Mudmagnet's Workbench

Doing a dam fine splendid on the depot Richard, and you seem to have captured the feel of the depot at Buxton nicely, (sadly its all gone now) myself and AndrewP  had a good walk around it a few years back as it was derelict, and took loads of pictures with thoughts of building it myself one day, watching with interest...

• Thanks 1

Some really awesome modelling here.

Two questions

(a) What is the base color you use for the brick color?

(b) I would love to know how you constructed the ladders for the fuel tanks for the Wigan depot - I need to do something similar and I am at a loss of how to start.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Tex said:

Some really awesome modelling here.

Two questions

(a) What is the base color you use for the brick color?

(b) I would love to know how you constructed the ladders for the fuel tanks for the Wigan depot - I need to do something similar and I am at a loss of how to start.

Hi Tex

Thanks for the comment.

The brickwork is quite straightforward. The base colour is dark red brick (Railmatch), which is lightly brushed over the bricks in a random pattern, so that some areas are darker / more coverage than others. When dry, using the same technique, a different shade - Games Workshop 'skrag brown' is applied. When thoroughly dry, the mortar is washed in - watered down Games Workshop 'screaming skull' or 'ushabiti bone', and before dry, wiped off with a finger. This leaves patches on the brick work surfaces. Further drybrushing with similar shades can be added afterwards.

The ladders on the fuel tanks are fabricated from soldered brass wire. Very fiddly! I start with a template printed from my CAD to make the ladders and also the handrails. I will be having a look at 3D printing these when I get chance to draw up and trial on my resin 3D printer that I have just bought, but not yet used. I cannot print these on my filament 3D printer.

Hope that this helps.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/09/2020 at 07:21, georgeT said:

Doing a dam fine splendid on the depot Richard, and you seem to have captured the feel of the depot at Buxton nicely, (sadly its all gone now) myself and AndrewP  had a good walk around it a few years back as it was derelict, and took loads of pictures with thoughts of building it myself one day, watching with interest...

Thanks George, I have used Andy's photos for very useful reference. There are also some great internal photos on '28dayslater' website. I have found a few odd photos online else where but most of the Buxton ones show the various locos stabled there and not too many showing the depot.

4 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Hi Tex

Thanks for the comment.

The brickwork is quite straightforward. The base colour is dark red brick (Railmatch), which is lightly brushed over the bricks in a random pattern, so that some areas are darker / more coverage than others. When dry, using the same technique, a different shade - Games Workshop 'skrag brown' is applied. When thoroughly dry, the mortar is washed in - watered down Games Workshop 'screaming skull' or 'ushabiti bone', and before dry, wiped off with a finger. This leaves patches on the brick work surfaces. Further drybrushing with similar shades can be added afterwards.

The ladders on the fuel tanks are fabricated from soldered brass wire. Very fiddly! I start with a template printed from my CAD to make the ladders and also the handrails. I will be having a look at 3D printing these when I get chance to draw up and trial on my resin 3D printer that I have just bought, but not yet used. I cannot print these on my filament 3D printer.

Hope that this helps.

Hi Mudmagnet,

Thanks so much.

I was "afraid" that you had fabricated the ladders from scratch.  I am not sure my patience or skills are up to it - maybe I just have to bite the bullet and try it.

I am based in the US and so it is not always easy to get ahold of some paint types (Phoeni, Railmatch) either locally or by mail.  I have tried a few different reds and oranges for a base brick color and none of them look right.  I wonder if there are any ex pats who frequent this site that have been able to find comparable colors in brands available in the US?

Tex

Hi Tex,

I live in northwestern Canada and have the same issue getting suitable paints. I have been trying Citadel  and The Army Painter brands as the local gamers store carry them.  The Army Painter is excellent paint and adheres to brass very well once cured. I found Citadel not so good for brass. Both ranges have a large selection of colours though the local store only carries a small selection. The Army Painter "Chaotic Red" is a very close match for LMS/BR maroon. 

I have heard excellent reports about Vallejo paints but have not had chance to try them myself.

All the above should be easily available in the USA.

All the best

Mark

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MarkNJ said:

Hi Tex,

I live in northwestern Canada and have the same issue getting suitable paints. I have been trying Citadel  and The Army Painter brands as the local gamers store carry them.  The Army Painter is excellent paint and adheres to brass very well once cured. I found Citadel not so good for brass. Both ranges have a large selection of colours though the local store only carries a small selection. The Army Painter "Chaotic Red" is a very close match for LMS/BR maroon. 

I have heard excellent reports about Vallejo paints but have not had chance to try them myself.

All the above should be easily available in the USA.

All the best

Mark

Thanks for the tips - not heard of either brand before, so I will have to check them out.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Tex said:

Hi Mudmagnet,

Thanks so much.

I was "afraid" that you had fabricated the ladders from scratch.  I am not sure my patience or skills are up to it - maybe I just have to bite the bullet and try it.

I am based in the US and so it is not always easy to get ahold of some paint types (Phoeni, Railmatch) either locally or by mail.  I have tried a few different reds and oranges for a base brick color and none of them look right.  I wonder if there are any ex pats who frequent this site that have been able to find comparable colors in brands available in the US?

