easy comparison.

Picture from post 37 where I left off.

post-6220-0-62753800-1515609424_thumb.jpg

I await your opinions with interest.

post-6220-0-64796700-1515609715_thumb.jpg

Edited by relaxinghobby
  • Like 2

Away from my modelling tools at the moment but I do have access to the wonderful modelling resource of RMweb.

To satisfy my modelling craving I've been pondering what to do with this old project of putting a new body on this

little Bachmann chassis.

From post  number 37 back in 2014. The chassis I had rewheeled with Bachmann's own smaller ones from their

spares web-site.

I've been playing around with images on Open Office Draw to compare sizes, the questions for me is can I get the chassis

to fit within the confines of a Hudswell Clarke style body industrial saddle tank. The drawings come from the Ixion O-gauge thread

attachicon.gif060HC-chassislineup-small.jpg

attachicon.gif060tBachmannchassis.jpg

I have gone through much the same process, but, like you, have not progressed the project and I think the bits and pieces are in store!

But, I reckoned that there was the possibility that a Hudswell Clarke, or a contemporary Hunslet, could be made to fit.  The area of doubt, as I recall, was whether the low point of the fire box would fit. the height was OK, but would the radius fit over the motor?

I don't know.

The other issue I had is that the Bachmann replacement wheels (from an HO switcher, IIRC)  are so small, that the casing for the cog wheel was in contact with the sleepers.  IK did not get so far as cutting this aware and finding out whether the cog wheel cleared the sleepers or not.

Did you get that far?

Anyway, good to see you and your project back on air.

little Bachmann chassis.

From post number 37 back in 2014. The chassis I had rewheeled with Bachmann's own smaller ones from their

spares web-site.

attachicon.gif060HC-chassislineup-small.jpg

attachicon.gif060tBachmannchassis.jpg

Looks an interesting project. I suspect the biggest issue is you may end up with chassis gubbins being visible where the lower boiler should be. I had a similar problem with my Barclay build on an Electrotren chassis, although it came out ok in the end - footplate fittings do help disguise it, although the drive worm can still be seen from some angles.

post-28743-0-11693500-1515612303.jpg

Though in fairness your proposal is smaller with a lower saddle tank than mine. If you don't mind seeing a bit of the chassis block, or can find ways of disguising it then it should be quite do-able I reckon. The only other consideration I would add is whether you can add much in the way of extra weight to aid running qualities?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The first drawing you posted is one I would like to do on the same platform.

I have to thank you for this discovery, by the way. You allowed me to build these two on the Junior chassis (re-wheeled) and using the Junior body parts.

I'm very fond of them. Another one I considered was the Stewarts and Lloyds Kitsons from Corby, which is a similar outline.

post-898-0-49552200-1515613489_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-58628700-1515613573_thumb.jpeg

This MSC Hunslet is a similar style to the drawings you posted, this is the style I would like to emulate.

post-898-0-82156300-1515613636.jpg

• Like 1

So far thanks for the advice to everyone, looks like the weather over at Corbs' is very wintry.

Looking at Corbs' pictures I think am looking for the Hunslett D shaped or loaf of bread shaped

tank rather than a cylindrical saddle tank.

Edited by relaxinghobby

• RMweb Gold

It seems that a lot of locos from the Leeds manufacturers of that time seem to only differ in cab shape. So that smokebox and saddle tank outline could give you Manning Wardle, Hunslet, Kitson, Hudswell Clarke etc.

• 2 months later...

post-6220-0-22086100-1521926868_thumb.png

Thanks to Mike Trice and JCL and following their tutorials I've been working on learning to draw in Inkscape and hope eventually to go on to learn some of the 3D drawing and sculpting program Blender.

Back to just working in the flat with Inkscape which is quiet good for drawings things made of rectangles and circles. So you can work out the sides and ends of boxey things like wagons, houses and tank engines. The way computer drawing works can seem very baffling at times , I have had a chance to try practice many swear works at the seeming bloody mindedness of the computer and it's attendant printer. But I've plodded on and after some basic rectangular tank wagon drawings, almost a pure box, flat topped even simpler than a curved roof van. I gone on to this small industrial loco.

I've just realised the saddle tank components are missing, I must have made that layer invisible, see what I mean by infuriating computers. Learning this initial beginning of Inkscape has literally given me a headache and represents many hours computer time. Sometimes it has take 2 hours just to draw one shape. I think this is the third time I've made a start with Inkscape and finally gotten some usable results.

I don't have access to a plotter/cutter so have intended these to be printed on to card or paper. Paper at the moment as this Samsung laser printer has not got straight feed flap at the back so can only take thin paper, not anything thicker and stiffer. NO PLASTICARD AS THIS WILL BE MELTED by the heater roller inside.

So I will glue the paper to thicker card using Prit Stick type dry glue and cut them out by hand, this drawing has been made with 0.6mm card in mind as this seems to be a common thickness down at the stationary shop.

