Border Counties Railway

'CHARD

There is a pic of 62677 Edie Ochiltree near Humshaugh with a 4 coach train ( no date given) in the Hexham to Hawick Middleton press book -  I must get this book back to Bruce McCartney .

Stewart .

Thanks - will look that out. Amazing - I've just got the Bachmann version of this so no renumbering/naming required!!

Thanks - will look that out. Amazing - I've just got the Bachmann version of this so no renumbering/naming required!!

You will have to apply the early BR crest to the tender as I think the Border Counties line would have closed before 62677 received it's late crests .

Stewart .

Hi Everyone

I have just purchased aGem Kitbuilt D30  The Pirate- however I would like to renumber and rename to become Ellengowan or Wandering Wille as I know these 2 engines would have passed by Gunnerton many times.

Does anyone know where I could purchase new number decals and nameplate decal for the D30?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

PS --Roy==Gunnerton siding served a small sawmill on the outskirts of the village. Gunnerton did have a quarry at Gunnerton crags and beyond--but these lines went back into Barrasford Quarry sidings not Gunnerton

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I have pictures from Colour Rail (copyright unfortunately) of K3 61897 at Kielder, D49 62771 at Reedsmouth, D30 62423 at Humshaugh with two panelled brake thirds (one possibly NER the other possibly a Gresley) with a Thompson CL in the middle (all three in BR crimson so safe to assume non-corridor) and J21 65033 coming off the branch at Hexham with a single coach in blood and custard (therefore a corridor vehicle?).

A look at the Colour Rail web site would allow a glance at the thumbnails to confirm relevance or interest.

RCTS Part 2B has nothing to say about B1s on the BCR, although they were used on the Waverley Route.

RCTS Part 1 suggests that the BCR was RA (Route Availability) 6, but that D49s and K3s (both RA8) were permitted. B1s were RA5, so this doesn't in itself explain the apparent absence of B1s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

As some may know I have a weakness for the Border Counties and these I found tonight are lovely

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trains-travel/35652487620/in/dateposted/ Bellingham station looking towards Reedsmouth

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trains-travel/35870807452/in/dateposted/ Reedsmouth station in 1964

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trains-travel/35612308940/in/dateposted/ Scotsgap over the station site looking east

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trains-travel/35161518864/in/dateposted/ Scotsgap looking west

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trains-travel/35612313520/in/dateposted/ Woodburn

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trains-travel/36001080695/in/dateposted/ NER van at Woodburn

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Super, thanks. I have a D&S Models' kit of one of the NER vans on the go, so very useful photo - thanks for posting. 

• 3 months later...

Good Evening RMwebbers

I have been a long time lurker, mainly to avoid the contentious posts and frothing that come up in the various sub forums.

The Border Counties is also a favourite subject and having amassed quite a bit of information I thought I could expand on and clarify some of the points made in earlier posts. My own time frame is the BR period until closure in 1958. With regard to B1s: they were allowed over Border Counties bridge west of Hexham as they were RA5, but more importantly the weight of the engine was the same as a K3, around 71 tons. Following on from an article by Ian Futers in the September 1976 edition of the Railway modeller, there was correspondence in the succeeding months and the March 1977 edition contained a list of locos known to have worked over the line. The years since have added quite a few more to the original list: the following B1s have been noted; 61011, 61100, 61215, 61255, 62330, 61333, 61341 and 61354. There is only one recorded working of a B1 on the Wansbeck Valley line - it apparently got as far as Morpeth Golf Club before the mistake was realised.

HTH

I only started looking at this line fairly recently.Theres a British Transport film "One man's Kingdom"which features a D49 on a passenger train in about 1952 heading for Bellingham Market.There is also film of the special from Morpeth to Reedsmouth and Bellingham.This was also the closure special for the Rothbury line.

According to Harry Knox's book on St. Margaret's engine shed a fair amount of freight was routed this way in pre war days because St. Margaret's crews could work right through to Tyneside whereas on the East Coast route it was the arrangement to change crews if not locos at Tweedmouth

I've read somewhere that plans to upgrade the line were laid out but never carried out because of the war.

The line was used to capacity, particularly during the Great War years, but also to a slightly lesser extent prior to the grouping in 1923. The reason was historical - the NBR was only paying for 21 miles of running on NER tracks between Border Counties Jcn and Newcastle rather than 67 miles from Berwick to Newcastle. The NER, on the other hand, benefitted greatly having running powers from Berwick to Edinburgh. The through Edinburgh-Newcastle freight traffic continued after the Grouping but petered out as it was all switched to the ECML. Bill Sewell's book The North British Railway in Northumberland has a Train Working diagram for 1896 which shows just how the line was used intensively. Interestingly, all of the St. Margaret's allocated K2s were recorded working the "Beer train", 11:55 p.m. Duddingston to Newcastle Forth during the few years after they were transferred north, a bit before my time of interest though.

Archived