2mm Expo

Gingerbread

The first article on building a chassis was more than a few years ago. It was in the mid 80's I bought the kit and planned to have a go, but got distracted.

Don

I was thinking of the article by Mark Fielder (probably about 10 yrs ago) updating the original article by Mike Bryant. The earlier article is also good, but most of the components are no longer available, so Mark's article is more relevant. I believe the glass filled nylon spacers that Mike produced (and which this chassis design uses) are no longer produced anyway.

Andy

A revamped design would make an obvious kit for beginners, with no quartering or coupling rods to worry about. Though I don't wish to sound in any way critical - (quite the reverse actually) - the other kits produced so far by the 2mm Scale Association and private manufacturers are more demanding - some much more so.

post-174-0-08201600-1308063001_thumb.jpg

Mayfield Street

post-174-0-35566800-1308063294_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-79521300-1308064375_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-59298900-1308064390_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-20413700-1308064400_thumb.jpg

Nice features of the stack of pallets and speed signs.

post-174-0-62684700-1308064406_thumb.jpg

Gartcraig

post-174-0-78016000-1308064827_thumb.jpg

The clubroom was pretty impressive in itself on the top floor of this building with some nice views. Must be expensive to heat in winter though!

post-174-0-90329400-1308065405_thumb.jpg

Though I don't wish to sound in any way critical - (quite the reverse actually) - the other kits produced so far by the 2mm Scale Association and private manufacturers are more demanding - some much more so.

With those little gearboxes that are available from MikroAntribe (see my Little Polish Gems thread) I think there's real potential for a number of simple designs that could use them. The limiting factor is that they can only take 1mm diameter axles, which is fine for using the Association rolling stock wheels but kinda rules out spoked loco wheels. There are also some combined gearbox/motor mouldings from MikroAntribe that could be useful from the looks of things... I feel some tinkering coming on!

Pix

• RMweb Gold

A revamped design would make an obvious kit for beginners, with no quartering or coupling rods to worry about. Though I don't wish to sound in any way critical - (quite the reverse actually) - the other kits produced so far by the 2mm Scale Association and private manufacturers are more demanding - some much more so.

I think that a simple motor bogie type kit could be of benefit to both diesel & electric modellers and also for things like Sentinels.

Etched chassis are good but the process does add complexity in that it's necessary to use proper bearings set into the frames. Perhaps simple CNC milled frames from a thicker sheet might be simpler to assemble and stronger in use.

Mark

Archived