abandoned Tube stations.

Leicester Thumper

• RMweb Premium

I don't suppose anyone has managed to model anything 'underground' related.  I'd love to see if this is the case !

SRman of this parish features his Newton Broadway layout on this site for one

For anothere there is the modular Chocolate Pudding Lane with working EFE tube trains, sounds and lighting plus (static) escalators to the surface buildings and main line

• RMweb Premium

Toronto, Canada, has 2 unused underground stations. The article mentions Lower Bay which is a relic of the original interlining when the Bloor Danforth line was built. (1966) There was a triangular operation using the two new termini and one of the original line's. The junction wye used a pair of 2-level stations on the BD line. The lines were operated as integrated for 6 months, then separately for 6 months, which has now become 48 years. St George station became the terminus for the Yonge line trains and an interchange with the BD line. Lower Bay was blocked off but used for stock transfer and occasional film work. The Yonge line was later extended through St George and northward. The wye is in the running for "most expensive piece of track per passenger served".

There is also a roughed-in but never used station under Queen (at Yonge). This was built in the 40s/early 50s with the Yonge subway when it was thought that the Queen streetcar would be put underground. It's still proposed sometimes. The platforms are used as an underpass between north and southbound platforms, and for storage. I've seen the tunnel when the access doors have been open.

• 5 years later...
On 17/06/2011 at 08:04, Oldddudders said:

LT (that's Leicester Thumper, not London Transport!) - have you considered the nearly-stations, e.g. the 1935 Northern Heights stations, which never actually got built? People have written whole books about Brockley Hill, Elstree South and Bushey Heath, not to mention the half-built depot, which served instead to build bombers in the Hitler war, and after the Hun was put back in his box, then became the maintenance and overhaul centre for the entire LT (not Leicester Thumper this time!) bus fleet.

There is an annual  guided walk ( very interesting) led by Jim Blake, author of a  book about the  unfinished Northern Line extension,  the walk has  been running  for probably 30 years, it runs in July and is so popular pre- booking  is required for participants.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The abandoned stations site is one of my faves but remember it also covers a lot of surface lines (and not just LT).

Another one is https://underground-history.co.uk/

A lost line i remember off-hand was the LNER Ilford-Newbury Park.

I first read about it in a John Glover photo book, 'Electric trains in Britain' (or similar) where it had a pic looking from NP station and showing, what was then, the engineers' siding in between the Central line tracks/tunnels. The caption stated this was the remains of the branch line to Ilford. 

For some reason i was really intrigued by this - of course, thanks to the internet, information is a lot more available.

http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/Newbury_Park.html

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pandora said:

There is an annual  guided walk ( very interesting) led by Jim Blake, author of a  book about the  unfinished Northern Line extension,  the walk has  been running  for probably 30 years, it runs in July and is so popular pre- booking  is required for participants.

I went on that walk around 25 years ago on a very hot and sunny day. We surprised a couple of young ladies on the wooded stretch just south of Highgate. They had decided to get an all-over tan and had obviously not expected a couple of dozen railway buffs to come strolling past. The group backed up and allowed them a few minutes to recover their dignity before proceeding. :D

• Funny 4

On a similar theme, when I was on nights we (2 of us) had a job at Mornington Crescent one summer's night. It didn't take long, so we walked back to the van for a sit down (aka sleep) before heading back to the office (we didn't want to be given another job...).

P was in the driver's seat, next to the path. We were both dozing, but became aware  of some noise outside; P nudged me and said "LOOK AT THESE TWO!". We had parked next to Harrington Square, a small park, locked at night. Two VERY scantily dressed young ladies were scrambling over the fence. When one turned round and saw us, they went over very quickly. Anyway, a bit later they re-appeared, complete with a fella, a bit further along. This time they were starkers....all 3 of them...!

Stewart

• Like 1

A near-unique feature of the PO tube was that trains were controlled by varying the traction supply voltage, just like a model railway, rather than the motor-control being on the cars.

Track sections were fed a variable voltage from the substations, through an impressively analogue contractor/resistor system, the whole being linked to the ‘signalling’, which wasn’t quite the same thing as on a conventional railway.

Much more like the control of production lines in a factory than a typical railway.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The PO railway, later branded as Mail Rail, was a unique and fascination operation with many unique quirks including its traction current / train control arrangements.  I was lucky enough to see it in full operation on two occasions once at Liverpool Street and once at Paddington, in addition to the Mount Pleasant open day shortly before it closed.  Signalling seemed to be an art form and with the regular operators working instinctively much as Borough Market Junction box would have done. Very slick loading and unloading was also a feature.  

• Like 1

On 11/10/2014 at 22:11, SteamLover said:

I don't suppose anyone has managed to model anything 'underground' related.  I'd love to see if this is the case !

Yes, there was a good topic here on Bachmann's special edition LT Underground train. Sadly sold out at the LT shop online, now occasionally sold on ebay for Very Silly Money.

On 12/03/2020 at 18:29, Pandora said:

The unfinished Northern line

How many?

Rather depends upon how you count, because there are significant bits of stations abandoned, or at least no longer in public use, at several of the large central London stations, being remnants of pre-integrated stations. 

Euston, for instance has several, although I think some will be swept away as HS2 is built.

Whether these ‘bits’ count is a an arbitrary matter.