Prototype (or 'based on') locations for NW based layouts

• RMweb Premium

I'll start the ball rolling with the line from Lancaster Castle to Glasson Dock, including the spur onto the quay at Lancaster. Now this is one of those lines that seems to be all but forgotten by books on the area, etc., but just look at the photos in the below link; dilapidated station, weed-covered track, railway right on the edge of an estuary, not one but two quays (space dependant), short freight (and potentially passenger, if you were to change history) trains, and spurs to industries

http://www.glassondo....uk/railway.htm

In the first shot, even the signal seems to be unsure whether it should let the train pass onto the dodgy trackwork laugh.gif

More photos (linked because they may well be copyrighted):

http://myrailwaystat...%201957_jpg.htm

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=25872

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

http://www.sixbellsj...s/540501sl.html

• RMweb Premium

I've got vague memories of going round Glasson Dock with my family in the early 60's and seeing the branch full of stored wagons.

Now my interest is further up the Lune at Green Ayre .

Jamie

Ja

• 2 weeks later...

My mate's layout is based on Manchester Oldham Road, with the correction to history that it remained open to passenger traffic for trains from North Manchester/Leeds areas with additional traffic from Sheffield as the 1500v extended from Ashbury's around to Miles Platting.

He has all the industrial areas such as Manchester Steel as well, I know as I have had to build all the locos for him.

Mike Wiltshire

I've always thought that the railways of the Cumbrian coast seem to be rather overlooked, so thats one area I particularly fancy (one day?).

The other is my local line, an isolated GCR line which ran from a junction on the CLC line (at Glazebrook? - memory is going, sorry!), through Lowton (St. Mary's) where it split, going north to Wigan and going west to St. Helens.

Apparently, it was to have been continued further north, possibly to Blackpool?

Now that is an ambition of mine to model LSM and I have full support of Mrs E for that one!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

The other is my local line, an isolated GCR line which ran from a junction on the CLC line (at Glazebrook? - memory is going, sorry!), through Lowton (St. Mary's) where it split, going north to Wigan and going west to St. Helens.

Indeed, a triangular junction just on the Liverpool side of Glazebrook, hth

Topic on the old forum

• RMweb Premium

Arnside (on the Cumbria Coast line) would make a lovely model if you had a load of space but realistically, to get the viaduct in as well as the curving embankment of the Hincaster branch (as well as the impracticalities of modelling the vast expanses of the estuary and no obvious scenic breaks), it wouldn't be practical.

Thing is, you have the main Carnforth - Barrow line, a small goods yard, the viaduct itself, and the branch to Hincaster which served the quarry at Sandside, and in earlier periods stopping trains from Grange - Kendal, lengthy through passenger trains (portions of the Lakes Express and excursions - Lakeside to Windermere, usually running tender first), coke trains from the Stainmore route through to the Furness area, etc.

Some day.......

Guest Tom F

My interest, as stated in another thread in the group, is the lines to Blackpool.

I was brought up in Blackpool, but being in my mid 20s, Blackpool's holiday heydays had long gone while I was kid.

What appeals to me is what could be found during the late 50s and early 60s

The sheer number of excursion traffic during the Summer Timetable means you could see anything that wasn't a Class 8 loco. Originally I had planned on modelling Blackpool Central Sheds and approach lines, but I soon realised this was far too much to ever take on alone.

I then looked into modelling a section of line between Kirkham and Preston. This way I could see all traffic heading to either Blackpool North, Central, South and Fleetwood....but what really grabbed me, was the fact it was 4 lines between Kirkham and Preston, therefore some great racing oppurtunity.

So the plan is a 25ft layout that represents the section between Station Road Bridge (Salwick) and Lea Lane Bridge, set during September 1960.

To be honest, it was these pictures of Ben Brooksbank that had me hooked...and why not?

800px-Salwick_2_railway_station_geograph-2161678.jpg

Salwick_1_railway_station_2059854_7f01ffe1.jpg

Image used through Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0 and belong to Ben Brooksbank

For teenagers, Blackpool was the place to go for ale and crumpet if living in the towns around Manchester. Certainly a racetrack on the 4-track sections with fast trains able to avoid the stations. You will need plenty of ex LMS and LNER non-corridor stock for those day excursions though.

Guest Tom F

For teenagers, Blackpool was the place to go for ale and crumpet if living in the towns around Manchester. Certainly a racetrack on the 4-track sections with fast trains able to avoid the stations. You will need plenty of ex LMS and LNER non-corridor stock for those day excursions though.

Lovely Jubbley ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi all

I've just found this Group! Thought I'd put in my 2 penn'orth. I'm about to start a layout (in 0 gauge) based on West Kirby station - the current one, not the Joint one. It's fascinated me for years because of the trackwork at the throat. I've scanned some pictures but I'm not sure if I can put them on here for copyright reasons.

I'm modelling mid 70s to mid 80s but I'm only using the track plan. Trains will consist of loco-hauled stock and DMUs. I'll add a parcels depot for to use my NPCC stock and possibly a preserved railway depot as I've got one steam loco amongst various diesels and DMUs!! I'll have to think up a story to justify it!!

Rod

• 1 month later...

I made a list of local locations that have been modelled that was mentioned on the ELR Forum....

