Yard Shunter

RAY NORWOOD

Thank you to all who commented on this thread. I tryed to explane the Raspberry pi at the best as I could, yes I know it is all mind bogling. Thanks to all your comments.

I wish to thank all the Stafford members for putting on a fantastic show and for your hospitality for the weekend and especially the Saturday night at the Redhill bar.

Edited by RAY NORWOOD
  • Like 1

I tryed to explane the Raspberry pi at the best as I could, yes I know it is all mind bogling. 

OG and Ray.jpg

Hope you both had a good trip back last night.

Watching Ray explain a Raspberry Pi, JMRI and the app to Old Gringo, who is one of Alexander Graham Bell's most reluctant converts, was a highlight for me.

"Mr. Watson, come here. I want to see you."

• Like 4

attachicon.gifOG and Ray.jpg

Hope you both had a good trip back last night.

Watching Ray explain a Raspberry Pi, JMRI and the app to Old Gringo, who is one of Alexander Graham Bell's most reluctant converts, was a highlight for me.

"Mr. Watson, come here. I want to see you."

Thanks you Andy. I was like that at first but I did my research on YouTube and forums.

We had a good trip home, we got on the road at 16.45, only hold up was M6 to M5 we got home about 20.45 did all the journey without a stop for tea break.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks you Andy. I was like that at first but I did my research on YouTube and forums.

We had a good trip home, we got on the road at 16.45, only hold up was M6 to M5 we got home about 20.45 did all the journey without a stop for tea break.

I also got in a doze as Ray was driving.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard, Ray.

Many thanks for the chat re the raspberry Pi at Stafford. Just thought I'd let you know my Pi 3 B arrived this week, I already had a Sprog II and within and hour or so I had wireless DCC system setup running on a test track controlled from the iPad/phone. Most of the time was taken up waiting for the raspbian update to download and install. I managed to get the Pi set up to act as a wireless access point as well so no need for a separate wireless router or PC/laptop. I'm using VNC on the iPad if I need to go into the Pi or JMRI.

Next job is to connect my Megapoints controller with DCC I/f and get servo control of points and semaphore signals once I've got to grips with PanelPro.

Ray.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ray

I am very pleased with my Raspberry pi in way it worked at Stafford. When we got home on Sunday I had my mind on having ago on the LCD Touchscreen that was not as easy as I thought, the Pi kept freezing when installing the drivers, so I have been searching on the Web and you tube for answers I found a a forum run by a guy called Peter Scargill and does a load of different thing, he did a bit on a LCD Touchscreen. So I tryed his idea, I had to go into the config.txt and put a bottle ten commands, that worked but the calibration is all wrong he was not clear on what to do with the calibration. Still trying to sort this out.I want to you's the touchscreen so I don't have to take my laptop.

I'm glade you got your pi working OK and got the ipad working with it. I used XRDP for connection to the laptop but VNC for my tablet. Yes the install of the raspbian takes a long time and also the upgrade.

I take it you now a bit about computer programming.

Hi Ray

I am very pleased with my Raspberry pi in way it worked at Stafford. When we got home on Sunday I had my mind on having ago on the LCD Touchscreen that was not as easy as I thought, the Pi kept freezing when installing the drivers, so I have been searching on the Web and you tube for answers I found a a forum run by a guy called Peter Scargill and does a load of different thing, he did a bit on a LCD Touchscreen. So I tryed his idea, I had to go into the config.txt and put a bottle ten commands, that worked but the calibration is all wrong he was not clear on what to do with the calibration. Still trying to sort this out.I want to you's the touchscreen so I don't have to take my laptop.

I'm glade you got your pi working OK and got the ipad working with it. I used XRDP for connection to the laptop but VNC for my tablet. Yes the install of the raspbian takes a long time and also the upgrade.

I take it you now a bit about computer programming.

Hi Ray,

When I bought the Pi I was going to order a touchscreen as well, but then thought I'd get the Pi working first and add the screen later. Now I can access the Pi desktop with VNC on the iPad I don't think I'll bother with the touchscreen after all. I might replace the Sprog II with a Sprog Pi so the Sprog II can go back on my dedicated programming track. I've now got the DCC I/F for the Megapoints servo controller working and added a relay driver board and now getting to grips with PanelPro. I can now set complete routes from wi-throttle as well as controlling sound locos with all the functions relabelled to meaningful names.

I did a bit of programming when I was working, mostly with Windows visual studio in the latter years but tried to avoid UNIX and Linux systems. I didn't like all that command line stuff but just about remembered enough to get the Pi up and running without too much trouble.

Just need to build a proper layout now to put it all on.

Ray.

Hi Ray

Did get keyboard come up on your ipad. As I am not getting the keyboard on my tablet.

Hi Ray.

Yes, with VNC on the iPad there's a transparent bar at the top of the screen with a keyboard symbol. Tapping this brings up the keyboard, tapping again puts it to bed.

Ray.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ray.

Yes, with VNC on the iPad there's a transparent bar at the top of the screen with a keyboard symbol. Tapping this brings up the keyboard, tapping again puts it to bed.

Ray.

Hi Ray

Did you download and install the keyboard onto the PI.

Ray

After being at Stafford the other weekend I had ago on a 5 inch touch screen with no successes, when installing the drivers the raspberry pi kept crashing, after weeks of trying to sort this out I decided to send this 5 inch screen back and got myself a raspberry pi 7 inch touch screen. it was suppose to be plug and play but when booting up the raspberry pi the screen was upside down, so I went on Google search just what I was doing with the other screen but this time I found a code to put in on config.txt. what I had done was to go into. (sudo nano /boot/config.txt) then put in (lcd_rotate=2) then reboot, and the screen came on the right way up. all is working good know.    I keep it all in a plastic box including the power cab controller.

post-3746-0-07734000-1489951581_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-22598600-1489951608_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-77837400-1489951639_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-87398900-1489951667_thumb.jpg

All I do is plug in the raspberry pi power into the USB plug and plug in the cable from the USB interface into the NCE Panel and the power for the NCE and the points. so it makes setting up  and setting down very quick.  

I intend to use this on my new layout Feltham Road MPD as well.         

Edited by RAY NORWOOD
  • Like 2

Hi Ray

Did you download and install the keyboard onto the PI.

Ray

Hi Ray.

No, the keyboard on the iPad comes up from within the VNC app.

Like your 7" screen, i almost bought one until i found the iPad worked ok. But having seen yours now i might just get one anyway, makes a nice self contained system.

Do you have a separate USB keyboard/mouse connected as well?

Ray.

Hi Ray

I got a separate keyboard. It has a mouse pad and it is remote using a small dongle in the Raspberr Pi usb port. I got it from amazon the item is RIP KOIXI 2.4 GHZMINI Wireless keyboard with mouse touch pad remote control KODI XMBC remote. Cost me £9.39

Edited by RAY NORWOOD

• 1 month later...

Had a good weekend at Helston Cornwall. Aĺl went well. But a small problem with the Raspberry pi it kept freezing when booting up but when I got to work it was as good as good.something to sort out when I get home in Wednesday.

Had a good weekend at Helston Cornwall. Aĺl went well. But a small problem with the Raspberry pi it kept freezing when booting up but when I got to work it was as good as good.something to sort out when I get home in Wednesday.

Hi Ray

Glad you had a good weekend.....Great to catch up with you again.....

Hopefully see you at Hayle as a punter in August.....

Cheers Bill

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...