how many 47's written off?

Leicester Thumper

Guest 838rapid

There was a collision between 2 class 47's at Reading Station in the early 1990's.

A Driver from a depot I was based at at that time was driving one of the class 47's from the trailing cab during a shunting move.

Allegedly he applied rather a lot of power not realising that he was set to shunt onto a staionary loco.

Following the collision the damage between the 2 locos was so severe that there was no means of coupling them up to clear the area,other than fitting them both with a buckeye coupling.

Both Locomotives were cut up not long after I understand..

The Driver Survived it but never drove again.

Guest 838rapid

Thats the ones,I remember seeing 47533 at Old Oak being fitted with the Buckeye coupling.

Just couldnt remember the number.

Thanks Raffles

• 6 months later...

I think that one involved a failed class 25 in the section ahead. The 47 and train inexplicably passed the section signal at danger and then a collision was inevitable. At the enquiry there was apparently some suggestion that the signal concerned was not quite at a horizontal angle having been returned to danger once the 25 and its train had passed.

Another 47 crash IIRC involved an excursion, (possibly from Margate?), where the driver consumed alcohol prior to driving and took a corner too fast resulting in a serious derailment.

Again, I'm being a bit vague as it's a long time since I read the reports.

Cheers.

Sean.

The 25 in concern, stopped with an earth fault if I remember, was 25083 - now preserved. It was the one that sat at Crewe for many years before making its way back north. 

D1630 in the Eltham crash became 47048, 47570 and finally 47849. It was going to be used as a body for the Class 57 programme, but when stripped prior to re-engineering, was discovered to have a bent frame - no doubt as a result of the prang at EWH. Hence its rejection from the 57 conversions. If you went to one of the Crewe works open days a while ago, the body was sat on a flat wagon awaiting disposal.

Chris

Edited by ClydeIron
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

47202 was involved in a collision with 33032 at Frome early in 1987.

Prior to cutting up, the loco was stored at Bath Road with its number painted out. I only managed this photograph.attachicon.gif47202_br.jpg

Here is a view of mine from the Bath Road bridge - https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristol-re/21495898464/in/photolist-qu15uP-yKw6H3-edHKYG

Very Best Wishes,

Bob.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 13/06/2011 at 22:08, 'CHARD said:

Good lad. That's no doubt 1562 that Stratford in their infinite wisdom decided to uprate. The circumstances surrounding the 'experiment' perpetrated on the Brush are shrouded in myth and conspiracy, but suffice to say she exploded at Haughley Jct blowing the engine room door off its hinges and breaking the arm of driver Harry Hendry.

This has become something of a high altar bit of 47 folklore, as photos of her following the accident are scarce to say the least. Needless to say she was cut up amid supposed secrecy. It was discussed in some detail on here earlier this year.

On 13/06/2011 at 22:41, plarailfan said:

Here's a link to 1562, at Crewe. Quite a mess, http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefancabaniuk/3576215983/

On 17/06/2011 at 17:49, slilley said:

As for 1562 the damage was immense, nearly a six figure sum at 1971 prices.

Bit of an old thread resurrection, but there is another good picture here of the other side which is even worse:

spaceout.gifspaceout.gifhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/14581588@N05/5803826332/

It can be seen that the intensity of the fire has badly rippled and warped the bodyshell, which was weakened so much it has started to sag. So with scrap power unit, including the generators and everything else within the engine room no doubt, and scrap bodyshell too, this could well be the worst damaged class 47 ever, despite it not actually having been involved in a collision!

I had heard a story of a Class 47 where the fuel rack got jammed on full throttle. When the driver closed the controller in response to an adverse signal, the traction load was removed and the engine severely overspeeded until it blew up spectacularly, with neither the overspeed trip or engine shutdown button having any effect due to the jammed fuel racks.  Sounds like it may well have been this incident.

D1734, Coton Hill Accident info on link below. There's also a link to the formal report, which is interesting. A further train hauled by class 47, D1684 was also involved (in the sidings), and as previously stated, the signalbox was demolished.

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=502

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_CotonHill1965.pdf

Edited by MidlandRed
additional link