Where Are We All?

And how is Christchurch doing these days? I sincerely hope it stays stable enough for long enough to actually get something up and running.

I must confess to being one of the lucky inhabitants of the city's north-west - we've come through the whole thing pretty much untouched. The central city is stuffed, and there are a lot of people still waiting to hear what will happen to their homes, but I think most of us here are just trying to get on with things. The baby is probably more of a threat to the modelling than the earthquakes at this stage ;)

• Like 1

I concur. We were in the Central City for the September one, moved over to Heathcote in time for the big one there... then up to Kaiapoi in time for the December lot! Don't worry Joe - we aren't planning on moving again any time soon!

The kids are a bit of a hinder here too... it's an older house so rooms are small, and where there is space it's not for long...

Did Brittania Models survive the quake in Chch?

Their shop is about half a km away from my home. Yes, they survived the earthquakes- this area has come off very lightly- but they are shutting up shop for good at the end of the month. So I guess that might have happened last weekend. Talking to the owners Mike and Henry, they said that it was just not financially viable to keep the shop going. As well as wanting to properly retire they had had three(?) increases in their insurance after the September 2010 earthquake, a rent hike, and had to vacate one of the two shops that they had occupied (their store room). Also, they said that trade had almost completely died since the earthquakes, with people having more money worries... Very sad to see them go - they had been in that shop for a very long time :(

Try living in Chch, NZ... ;)

I'm not even sure where my local modelling shop went!

Well, Acorn is still there as is the one on Colombo and Ironhorse. Brittania are closing but not #eqnz related. Robin Knight still trading as Christchurch Scratchbuilding supplies too. Not so bad here at all considering.

Kev.

Their shop is about half a km away from my home. Yes, they survived the earthquakes- this area has come off very lightly- but they are shutting up shop for good at the end of the month. So I guess that might have happened last weekend. Talking to the owners Mike and Henry, they said that it was just not financially viable to keep the shop going. As well as wanting to properly retire they had had three(?) increases in their insurance after the September 2010 earthquake, a rent hike, and had to vacate one of the two shops that they had occupied (their store room). Also, they said that trade had almost completely died since the earthquakes, with people having more money worries... Very sad to see them go - they had been in that shop for a very long time :(

Thats a shame to hear Mike and Henry have shut the shop.Great model shop that was.Never seemed to be able to go in for 5 minutes always ended up an hour or two lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

How can you be lonely in the Blue Mountains? I know at least three other people up there! ;)

I reckon Gerladton might do it for 'most remote' unless we have someone here from Uluru!

I am in Woodend Victoria so just far enough away from Melbourne to be a pain but close enough to Bendigo/Ballarat.

Model UK 3mm scale, US N scale an have 1 HO scale loco I take when visiting other modellers.

Know a few other modellers in the region but none from here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone.

Joined today, I am in Paremata on the northern end of the Wellington Metro area.

Modelling in 0n30, a freelaned coal branch located on the South Island's West Coast - where I grew up.

I love scratch building and kitbashing, usually accompanied by a fine red wine or a single malt scotch and jazz or blues music.

I have recently started a web page at blackcreeknarrowgauge.webs.com just to let my kids know that I really aren't a complete luddite!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm in Perth's eastern hills, nominally working in 7 mm with an interest in British light railway and industrial prototypes. No layout yet though, and no real prospect for the forseeable future.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I joined RMWeb a while ago but have only just stumbled across this thread; spent all my time prior to this on SR, 7mm and other UK-prototype-related threads. I live in Whangarei, at the northern end of NZ. You may have already gleaned some of my interests, namely Southern Railways in 7mm scale but I also do some New Zealand steam-era railways in same scale. Main activity with NZR modelling so far is creating some rapid prototyped masters for the standard NZR coupler in 1/48 for a mate.

I only switched to SR 7mm recently, having focussed on NZR in 9mm:ft for many years, so I don't have much done yet. Currently building some portable benchwork using thin ply glued around large blocks of foam accurately cut with hot-wire cutter of my own creation. Time is somewhat restricted, for doing commercial model building and model railway materials manufacturing and importing.

Regards

Paul Woods

Given the size of Australia (and do we include our mates from across the 'dutch'), it might be worth knowing who is based where, so that we can identify who is local to who.Happy to start the ball rolling.

I'm Jon and I live in Kellyville, North West Sydney. Anybody else nearby?

Only just found this thread.I am currently in Willoughby but move to Turramurra on December14. Check my now defunct layout on http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14500-abbeyfield-brner-1948-1956./page__fromsearch__1.The move brings the prospect of a new layout based on Manors BR(NE).Are you a member of BRMA?

Currently in Canberra for the foreseeable future. Modelling QR in HOn3.5. I dabble in NSW and have a few other odds and ends in the cabinet. No layout as such yet, but one day..

So you're not going to model Wallangarra/Jennings then...?? Best of both worlds, 3'6" & 4'8.5" !!

Cheers, Gary.

G'day all,

I'm down here in Sutherland myself, waiting to watch the world crumble whilst The Shire stays perfectly intact next Friday.

Steve, Lilli Pilli is a wonderful place to live. I have a few mates who live down there, plus as Gary said it is a fantastic spot to fish from.

G'day all,

I'm down here in Sutherland myself, waiting to watch the world crumble whilst The Shire stays perfectly intact next Friday.

Steve, Lilli Pilli is a wonderful place to live. I have a few mates who live down there, plus as Gary said it is a fantastic spot to fish from.

For us who don't live in the Shire, do you still need a day pass to get in or travel through....? :keeporder: :sungum: :keeporder:

Cheers, Gary.