Greetings, probably the only fellow freelancer that I've not spoken to on this site! (With the exception of Nile, but to be honest considering how legendary his work is I'm kind of intimidated to try and talk to him.)
Fantastic work. I've actually been trying to get my hands on some of the Bachmann Junior locos (the 0-6-0ST, the "Stuart" Thomas rework and the "Greg" Percy rework) but have actually had a hard time finding them in this part of the world. But that's beside the point. Keep up the work.

It seems that a lot of locos from the Leeds manufacturers of that time seem to only differ in cab shape. So that smokebox and saddle tank outline could give you Manning Wardle, Hunslet, Kitson, Hudswell Clarke etc.

Yeah. That's the beauty of this sort of thing. There's an absolute ton of stuff you can do with just a basic loco outline. That's exactly the reason why I RTRbash.

The problems of learning Inkscape.

After spending many hours over many days looking at this image on the Inkscape drawing screen, I was mostly looking at a grid of coloured rectangles and lines, with it enlarged and all blown up and super sized, you don't see the image as a whole until the printed version is in front of you, then  this loco seems too small.

With the computer drawing you are always zoomed in on different portions looking at the detail not at the whole picture and loose all sense of scale.

I'll have to cut the model out and build it to get a better feel of the size.

See if it will fit over the chassis and motor block, was my measuring any good, have I got the correct size?

Hi RedGemAlchemist, I try to inspire others in their model making attempts by recording my trials and tribulations and some successes.

An unusual avatar name what is it's derivation? Do you also make jewelry or red LED displays?

Inkscape Hubslett/Hudswell Clark Body

As I cut out the bits and build them up

Cutting parts out by hand takes ages days of modelling time and no matter how carefully you are tiny errors creep in. For instance do I cut this side of the line or that side the material is slightly torn by the knife, errors accumulate.

I must get access to a plotter/cutter machine, there is a maker club in my local town maybe join them for access.

Before all that there are a few preliminaries for instance Check the scale! Just like I didn’t seems that I can't count and can't read numbers Lucky that they don't let me design space probes or my space rockets would crash into Mars at full speed or like that massion in Florida, some rich guy to show off how rich he was and had a new big house designed by a popular architect from France. He designed it in centimetres and the local American builder looked at the plans and built it in inches. So the rich guy got a house two and a half times bigger than it was intended, giant doors high ceilings, everything bigger. It was a great mistake, he had really shown how much richer than his million friends.

Something like that here, due to a scale mix-up my model is about 15% too large but it still seems very small and will it fit over the chassis and motor block?

I was working form two drawings together both at slightly different scales and used the wrong scale for the wrong drawing. Not enough difference to notice especially as I was busy trying to learn new aspect of the Inkscape drawing package.

I'll finished cutting out and building the loco to see how well my design of pieces fit together, especially the different layers and tags and slots. Good job it is a computer so I can step back and rescale different pieces drawn up at different times.

It takes ages to cut out and glue the parts together so I have to wait to see if it will fit over the chassis and motor?

Working from memory, it looks a bit like a Beyer Peacock from Cannock Colliery.

Lets get really out there!

You could do a Beyer 0-6-2 saddle tank. There is a good photo in the David and Charles Industrial Locomotives book.

Chris.

Hi RedGemAlchemist, I try to inspire others in their model making attempts by recording my trials and tribulations and some successes.

An unusual avatar name what is it's derivation? Do you also make jewelry or red LED displays?

I try and do the same. Good mentality to have.

It's a name I've used for a long time actually. When I was in my early teens I was very into the anime series Full Metal Alchemist so that's what the name is partially derived from. The "Red" part (which I also usually use as the contraction of the whole as I don't really like using my real name online) was just a colour I like and the "Gem" was really just something to pull the thing together and make it unique. And so I've used that username for nigh-on 10 years now I think. Thanks for asking!

And no, I don't do anything close to as interesting or creative for my living. As noted in the intro post of my workbench thread, I am a caretaker for an industrial yard in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

I try and do the same. Good mentality to have.

It's a name I've used for a long time actually. When I was in my early teens I was very into the anime series Full Metal Alchemist so that's what the name is partially derived from. The "Red" part (which I also usually use as the contraction of the whole as I don't really like using my real name online) was just a colour I like and the "Gem" was really just something to pull the thing together and make it unique. And so I've used that username for nigh-on 10 years now I think. Thanks for asking!

And no, I don't do anything close to as interesting or creative for my living. As noted in the intro post of my workbench thread, I am a caretaker for an industrial yard in the middle of nowhere.

Do you have a brother who's spirit is locked in a full set of armour?

Oh yes, I remember Full Metal Alchemist from the late lamented Anime Channel!!!!

At least I'm able to keep up with Kusanagi and the team thanks to the Devil Amazon!!!!

I'll stop knicking the thread and get my coat!!!

Or should that be optical camouflage?

Sorry, I'm definitely gone now! Back to cooking curry!!!

Chris.

Do you have a brother who's spirit is locked in a full set of armour?

