Mudmagnet's Workbench

• RMweb Gold

Hi

As a change from building Orchard Road, attention has turned to a few other projects.

To start, below are photos showing two wagon loads, both to fit Bachmann OCA wagons, although I have also made a second permanent way load for the Bachmann OBA, but not shown.

The permanent way load is removable and built onto a pre-scribed plasticard false floor, cut to be a snug fit into the wagon. This is painted before adding the details. To fix the ballast, the inside of the wagon is lined with a piece of cling film, then the false floor is pushed into the wagon. Next the ballast is added dry, with the pre-painted rail and sleepers where these sit in the ballast are added. Then everything is glued using diluted PVA with a drop of washing up liquid (to break the water tension). Leave at least for 24 hours before trying to lift out of the wagon, even then the glue may still be a bit wet so be careful when easing away the cling film. The other details can then be glued on place. The pallet and cable drum are scratchbuilt from plasticard and painted with acrylics.

The scrap load is made from bits of plasticard / plastic rod / plastic tube / etch brass etc. A 40 thou base is first cut to fit wagon, onto which a 5mm thick piece of foam is glued using PVA. Once this is dry, a further layer of PVA is added to the top of the foam and then the bits are added as randomly as possible to cover the foam. Then diluted PVA is then added on top to ensure that everything is glued, then leave to dry. When dry, the whole load is sprayed black (Warhammer Chaos Black can), then when dry the 'rust' is added by washing in colour, followed by dry-brushing. Note, the etch brass came from A1 Models, sold in a pack of mixed etches.

post-7854-0-26266100-1307827729_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-30704900-1307827749_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guy,

Thanks for your comments. All the painting has been done with Warhammer Citadel paints, which are mixed and thinned as required. The final finishing by dry-brushing. I will check the names of the paints used later and will post here.

Richard

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

About time that I added some more, so here goes.

Something very simple - a load of steel.

The sheets are cut from 10thou plasticard - the width to fit inside the OCA wagon. A few sheets are glued together using a few drops of PVA along the centreline and left to dry. Then each set is sprayed with grey primer, followed by drybrushing with Citadel paints to get the rusting effects, noting that the edges will be first areas to show signs of rusting as these are the cut edges. Small pieces off wood are then used to space the sheets, glued with small drops of super-glue. Thin wire (from multi-stranded wire) is wrapped around and ends twisted together. Finally a little more rust is applied.Also, being thin sheets (10 thou), they can be bend a little to represent where the sheets in real life would sag.

post-7854-0-44724900-1309633241_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-77505100-1309633261_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi richard, love the steel load, i picked up an OCA at members day yesterday so i think i may do a little project for a small engineers train for Deeping Lane

Cheers for the inspiration

Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Top stuff, the steel sheet load is particularly effective.

I hope you're going to paint the wheels on that OCA ;)

Thanks Pugsley.

Yeah, I've just noticed the wheels myself! Must add to the 'to-do-list'

Hi richard, love the steel load, i picked up an OCA at members day yesterday so i think i may do a little project for a small engineers train for Deeping Lane

Cheers for the inspiration

Neil

Thanks Neil, That's what we are here for! Are you going to post photos on Deeping Lane?

Hi Richard

Love your steel sheets they look fantastic, I wish I had your imagination.

Hi Ray, mostly based upon what I see out and about. Also, close study of photos in books can give some good ideas as well. I suppose the hardest part is then translating those ideas into models - normally deciding how to achieve it in model form.

All looking very effective, mudmagnet. The descriptions of how you've achieved it are most useful too, thanks.

Hi Mucky Duck (great name by the way), thanks. Quite a simple method and fairly easily explained - glad to see that it helps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The steel loads look great! The way they've sagged is most realistic

I've often seen these sheets sagging. Come out the rolling mills flat, then 'plonk' on a few bits of timber and then the sheets sag under their own weight.

A bit of gentle bending has created the sag in the plastic sheets - I'm pleased with the way that they have turned out!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've made a couple more scrap loads and sheet loads - see photos below.

I've also painted the wheels (thanks Pugsley) and also the buffer shanks as noted elsewhere on another thread.

Also on the list to do are the Cambrian Mermaids - need to add the decals and then weather. I have a few photos showing the weathering that I want to achieve. Hope to get these done in the next few weeks and will post photos. These will simply be loaded with ballast, but not sure at the moment whether to make removable or permanent. I have added some weight under the chassis, but not much space for very much. These have been sprayed using Citadel black from a can and then the white bits picked out.

post-7854-0-34162400-1310929566_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-52414400-1310929578_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-13357600-1310929588_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

They look great Richard and i the buffer stems look pretty good too, iv often looked at the mermaid kits and thought about buying a couple, yours look superb, great work mate

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil,

The Mermaids (like the other Cambrian kits) aren't the easiest to put together, but do make great looking models. The level of detail is superb and probably better than most RTR (although some is getting close).

I am very pleased with how they have turned out - need to get them finished and then add a couple of Dogfish so that I can run a 'Mer-Dog' train.

• Like 1

Looks great! Cambrian do make great kits - well worth the extra effort. The Cambrian 'Shark' brake van was one of the first kits I really wanted, still have it somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing them weathered!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks great! Cambrian do make great kits - well worth the extra effort. The Cambrian 'Shark' brake van was one of the first kits I really wanted, still have it somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing them weathered!

I am very pleased with the way that the Mermaids have finished. The moulding detail is very good. I did have a few difficulties getting the underframe / brake details together underneath, but persevered and all done. So much finer than can be achieved with the RTR offerings.

I also have a Shark brake van, just needs to be finished.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi

Not much to report with progress on the wagons!

I did however, buy a Bachmann HEA at the weekend and added some weathering. I plan to make a couple of interchangeable loads and will post photos when done. In the meantime a photo of the weathered wagon - need to fit the spratt and winkle couplings.

As usual, weathered using Citadel Warhammer paints and washes.

post-7854-0-89739200-1312317304_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of removing the colour cast to your image:

post-6668-0-05488400-1312317806_thumb.jpg

Which looks a lot better.

The outside of the wagon looks quite good, although the underframe looks a bit shiny, but what I can see of the inside doesn't really look like a coal hopper to me. It'd look good on an aggregate hopper though.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, as mentioned on my Burrington Arms thread, I have made a start on one of the buildings - namely a yard office. At the same time, I made two of these, plus a further two further offices (without the brick chimney, but will have stove chimney through the roof). Current progress is shown in the two photos. Construction for all follow the same basic principles, repeated here from the the Burrington Arms layout thread.

The timber cladding is from Evergreen sheets, with brick plasticard plinth and chimney. The window and door were made separately, with the door planks being individually glued onto a piece of 20 thou plasticard. I have yet to finish the roof, which will be grey paper, cut into strips and glued in place, which will then be lightly weathered. The wooden walls have been painted initially white with a little light brown added and when dry, was drybrushed with white over the top, although the colours are little washed out in the photo. I will spend a bit more time when the building has been finished. The bricks were first painted with slightly thinned buff paint and then drybrushed with leather colour paint. I will add a few slight colour variations later.

Thanks to Matto21 for the method of painting the bricks - certainly works well, although the colouring has not been finished yet!

Also, to follow will be the Bachmann class 37, bought yesterday and destined for heavy weathering! I have been trawling through books and internet to come up with suitable prototypes - so watch this space!

post-7854-0-08059100-1314531592.jpg

post-7854-0-35538300-1314531600.jpg

• Like 3