Yard Shunter

RAY NORWOOD

Hi

I was inspired by Mudmagnet's Orchard Road layout as I was helping him out at Exeter M.R.Show in June 4th/5th 2011.

I am thinking of making a shunting layout of two boards at 4ftx2ft (8ftx2ft) with plywood on a frame of 2inx1in and the legs will fold up underneath and will be put together as one module to go into a family car. The underlay will be laminate floor foam underlay 3mm thick, and I will be useing C+L point work and track on wooden sleepers, which I was inspired by Darren1 with imperil potteries. The control will be DCC by NCE Power Cab,I already have on my layout in the loft.

The idea I have with this layout is a freight train come's on scene and a diesel shunter will take the train off of the locomotive which will go of scene light engine, so the shunting begins, shunting the loaded wagons and making a train of emptys, a freight train comes in again and the shunter takes the train of the loco and the loco goes onto the emptys and takes them away,then more shunting.

• Like 4

A few thoughts;

1, why the short kick back siding off the cattle pen road?

2, if you put a crossover in the two roads below the goods shed you could have the train engine doing its own shunting, a more economical (to the prototype railways) way of working the yard.

3, is the cassette road the (notional) running line? I would, myself, have used the line marked headshunt as the running line.

A few thoughts;

1, why the short kick back siding off the cattle pen road?

2, if you put a crossover in the two roads below the goods shed you could have the train engine doing its own shunting, a more economical (to the prototype railways) way of working the yard.

3, is the cassette road the (notional) running line? I would, myself, have used the line marked headshunt as the running line.

Hi Flyingsignalman

(1) The short kick back siding is for the yard shunter to stand.

(2) I thought it would be different in not haveing a run round that gives the shunter to release the loco that brought the train in other dutys

(3) the cassette is the running road and having the head shunt would make more of an interest and also it could add more movement..

I know it is not prototype but it gives more of an interest and it is different.

Thank you for your thoughts

RAY70B

Hi

I have just brought myself a Bachmann class 08 in early BR in green with out the tiger stripes at both ends.

The BR badge on the side is the wrong one it should be the early one and in the wrong place, that should be on the bonnet side.

RAY70B

The BR badge on the side is the wrong one it should be the early one and in the wrong place, that should be on the bonnet side.

Apart from that, is it OK?

Looking at the track plan, have you considered:

1 - Separate the cassette and head shunt lines (a left-hand point instead of a right-hand one would do it) and move the scenic break to bring the headshunt out into the open. Much better than the shunts forever having to go 'offstage' and it avoids two feet of blank fiddle yard screen. That also gives somewhere for the yard shunter to stand.

2 - A crossover, like Flyingsignalman suggests, then you could do a bit of fancy pointwork (or re-jig the existing) and extend what you planned as your loco spur to a private siding.

• Like 2

Hi Poor old Bruce

I will think about your idea, I also think you are right in putting the head shunt in the scenic side. In thinking more of the run round yes I am getting around that, it will make sense in running around the wagons for the private siding.

RAY70B

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ray,

Good to see that you are progressing with the layout. I would agree with some of the comments above. I would certainly look at incorporating the headshunt into the scenic side of the layout, although does make it more awkward to operate from the front as you need to reach over to get to the cassette. However, with a small(ish) layout sometimes maximising the viewing area is a good thing, providing this does not comprimise the scenic break too much. One idea with this would be to have a very skew bridge (yes would need to be scratchbuilt unless using Wills girders), or you could have building along the headshunt, the hidden sidings disappearing behind.

Looks good though and will make an interesting model and will be fun to operate - glad to see that Orchard Road has inspired you!

HI Update

I've been thinking about some of your comments. I have drawn up a new plan.

I have gone with the head shunt in the scenice area, and put in a crossover, and instead of the little spur I have extended it.

I have also made up a rough plan of the new layout of C+L track templatesjust to see the area of the point work, and the lenght is 3ft (see photo below).

post-3746-0-76505000-1308156735_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-93530100-1308156763_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've found it! The plans look great now that you are extending the usable area. Good luck with Yarde Shunter.

Chris

Hi Chris

You are in front of me I have not had time to post it on the thread as yet. Which I have just done it.

Thanks for your comment.

RAY70B

Had you considered the making the first turnout that feeds into the single slip a left hand three way / tandem turnout?

Gordon A

Bristol

Hi Gorden

That's a good idea did not think of that, It would bring the point work more compact, then again it would briing everything to close together putting all the interest in one place.

RAY70B

Hi Gorden

That's a good idea did not think of that, It would bring the point work more compact, then again it would briing everything to close together putting all the interest in one place.

RAY70B

Hi

I have a long and hard thought of the three way point and decided to go with out it. Thank you for suggestion.

RAY70B

Hi

I have found time to start on the frame work of the base board's last night, I had the wood in the garage but I have got to get the 12mm plywood and the wood for the legs. Hopefully at the weekend.

RAY70B

HI Ray Granddad.

Glad to see the bug has got you on this new layout, going to be fun running it.

I think shunting layout are a lot of fun to play with and you can spend a lot of time going into a lot of detail in the scene .

Also building your own track is so much better as you can shape it to how you want, giving nice flowing track work?

Keep us posted on how you are getting on; hope to get back to my one once all the wiring is finished on the other layout.

All the best

Darren

I have a small update, I have brought some more wood for the legs of the base boards ( price of wood now has gone up a lot) and they will be bolted to the frame so they can fold up under the boards. So when I get time I will be making the legs up.

RAY70B

Hi All

UPDATE.

I have at last made the base boards I have got to get the 12mm plywood to go on top and they are done.

The two frame's I already had in my garage they are 4ft x 2ft x 1.3/4in deep to enable to fit the leg onto the frame's I reduced the width by 24mm to take 12mm plywood each side to increase the depth to 3.1/2in's to bolt the legs onto the plywood so the legs can fold up into the base boards. To lock the leg into place when the boards are up I have put a bar hinged in the middle and at both ends and put one end on the cross member of the leg and the other end onto the middle cross member of the base board. The two boards are bolted to gether with brass dowals for alinement.

The 12mm plywood will be glued and screwed to the frame's

post-3746-0-59508200-1309630874_thumb.jpg

A view from one end

post-3746-0-32143300-1309630897_thumb.jpg

side view showing the length

post-3746-0-62581600-1309630916_thumb.jpg

showing the leg supports

post-3746-0-32255100-1309630950_thumb.jpg

view of the leg support on other board

I'm glad I've made a start, Still finished the BATHROOM

RAY70B

• Like 3