2mm Expo

Gingerbread

I spent a pleasant day at Keighley attending my first 2mm Expo - though it undoubtedly fell short of the infamous Oxford event of the previous year. Early morning train journey up to Leeds looked in doubt when the notice board at Kings Cross showed warning about unspecified delays and cancellations due to cable thefts in the Newcastle area, but fortunately we were unaffected by them.

For most of the day I was pretending to help Nigel Ashton on his "Llangerisech" layout, which in my admittedly biased view was the best layout there, though David Eveleigh's much smaller "Framsden" just across the aisle was another candidate (and worthy winner of last year's "Golden Jubilee" Challenge).

Llangerisech is a fictitious Cambrian terminus "somewhere in North Wales", and is intended to be run in any of three eras - 1930s, blue diesels or current. Mostly today was "current" to avoid the need for signalling, and to make greater use of DCC and lighting (or perhaps "almost current", to justify the presence of Wrexham and Shropshire stock). However an Ixion Manor did make an occasional appearance, using Nigel's prototype replacement chassis. There were very few technical problems - two of the points were a little reluctant to move across fully, and occasionally needed a manual "shove", and when the Dukedog made a late appearance for a photocall (at my suggestion) it declined to move until its tender-to-loco driveshaft was correctly repositioned.

I include a few quick photos of Llangerisech below - apologies for not having pictures of other layouts to include here, but perhaps other members can contribute theirs. Paul Martin took some rather better pictures just before the layout was dismantled, and these will no doubt appear in due course either on the website or in the magazine.

post-10888-0-98329300-1307868122_thumb.jpg

post-10888-0-35360600-1307868164_thumb.jpg

post-10888-0-73193400-1307868192_thumb.jpg

post-10888-0-00920700-1307868225_thumb.jpg

post-10888-0-10212200-1307868247_thumb.jpg

I picked up some etches from David Eveleigh to test my soldering skills over the next few months, and spent a small fortune at the 2mm Central Shop getting most of the extras to complete them (and a few other stalled projects) - coach wheels are available again, at last :). Inevitably there were a few shortages, and no doubt when I recheck I will find a few things I have overlooked - looking on the bright side, that will give me an excuse for not finishing them for a bit longer...

Lots of interesting discussions with others there, 2mm members, RMweb members, and a few passers-by from the Keighley MRC whose premises were being used for the event. An interesting variety of small layouts in various stages of completion, several official demonstrators (though much of their time was spent chatting), and a relaxed atmosphere, much less crowded than the typical show or exhibition. Well worth attending.

David

Hi David

Yes it was a very relaxed and informative experience. I was good to meet you and I also chatted with a lot of other people to the point I had to tear myself away at 3:30pm for a date with a Pendelino but I gained no end of knowledge from the likes of Geoff Jones and AndyH (thanks Andy!) amongst others just a shame there wasn't more time for this. I think my friend Richard has got us an invite to Darkest Essex group and once I have sorted out my images I think I have a few to add.

Regards

Tom

Thanks for the photos guys, as Kris said its great to see what the show was like when you didnt go. Please if anyone has more photos then let me know (or post them here)

Im glad that it was a show worthwhile going to though. As a matter of interest who was the guy with the narrow gauge stuff?

Missy :yes:

Oh dear - that's a rather incriminating photo of my demo table (but not me!) :blush: . I can't have been far away, as the cake and cup of tea were there!

The sum total of my modelling progress was to fold up one wagon chassis and solder the nut back on to my SR brake van kit after I'd pulled it off earlier in the day. The rest of the time was spent chatting with people, spending money and looking at some of the superb modelling on display (and eating cake!). There was a lot of interest in the layout, 02 shunter (must have another go at the chassis), J72, Gresley coach kits, etc....

Nice to meet SteveBedding, Backofanenvelope (some photos of the J72 would be good when you get going with it ;) ) Bryn, Pixie, and co. and all the other RMwebbers. I think it was a successful day all round - even the somewhat intimidating lifts up to the clubrooms behaved themselves (unlike last time!).

