Where Are We All?

• RMweb Premium

Probably doesn't have much timber. And maybe not even a creek most of the year :rolleyes:

Gotta love the irony in Aussie place names. One place you'll seldom see a kangaroo is on Kangaroo Flat :laugh:

Hi,

I live in rockingham WA.

Hi,

I live in Orange, NSW.

I'd love to get to know any other modellers around here.

Regards,

David Taylor.

I just spent two weeks in orange on holidays :P :O

I met another guy up there that is starting in N guage.

Regards,

Owen

Well, you came over at the right time of year... avoid the summer heat and all :)

I know one guys who models in HO, and some of the guys in the model engineering club have various small scale models as one-offs and long dormant layouts which don't seem to be as much fun as riding around on the bigger trains!

I'm getting spread a bit too thin with family, work, study, an OO scale trainset to build for the boys, O scale modelling for myself, I've just joined the S scale society because that looks like my sort of group, repainting my current 5" gauge 0-4-0, building an electric one with some spare bits I have, and there is a 5" gauge 2-6-0 project to get started. Not hard to see I'm a good starter but not much of a finisher!

Regards,

David.

Public transport over here is supposed to be the best in Australia ( or so the transport lectures at uni say )

It can be a bit interesting to navigate though.

I took a chance to go and see the live steam loco's in orange the last weekend I was there. It was nice to see a number of australian prototypes being modelled. I take it you 5" is live steam as well. Whata are you moddeling?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon, and fellow modellers.

I'm from Kings Langley, Western Sydney, NSW....certainly not alone

Given the size of Australia (and do we include our mates from across the 'dutch'), it might be worth knowing who is based where, so that we can identify who is local to who.Happy to start the ball rolling.

I'm Jon and I live in Kellyville, North West Sydney. Anybody else nearby?

Public transport over here is supposed to be the best in Australia ( or so the transport lectures at uni say )

It can be a bit interesting to navigate though.

I took a chance to go and see the live steam loco's in orange the last weekend I was there. It was nice to see a number of australian prototypes being modelled. I take it you 5" is live steam as well. Whata are you moddeling?

I have a 5" gauge freelance 0-4-0. I've just done some CAD drawings for the tender frames for a 24-class NSWGR 2-6-0 which we're going to get laser cut - about 8 people are going to try to build one following along with one of the club's better builders as he makes one for himself.

The club does have a focus for NSWGR prototypes, and have a special NSW steam running day each year, but we also have some guys making NSW diesel models. There is a beautiful Silver City comet which was featured in AME recently, and a railcar too.

Live steam is a lot of fun, the engines certainly smell right compared to our little electric ones :) But then being so small they're also tricky to keep going. I used to be a stoker on a preseved steam yacht on Sydney Harbour and it's full size boiler was probably easier to run than these little ones!

Regards,

David.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Jon

I am from Guildford in western Sydney........I am into oo gauge british steam..........no layout yet but the room is almost complete and the layout plan is ready.......see below..........Cheers Gormo

GREAT CHESTERFORD

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anybody else in Sydney? Or am I alone?? unsure.gif

Hi Jon,

I have just joined this site and I'm in Padstow, Sydney... Seems to be a lot of Victorians on this site. I have just started an OO layout, with no particular area/region in mind. Just something for my son to run his Thomas on ! Although I am taking it a little more serious than a small simple layout !!

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gary and welcome. I'm sure you will find some other modellers nearby but in the meantime - and with location being no object on the internet - there's plenty to read and enjoy so get stuck in.

• RMweb Premium

Try living in Chch, NZ... ;)

I'm not even sure where my local modelling shop went!

Representing liquefaction in model form might be a challenge as well. Hope you're all OK over there. It still doesn't sound too stable.

• Like 1

Representing liquefaction in model form might be a challenge as well. Hope you're all OK over there. It still doesn't sound too stable.

It's actually quite easy for the wet stuff... pick up some off the garden and plop it all over the model in little piles... for additional effect pile it up and pour water over it ;)

Thankfully we haven't been put out much at all by the quakes - although we did buy a house just before the December aftershocks... There are so many much worse off than we are

• 4 weeks later...

I also reside in beautiful Christchurch, NZ. Although I'm interested in a variety of NZ, UK & US railway subjects, I am trying very hard (and rather unsuccessfully...) to concentrate on Blue era BR in N scale. Hoping to get something small up and running in the near future.