Border Counties Railway

'CHARD

Guest Max Stafford

Ex NE D20s have also been noted on the route and a photo exists of 62387 at Riccarton, awaiting departure from the south bay in 1955/6.

I think there were pre-war sitings too.

Dave.

• 2 months later...

Just a coulple of quick questions on behalf of my Dad, who is half considering a layout based on the BCR...

Firstly, did B1s ever work the route, either on freight or passenger turns?

Secondly, what coaching stock was used? A quick scout around has revealed the use of Gresley and Thompson corridors. Were the non-corridor designs of these types ever used?

Thanks. :)

Just a coulple of quick questions on behalf of my Dad, who is half considering a layout based on the BCR...

Firstly, did B1s ever work the route, either on freight or passenger turns?

Secondly, what coaching stock was used? A quick scout around has revealed the use of Gresley and Thompson corridors. Were the non-corridor designs of these types ever used?

A quick look through the usual reference sources comes up with:-

K3 and D49 permitted. No sign of any thing regarding B1.

Passenger trains with V3 locos around 1950 used a couple of suburban coaches.

Not seen too good a view to identify exactly what type. As you say the usual make up was corridor stock.

That's a start. I will have a deeper look later.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

In my youth the line was worked by a mix of NER and NB locos. These were D29 (rare) and D30s from Hawick. Very occasionly it was a Glen. the other NB locos were D32s (two allocated to Blaydon) and J36s outstationed from Blaydon tot Hexham and Reedsmouth. The NER locos working the line were the J21s. The NB 4-4-0s were replaced by D20s (three of the D20/2s were at Blaydon) then two D49s "The Rufford" and "The Percy" took over the passenger services to Hawick. There is at least one photo of V1/V3 2-6-2Ts on the line. I am pretty sure that B1s were used but I would have to check that one.

Hope this helps.

ArthuK

• RMweb Premium

Just checked.

I haven't found any photos of B1s on the line. But there are quite a few of the Blaydon k1s in particular 62023 and 62026. there is also a photo of K3 61990 Also of note are BR standards 77011 and 76046/9. Hope that helps.

Some time around 1948 one of the Blaydon D32s hade the local headlines when iran into a landslip.

Quite a few of other NER classes (F8, G5, J25 & J27) ran into Reedsmouth from Morpeth as did Ivatts 464xx.

ArthurK

The critical factor AFAIK was the bridge just north of Hexham. I think this might be the reason for the lack of any B1 sightings.

As Arthur writes most of the smaller locomotives based in the general area were used from time to time.

I have had no luck with finding any close views of suburban stock.

You can of course slightly tweak history.

Bernard

Thank you very much both. :)

Will pass the information on. Might suggest he run his B1 and Gresley subs as a rambler's excursion from Newcastle via Morpeth and Scotsgap, thus avoiding Hexham - modellers licence and all that...

• RMweb Premium

There were troop movements over the line to Woodburn on the Wansbeck Valley line. These were sometimes hauled by a pair of J21s. However because double heading was not allowed over the Border Counties Bridge over the Tyne at Hexham the two locos were separated and the first proceeded alone to Wall. The second loco have to take the train unaided to meet up with its companion at Wall where they were recoupled. That would create a talking point on a model aspecially if the bridge itself were modelled.

A further point is the B1 a bigger RA restriction as the K3? I would have thought that they would be about the same. Or does the K3 create less hammer blow because of the three cylinders rather than they B1's two.Just a thought. One more thought I don't think that Blaydon had B1s on its books so it would be natural for them to use K1s of which it was allocated ten (62021-62030) when they were built.

ArthurK

A further point is the B1 a bigger RA restriction as the K3? I would have thought that they would be about the same. Or does the K3 create less hammer blow because of the three cylinders rather than they B1's two.Just a thought.

ArthurK

The RCTS Green Book mentions that K3 and D49 were permitted.

I think that must have something to do with your comment Arthur, rather than it being simply a matter of weight.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

The North British Railway in Northumberland by G.W.M Sewell lists as operating over the Northumbrian branches suggests B1s did appear (P145) but gives no numbers or dates.

It also lists the following classes which may be of interest to those who consider modelling the line:

D1/11/20/25/26/29/30/31/32/33/34/49/51

K1/2/3 BR2mt/3mt/4mt 2-6-0s

C15/16

N2

J21/25/27/31/32/33/34/325/36/37/39/82

F8

G5/6

So for such a small line it had an amazing variety.

One more thought I don't think that Blaydon had B1s on its books so it would be natural for them to use K1s of which it was allocated ten (62021-62030) when they were built.

There is a photo of 61022 at Blaydon shed at http://www.rolyveitch.20m.com/BlaydonHistoryRailways.html, but obviously it's most likely to just be a visitor as opposed to an allocated loco.

The impression I'm getting is that his considered location for a layout would be somewhere past Bellingham heading up towards Riccarton, so I should imagine that anything that could theoretically run via Hexham or the Wansbeck Valley line would be feasible. As Blandford says, there's a lot of variety for such a rural line.

Incidentially, I did find evidence of some suburban coaches on the line if anyones interested...

