Lynton and Barnstaple Railway in 1961.

Railtrack and Network Rail are not and have never been responsable for Chelfham Viaduct. It passed into British Railways hands because the Southern Railway were unable to despose of the structure (either by sale or demolition) once they shut the line. Like other redundent structures located on dismantled lines it was never passed on to Railtrack upon privitisation and is therefore still owned by the British Railways board.

Therefore it has only had one owner who never used it for its intended purpose - namly BR, and this looks set to remain the situation unless anyone else can be found to take over looking after the listed structure and all the liabilaties asociated with it.

I was talking to someone recently and was told that it’s more recently passed from the BRB (Residuary) to the Highways Agency/DfT. I was surprised that it had passed to an organisation more usually concerned with road infrastructure but I suppose in some ways it makes sense. I did ask, but can’t now remember how this will change when the railway over it is relayed.

• RMweb Premium

I was talking to someone recently and was told that it’s more recently passed from the BRB (Residuary) to the Highways Agency/DfT. I was surprised that it had passed to an organisation more usually concerned with road infrastructure but I suppose in some ways it makes sense. I did ask, but can’t now remember how this will change when the railway over it is relayed.

Transfer to Highways Agency / DfT took place on the 30th September 2013

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, I might be overly pedantic here but the Highways Agency ceased to exist in 2015.

The organisation that replaced them Highways England is an arms length Government Company not directly under the control of the DfT but rather reports to the ORR.

The fact don't seem to align.

I'd struggle to see why Highways England would take on a asset like that and all it's incumbent liabilities unless they were planning to build a dual carriageway over it.

Edit - I should have read Kris's post before typing!

I suspect the DfT would be the owners now rather than Highways England.

Edit:-

I stand corrected, a quick web search indicates that BRB (Residuary) Ltd was wound up and the assets taken over by the Highways Agency Historical Railways Estate which in turn became Highways England (Historical Railways Estate).

I guess the moral is check your facts before opening setting fingers to keyboards!

Hmm, I might be overly pedantic here but the Highways Agency ceased to exist in 2015.

The organisation that replaced them Highways England is an arms length Government Company not directly under the control of the DfT but rather reports to the ORR.

The fact don't seem to align.

I'd struggle to see why Highways England would take on a asset like that and all it's incumbent liabilities unless they were planning to build a dual carriageway over it.

Edit - I should have read Kris's post before typing!

I suspect the DfT would be the owners now rather than Highways England.

Edit:-

I stand corrected, a quick web search indicates that BRB (Residuary) Ltd was wound up and the assets taken over by the Highways Agency Historical Railways Estate which in turn became Highways England (Historical Railways Estate).

I guess the moral is check your facts before opening setting fingers to keyboards!

It still seems strange that it is under the control of an organisation responsible for roads - even if it does report to the ORR. I wonder whether ownership will be transferred to the restored line or if they’ll take a lease?

Archived