very impressive

mast very good

not quite the right type of REB (too big) but I like it

where did you get it from?

Presume by REB, you mean the building?

Scratch built.

Mick

• Like 1

This link shows a solid mast with a larger REB very similar to that on Blackmill. I've had to post the Google image because if you click through to the site the image is cropped to the point of uselessness. It also appears to be on a very unusual foundation!

Like other mobile phone masts they are likely to come in a range of types and sizes depending on the needs of a particular site.

• RMweb Premium

Like other mobile phone masts they are likely to come in a range of types and sizes depending on the needs of a particular site.

Pic of one of my local GSRM installations. I did observe to the builder of the model that the building was a bit large, but it was one that he already had in stock!

Most of the installations near me are of this type with the steelwork base.

post-408-0-34291200-1308092429_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This link shows a solid mast with a larger REB very similar to that on Blackmill.

Indeed, the size will very much depend on how much hardware (comms gear, battery backup etc.) they're housing in there. Whilst I've no direct experience of GSM-R I've specified all sorts of different enclosure sizes for normal GSM/3G etc., there are a variety of manufacturers with standard sizes.

• RMweb Premium

this one on the site of the former sinclairtown goods yard in kirkcaldy - a similar mast, but smaller boxes and fenced in. couldn't get any closer, but i've left the image big, so click for bigger version.

notice the 'old fashioned' equivalent on the left (the light brown one) - there are several of these telegraph poles here, albeit without wires!

post-1060-0-74121100-1308148929_thumb.jpg

This link shows a solid mast with a larger REB very similar to that on Blackmill. I've had to post the Google image because if you click through to the site the image is cropped to the point of uselessness. It also appears to be on a very unusual foundation!

the masts vary due to planning rules but the REB is the same for a GSMR site, see my pictures

the other REBs (also made by Elliot) are for the FTN (fixed telecom network) and do vary in size depending on how much equipment needs to be housed

• RMweb Premium

I assume the standard mast still tends to be 14.9m as this is just under the 15m limit where planning permission gets more complicated.

EDIT: if you fancy knocking up a GSM-R network as a hobby ;-) this is a pretty good guide:-

http://www.uic.org/spip.php?article436

..and a general overview:-

http://www.uic.org/spip.php?rubrique873

• Like 1

this one on the site of the former sinclairtown goods yard in kirkcaldy - a similar mast, but smaller boxes and fenced in. couldn't get any closer, but i've left the image big, so click for bigger version.

notice the 'old fashioned' equivalent on the left (the light brown one) - there are several of these telegraph poles here, albeit without wires!

post-1060-0-74121100-1308148929_thumb.jpg

I'm not 100% sure that is Network Rail kit

• RMweb Premium

I'm not 100% sure that is Network Rail kit

I agree, it looks like a 'normal' 2G/3G site, three pairs of antennas, what looks like one Vodafone(Ericsson) and one O2 or Orange (Nokia/NSN) base station at the foot of the mast.

Edit, checking on the public domain database:-

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

That says Vodafone only, but I'm not convinced that's up to date - last I heard the operators weren't providing updated

info. for the database.

post-107-0-64902500-1308213856_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

sorry about that!

i remember seeing it in one of my photos and where it is is very near to railway line (line passes just behind the mast).

i looked up the site linked to, the results are shown below. the yellow cross is roughly where it actually is.

post-1060-0-88307600-1308233491_thumb.jpg

EDIT: the second one is UMTS

(incidentally, spamcan's picture is of kirkcaldy station - sinclairtown station was a bit further north, but closed in 1969)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

sorry about that!

i remember seeing it in one of my photos and where it is is very near to railway line (line passes just behind the mast).

i looked up the site linked to, the results are shown below. the yellow cross is roughly where it actually is.

post-1060-0-88307600-1308233491_thumb.jpg

EDIT: the second one is UMTS

(incidentally, spamcan's picture is of kirkcaldy station - sinclairtown station was a bit further north, but closed in 1969)

No worries, I'm something of a base station spotter. B) Apologies for getting the wrong station, I couldn't get near enough on Streetview to double check and it'd be a flippin long drive from Christchurch to check. :D

I'm wondering if they're going to add the GSM-R sites on to sitefinder, after all it includes TETRA so I would expect GSM-R to be included at some point.

the masts vary due to planning rules but the REB is the same for a GSMR site, see my pictures

the other REBs (also made by Elliot) are for the FTN (fixed telecom network) and do vary in size depending on how much equipment needs to be housed

Network Rail do not need planning permission for the GSMR masts so the extend of designs will be very limited compared to mobile phone masts and most likely just variations in height - this is the legislation that NR benefit from.

• Like 1

Network Rail do not need planning permission for the GSMR masts so the extend of designs will be very limited compared to mobile phone masts and most likely just variations in height - this is the legislation that NR benefit from.

they do still have to work to planning rules, they can't just plonk a mast any where they like

they have changed from taller masts to 15m masts though to appease the locals, meaning there are now more of them needed to get the coverage required

they do still have to work to planning rules, they can't just plonk a mast any where they like

they have changed from taller masts to 15m masts though to appease the locals, meaning there are now more of them needed to get the coverage required

Thats more simply being a good neighbour - the legislation is as I pointed out and if they were so minded they could plonk a 50m mast straight outside someones back door and no one could do anything about it.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Does anyone produce a kit for these masts (or any mobile phone masts for that matter)? I seem to remember seeing a plastic kit for sale at an exhibition a number of years ago (probably five or six), but I can't remember the manufacturer and I don't recall ever having seen a kit for a mobile phone mast since. I would therefore be grateful if someone can reasure me that I wasn't imagining that I saw something that I didn't.

Regards

David