Oh yes, I remember Full Metal Alchemist from the late lamented Anime Channel!!!!

At least I'm able to keep up with Kusanagi and the team thanks to the Devil Amazon!!!!

I'll stop knicking the thread and get my coat!!!

Or should that be optical camouflage?

Sorry, I'm definitely gone now! Back to cooking curry!!!

Chris.

Well, I have three brothers and a sister, but none of them are named Alphonse or locked in a suit of armour. And yes, I also miss the Anime Channel.

Back to you, relaxinghobby.

• Like 1

A spirit or soul locked into a set of armour, I assume the soul can animate and walk around in the metal man shape. In a more

modern sense this could be trans-humanism where somehow in the future, when we grow old we can upload our minds into a computer or

a powerful robot body and live indefinately.

Would such a person be interested in model railways or world domination?

A true railway enthusiasts might have his mind uplaoded into a Thomas the Tank engine and go and live down on the tracks, perhaps this

is how all the engines come to have their personalities.

Not much chance of being uploaded onto a cardboard model even one advanced to this level.

( Hows that for a segway? )

post-6220-0-94109900-1522515717_thumb.jpg

Until I get access to a Silhouette or other plotter-cutter the Inkscape drawings help you think out the layers and overlaps, even cutting the printed drawings by hand it helps you get things square and to size. Here are the parts and sub-assemblies for a shunting tank. A bit more complicated than the flat sided wagons I have tried so far, it has curved and rounded shapes. The cardboard tends to crease when it is being rolled around a pen to get a bend.

Back to trans-humansim which loco would you be up loaded into, the Flying Scotsman and charge around the rail network on special trains, or perhaps one of

the many Terrier tanks on preservation railways? I think I would prefer to be out on the mainline.

• Like 1

A spirit or soul locked into a set of armour, I assume the soul can animate and walk around in the metal man shape. In a more

modern sense this could be trans-humanism where somehow in the future, when we grow old we can upload our minds into a computer or

a powerful robot body and live indefinately.

Would such a person be interested in model railways or world domination?

A true railway enthusiasts might have his mind uplaoded into a Thomas the Tank engine and go and live down on the tracks, perhaps this

is how all the engines come to have their personalities.

Not much chance of being uploaded onto a cardboard model even one advanced to this level.

( Hows that for a segway? )

attachicon.gifP1010006a.JPG

Until I get access to a Silhouette or other plotter-cutter the Inkscape drawings help you think out the layers and overlaps, even cutting the printed drawings by hand it helps you get things square and to size. Here are the parts and sub-assemblies for a shunting tank. A bit more complicated than the flat sided wagons I have tried so far, it has curved and rounded shapes. The cardboard tends to crease when it is being rolled around a pen to get a bend.

Back to trans-humansim which loco would you be up loaded into, the Flying Scotsman and charge around the rail network on special trains, or perhaps one of

the many Terrier tanks on preservation railways? I think I would prefer to be out on the mainline.

OK, I would not be allowed to type up the first reaction I had to that segue due to the profanity blocker.

Yes, Alphonse can move. Full Metal Alchemist is actually a really interesting series, I'd recommend it (particularly the 2009 adaptation, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. Both that and the original are also on Netflix, along with a truly terrible 2018 film adaptation.)

Hmm. Looking good. I'm normally not a huge fan of working in card for reasons that are part practicality and part personal experience, but that's looking very nice. Though yeah, the boiler might need a different material.

And it'd probably be 8572. I'd be able to stay in the county I love so dearly, and I'd occasionally be allowed out on the mainline. Plus, I'd actually look majestic for the first time in my life rather than being an out-of-shape, long-haired nerd with glasses.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

Interesting approach to loco building, and yes, looking good.

I agree that the boiler needs a bit more work, maybe if you

try a thinner card and laminate it. I assume you are using

Shellac to strengthen and seal it?

I rolled a boiler from paper and generously doused it in superglue on my 0 gauge Ilfracombe goods and its one of the strongest bits of the engine.  Other than the creases yours is looking great,  I wish I could assemble things that neatly.

I rolled a boiler from paper and generously doused it in superglue on my 0 gauge Ilfracombe goods and its one of the strongest bits of the engine.  Other than the creases yours is looking great,  I wish I could assemble things that neatly.

You built an O gauge boiler out of superglue? That's pretty clever actually.

I find heavily superglued paper to be a great materiel for forming simple curves. The tricky bit is forming complex curves where it curves in two directions at once such as domes. These tend to involve balsa or filler or sometimes both.

I've used thin slivers of paper for cab cut out beading. Applied with cheap super glue using a cocktail stick to roll it onto the edge of the cut out. The superglue soaks into the paper and hardens it. End result is finer and stronger than using microstrip and is easier to put on.

I've been trying to remove the original paint from a Bachmann junior loco that I'm tweaking.  I've tried Xtracrylix Purisol and Modelstrip  so far, but it's had little impact.  Has anyone found something effective that doesn't damage the plastic?