Tex

Hi Tex,

Glad to help. I hadn't noticed that you live the other side of the pond and that materials / paints readily available in the UK are not available elsewhere! 

The great thing about the internet of course that easy to forget that anyone in the world can read my posts!

I think that Games Workshop paints can be bought over the internet and ship to US. Just had a quick look at their website. 

Making up the ladders / handrails can be quite tricky, but worth the effort. A good clean soldering iron, cleaned brass and patience is mostly all needed. Oh, plus a few basic tools to hold the wire in place. I find 'blutack' useful to hold the wire in place when soldering.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2020 at 20:51, mudmagnet said:

Hi Tex,

Glad to help. I hadn't noticed that you live the other side of the pond and that materials / paints readily available in the UK are not available elsewhere! 

The great thing about the internet of course that easy to forget that anyone in the world can read my posts!

I think that Games Workshop paints can be bought over the internet and ship to US. Just had a quick look at their website. 

Making up the ladders / handrails can be quite tricky, but worth the effort. A good clean soldering iron, cleaned brass and patience is mostly all needed. Oh, plus a few basic tools to hold the wire in place. I find 'blutack' useful to hold the wire in place when soldering.

I wonder if our american friend recognises Blu tak, produced by Bostik in Leicester. There will be other brands.

I worked for Evostik / Bostik for 23 years.  When the two companies merged clearly Blu tak was Bostiks cash cow.  A collegue in the Bostik marketing team said, "if the public realise it's reusable, we are finished", where does it go?

I saw a complaint once.  Someone was objecting to Bostik's claim that blue tak has 1000's of uses.  His view was sticking one thing to another was one use and he was struggling to find anymore.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, wagonbasher said:

I wonder if our american friend recognises Blu tak, produced by Bostik in Leicester. There will be other brands.

I worked for Evostik / Bostik for 23 years.  When the two companies merged clearly Blu tak was Bostiks cash cow.  A collegue in the Bostik marketing team said, "if the public realise it's reusable, we are finished", where does it go?

I saw a complaint once.  Someone was objecting to Bostik's claim that blue tak has 1000's of uses.  His view was sticking one thing to another was one use and he was struggling to find anymore.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for thinking of me.  Although I have lived in the US for approaching 30 years, I grew up in the UK (Burton-on-Trent) so I am familiar with most of the UK brands - I still call somethings by the British name and this can sometimes cause confusion.  Since I model BR Blue, I need to get most of my stuff from the UK, the biggest problem is paint due to shipping restrictions.  For some brands, Humbrol for example, there are suppliers either in the US or Canada.

Tex

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress on the Buxton depot. Almost finished.

I've added 3D printed roof vents and telephone bells (printed on my new 3D resin printer). The doors and large windows being printed on my 3D filament printer.

Buxton 16 sml.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

I've finished the depot building and took some photos outside - the grass is out of scale!

I'm quite tempted to have a go at the depot in 4mm with the office on the right side.

Buxton 31 sml.jpg

Buxton 32 sml.jpg

Buxton 33 sml.jpg

Buxton 34 sml.jpg

Buxton 35 sml.jpg

Buxton 39 sml.jpg

Even got grass growing inside the shed LOL. Fantastic work Richard.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Quite a few projects on the go at the moment, but mainly 3D printed. However, I spotted a 7mm Slaters kit of a BD container for sale the other day, for a good price and thought would make a good quick project. One day will find its way onto a layout as a static storage unit.

PB080025.JPG

• Like 4

On 24/09/2020 at 19:59, mudmagnet said:

I've finished the depot building and took some photos outside - the grass is out of scale!

I'm quite tempted to have a go at the depot in 4mm with the office on the right side.

Buxton 31 sml.jpg

Buxton 32 sml.jpg

Buxton 33 sml.jpg

Buxton 34 sml.jpg

Buxton 35 sml.jpg

Buxton 39 sml.jpg

….you  taking orders? :D

• Thanks 1

On 27/09/2020 at 16:17, mudmagnet said:

Moving on from the depot building, still staying at Buxton and 7mm scale, I've made up a fuel equipment model. Largely 3D printed, in sections and then assembled.

Fuel kit 1.jpg

Fuel kit 3.jpg

Carried this one off very well Richard.

post-6749-0-75926300-1296398024_thumb.jpg.1715cfded7d9e59e988797ecb4e444d6.jpg.9ce70d539f12cf9c6fdf2f8fc471db4e.jpg

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Although I have not posted much here, been busy, mainly with 3D printing. 

One project, which is not completed yet, are a pair of Donelli PD350 rail lifters. Each were carried on a Lomac (or similar) to the work area. Temporary rails run alongside, then machine lifts off support and rotate through 90deg to lower onto temporary rail.

The main part, support and bases are 3D printed individually. The operator cage is loose and not in correct position. There are a few issues to sort but hope to get a complete model finished soon. 

20201228_175540.jpg

20201228_175517.jpg

20201228_175501.jpg

20201228_175443.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3