I managed to acquire some coach seating strip and wheels for the Gresley and Thompson coaches I will shortly be building, some wheels for a loco project and some vintage 2mm goodies from a member selling off the contents of his gloat box to fund a S scale project. Most importantly, my enthusiasm levels have been topped-up, so some more modelling should be on the cards soon! :yahoo:

And finally a couple of photos of the rather splendid little Scottish shunting layout 'Inverneuk';

post-8055-0-23022200-1307891631_thumb.jpg

post-8055-0-57107400-1307891655_thumb.jpg

Andy

• RMweb Gold

as the cake and cup of tea were there!

not forgetting the Prawn Cocktail crisps too :D

Thanks all for posting photos - can't believe its a year since the last Expo.

Nice to see some layouts not seen previously too...is that a Minitrix class 27 in one of them?

Can someone just explain the use of the kitchen cutting board/metal rulers :blink: in front of Anthony's wonderful boxfile layout?

Thanks,

Pete

Can someone just explain the use of the kitchen cutting board/metal rulers :blink: in front of Anthony's wonderful boxfile layout?

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Its basically a cheap "hold and fold" with slices cut out of the rulers in the places where parts obstruct, but I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to give a better response.

Tom

Oh dear - that's a rather incriminating photo of my demo table (but not me!) :blush: . I can't have been far away, as the cake and cup of tea were there!

Andy

Sorry Andy :D not sure if you wanted to be in the pic.. and yes I will post my bumblings on the J72.. thx for the springs too. Scones looked very tasty but by the time I was going to get one they had all gone!

Tom

• RMweb Gold

Scones looked very tasty but by the time I was going to get one they had all gone!

Hence the old gag...'What's the fastest cake?...Sc-gone... :lol:

Grabs coat and heads for exit...

Sorry Andy :D not sure if you wanted to be in the pic.. and yes I will post my bumblings on the J72.. thx for the springs too. Scones looked very tasty but by the time I was going to get one they had all gone!

Tom

That's OK - I'm not the most photogenic subject anyway! As for the scones, I can confirm that they were very nice!

I should add that the rather nice station building displayed on the corner of my table was by Tony Simms of this parish, and features on his 'Brafferton' blog here on RMweb.

Another highlight of the day for me was seeing a Union Mills Great Central 'D11' converted to 2mm finescale and running on the Keighley club's test track. The builder then told us he had made the loco wheels himself! :blink:

Andy

I should add that the rather nice station building displayed on the corner of my table was by Tony Simms of this parish, and features on his 'Brafferton' blog here on RMweb.

Yes I had a good look at that and am looking forward to seeing Tony's Brafferton again specially with the D49 :) Although not prototypical to my region of interest it has been one of my favourite locos along with the J39

Another highlight of the day for me was seeing a Union Mills Great Central 'D11' converted to 2mm finescale and running on the Keighley club's test track. The builder then told us he had made the loco wheels himself! :blink:

Andy

I also stood a drooled over it when no one else was round.. mind boggles at wheel building.. and now to bed after way to much excitement in one weekend!!:yahoo:

Tom

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where you can get 2FS motorised chassis such as the one next to the sentinel loco, sorry for going of slightly of topic, will have to see if I took a couple of photos!

HI 90733,

The one nearest is a scratch build affair and I believe built by Sam of the display table, not sure if he is on RMweb though.

Hth

Tom

Thank you, I know was a couple of similar styles of chassis like that in the 2mm world, so was wondering in it was a 'kit'.

HI 90733,

The one nearest is a scratch build affair and I believe built by Sam of the display table, not sure if he is on RMweb though.

Hth

Tom

As far as I know, Sam is not on RMweb, but he is a regular at the 2mm Pennine Group meetings which are held approx. monthly at the Keighley clubrooms.

The chassis is based on a design by Mike Bryant to fit the P&D Marsh N gauge Sentinel kit - there are a couple of articles in the 2mm magazine from a few years ago.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

The chassis is based on a design by Mike Bryant to fit the P&D Marsh N gauge Sentinel kit - there are a couple of articles in the 2mm magazine from a few years ago.

Andy

The first article on building a chassis was more than a few years ago. It was in the mid 80's I bought the kit and planned to have a go, but got distracted.

Don

Archived