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/chollerton/index1.shtml

One Gresley 4-compatrment brake and a Thompson compo, on the bridge at Chollerton. Both on Hornby's books. Shame we can't see the rest of the train.

• RMweb Premium

Blaydon formed the servicing point for many locos, not only for the local services and the Border Counties line but also those from Carlisle and from the south if Gateshead was busy. It was not uncommon for A3s and V2s there to be serviced. B1s certainly came for servicing. As the turntables at Blaydon (inside the shed) were too small the larger locos were turned on the triangle with the line to Consett. I recall in my school days seeing " Captain Cuttle" doing just that. We could see the southeastern end of the triangle from the school playing fields. I visited Blaydon shed several times per week and always took great delight of those wonderful names of the Scots, "Wandering Willie", Caleb Balderstone", "Dugald Dalgetty" and the rest! Those were the days.

In LNER and early BR days the line was worked from the north end with locos and stock from Hawick. The suburban stock was largely of NB coaches.

There are (or were) several books written about this line. The only one I coulkd find quicky was "Border Counties Album" which covers all the lines of the area but I am sure that I have others.

ArthurK

• 5 months later...

I don't know if this has been discussed on here before, but 'Slow Train to Riccarton' appears to have shown up on YouTube at last. And what a damn good watch it is! Great footage of the last train leaving Hexham and heading over the Border Counties Bridge at the start. If only they still made documentaries like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C77PPfthgm4

Enjoy,

Arp

I don't know if this has been discussed on here before, but 'Slow Train to Riccarton' appears to have shown up on YouTube at last. And what a damn good watch it is! Great footage of the last train leaving Hexham and heading over the Border Counties Bridge at the start. If only they still made documentaries like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C77PPfthgm4

Enjoy,

Arp

Hi Arp,

Thanks for bringing this bach to my Attention. Lots of old friends like 'Wink Hendry', Cambell Richardson, and many more. Very evocative.

Thanks again.

Roy P

Afternoon All,

Another interesting station that might make a good basis for a model was Reedsmouth Juction in Northumberland.  I went there in May, 1964 and have put some pictures on Flickr.  If anyone would like to have a look, this is the first one :

8431734193_3feb7e938a_m.jpg
R1536.  Reedsmouth Junction. May,1964. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

Clicking on it will enlarge it and take you to the others.

Hope that they are of interest.

Excellent - if we could co-exist with this thread in Waverley Route group, I'd be pleased to keep this excellent archive material together.

Thanks for posting, Ron - this is an exceptional collection.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/39128-border-counties-railway/

EDIT: many thanks to whoever's covering Admin on this shift, for the move!

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone.

This is my first posting and I wonder if anyone can provide any info or photo material on the border counties line at Gunnerton betwen Barrasford and Wark.I am modelling the line around these two areas--I live in Gunnerton and especially any info on the Gunnerton siding would be greatly appreciated. It appears it existed frpm say 1880 to 1920?

Many thanks

Rob

Hi Everyone.

This is my first posting and I wonder if anyone can provide any info or photo material on the border counties line at Gunnerton betwen Barrasford and Wark.I am modelling the line around these two areas--I live in Gunnerton and especially any info on the Gunnerton siding would be greatly appreciated. It appears it existed frpm say 1880 to 1920?

Many thanks

Rob

I think this shows it, Rob:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

Search on Railway Cottage, Gunnerton, HEXHAM, Northumberland, NE48 4AS

Choose this map:

1922 Pre-WWII 1:2,500 - NORTHUMBERLAND

You need co-ordinates:

Ex NE D20s have also been noted on the route and a photo exists of 62387 at Riccarton, awaiting departure from the south bay in 1955/6.

I think there were pre-war sitings too.

Dave.

And for a period around the end of WW2 the ex GNR D1's were used, some of them finishing up in the Ballast Haul at Riccarton awaiting the scrap man.

roygraham

I think this shows it, Rob:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

Search on Railway Cottage, Gunnerton, HEXHAM, Northumberland, NE48 4AS

Choose this map:

1922 Pre-WWII 1:2,500 - NORTHUMBERLAND

You need co-ordinates:

Thank you very much Chard for providing info about the map link for Gunnerton siding. Very helpful and is a great start to my model design.

Regards Rob

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Morning all,

A couple of new images have appeared on Flickr both from the 1956 Garden tours qith 65106, the first at Bellingham with the engine running round http://www.flickr.com/photos/30937/9552732772/in/faves-29644579@N07/ and the second at Reedsmouth http://www.flickr.com/photos/30937/9552730662/

regards

Duncan

• 2 months later...

So glad I joined this Forum - I've been trying to find evidence of a D11 using the Border Counties to no avail.  I'd seen that they'd been used in NBR in Northumberland; also a friend of mine is old enough to remember a tea time departure from Newcastle to Hawick (4.30pm?) which featured them now and again (but can't remember any names!)  Then using the link from one of the replies above, it led me to the Disused Station site and there it is September 1952 - a D49 crossing a D11 at Reedsmouth.  Sadly no details of the loco.  Does anyone know any of the D11s that worked the route? 

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r/reedsmouth/index28.shtml

Archived