GWR K38

• RMweb Premium

Inspire by the work of several other members on here I have been trying to learn how to use sketchup so that once I have some money coming back in I might be able to end up with some more unusual vehicles. Possibly I should have started with something simpler but hey, in for a penny in for a pound, I went for a Collett Bow ended K38 full brake.

So far I have worked out how not to do several things and how to do others laugh1.gif

Below is my second attempt. This has now been superseded by a 3rd version but so far I have only completed a single side.

post-163-0-54937000-1307984518_thumb.jpg

Looking good there Kris and Simon! I'm trying to get use to Sketchup at the moment, personally I'm much happier with Alibre Design.

Kris are you designing the chassis to or are you planning on using something already available?

• RMweb Premium

Kris are you designing the chassis to or are you planning on using something already available?

Thanks for the kind comments.

As to the chassis, this will be designed as well, it should be quite straight forward, well that's what I hope! What I'm not going to design are the bogies. I have access to these from the 2mm association. I know that these work very well, and they have the advantage that being nickel silver they are going to be stronger than a similar printed version.

• RMweb Premium

Looks good. I've played with stetchup but couldn't get on with drawing curves backing onto another curved face - like where the end and roof meet.

The 08 looks good.

The curves are a pain and took me several attempts to work it out. It required me pushing the basic shapes through each other then intersect the faces. This allowed me to the remove the excess. Didn't always work but with a little bit of poking about I was able to get the required shape.

Archived