• Ramsbottom 1950 in 00gauge owned by Ramsbottom Model Railway Club
  • Haslingden 1960 in N gauge owned by Haslingden Model Railway Club
  • Haslingden 1960 in 00gauge was owned by Rawtenstall or Helmshore Model Railway Club but was broken up when club disbanded, some members formed Haslingden Model Railway Club and made Haslingden in N gauge
  • Bury Bolton Street/Bury market Street in 00gauge was made by Harry Hatcher and in Bury Transport Museum but currently dismantled...restoration required.

Now ive heard there are two of the below layouts....i have seen proof of one but told there is two.

• Holcombe Brook in 00gauge 1 owned by a member of the LYDCC Group and currently in working order includes Tottington station and viaduct.
  • Holcombe Brook in 00gauge 2 Unsure whether this exists.
  • Bacup Shed 1950 in 00gauge currently being made by ramsbottom model railway club
  • Bacup in 00gauge currently being made by a member of ramsbottom model railway club

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'll start the ball rolling with the line from Lancaster Castle to Glasson Dock, including the spur onto the quay at Lancaster. Now this is one of those lines that seems to be all but forgotten by books on the area, etc., but just look at the photos in the below link; dilapidated station, weed-covered track, railway right on the edge of an estuary, not one but two quays (space dependant), short freight (and potentially passenger, if you were to change history) trains, and spurs to industries

http://www.glassondo....uk/railway.htm

In the first shot, even the signal seems to be unsure whether it should let the train pass onto the dodgy trackwork laugh.gif

More photos (linked because they may well be copyrighted):

http://myrailwaystat...%201957_jpg.htm

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=25872

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

http://www.sixbellsj...s/540501sl.html

There is a perspective drawing of Glasson station in Jack Nelson's 'LNWR Portrayed' which demonstrates a slightly non-standard LNWR station building even if it is built using rusticated boarding.

If you go to www.old-maps.co.uk and enter the co-ordinates 344884 and 455851 you can get a 1:2500 map of the station area and 344384/456101 will give you the dock which is about a quarter mile further on. Unfortunately this area was not mapped that regularly and the only 1:2500 maps to show the railway are the 1891 and 1913 versions as it had gone by the 1971 edition. The station wasn't in an especially useful place (unless you wanted to go to church or visit the vicar) but Glasson is a bit of a rambling place and it probably would have been difficult to find the ideal spot although I am surprised that it wasn't closer to the dock.

Nice place for a Sunday afternoon visit. We've walked the line from Glasson to Conder Green and back on a number of occasions. If you go be sure to visit the Port of Glasson Smokehouse for some wonderful food to take home.

Modelling Glasson might be awkward as it is such an exposed location. I would the suggest viewing from the landward side with Morecambe Bay as a backdrop as on Karl Crowther's Cumbrian layout (sorry, name escapes me). Bit of a problem to 'lose' the line in either direction, would probably need some strategic view blockers.

David

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have often thought it would be fun to 'extend' the GC St Helens branch a bit to the west and contrive a terminus with various features from the branch. (St Helens Central (GC) was a bit big unless one has a tennis court.) My problem is that being pregroup I would need a 7mm scale 6C (J12) or three.

I think Liverpool Central would make a great and relatively compact model - its footprint is actually far smaller than many 'country' stations. Problem from my POV - no goods traffic to speak of, and I am addicted to coal wagons.

Horwich station would make a nice model - though I'd miss out the works, personally.

Oldham (Clegg Street) would work in the smaller scales, with its vast goods yard curving round the back at a higher level.

• 3 weeks later...

has anybody looked at modeling delph nice little branch line terminus most of the station building and adjacent mill are still intact so could build a very accurate model ??

lees with its engine shed could be interesting ?

also uppermill on the diggle - stalybridge micklehurst goods line large goods shed an example of which still stands at millbrook and the station buildings still survive as a private house my garden wall backed on to this and had the whole yard as my playground untill it was converted into a swimming baths and sports center around 1976 alas the small engine shed for the shunter that was next to the station house was destroyed by fire around 1990

Quite by good fortune, I found the location Hest Bank in Antony Darnborough's excellent book "West Coast Steam". It seemed to me to offer many qualities I wanted from a layout; lots of traffic of all kinds including class 8P hauled, a small compact station, a junction for operational interest and a small yard for a bit of shunting. So I went ahead and started building it some time ago. The results to date can be found under "Modelling real locations - Hest Bank in 4mm".

• 5 months later...

edwin i used to live just above the uppermill goods shed and may be able to dig some pics of it up in old family pics .

i currently live 5/700 yards from the micklehurst goods shed and have some good external and internals do you realise the engine shed and fuel stage are still surviving as well have a gander on google earth and you can see tham through the trees to the north also part of the coal drop including the access tunnel are still inplace

Thanks peanuts

I think I'm OK for pics, thanks all the same. Managed to finish a good set of elevations of the ends and "rail" side by counting bricks etc on the Internet photos of Millbrook and omitting one storey to match Uppermill - a true piece of armchair research! I can't find any pics of the non-rail side but that is against the backscene so I don't need it.

Looking at this, I do wonder if the Micklehurst shed is still there surrounded by the timber recycling place. As far I can tell, one of the roofs is the same size as Millbrook and has what may be the same skylight (now covered over). Unfortunately this is on the very edge of Bing's birds eye mapping and the views from other directions are not available.

I've visited close to the Millbrook site for work purposes but didn't have time to explore. I recall wandering round soon after closure (I would have been about seven) and there was a giant concrete wedge which I think was to reverse wagons prior to running into the thing that unloaded them.

• 3 months later...

Archived