Some of my CAD projects

That van is really nice. Have you cleaned the surfaces up any or is that as it cam with a coat of primer thrown on?

I have remained sceptical for some time but I'm convinced this is worth pursuing now. Given that I use 3D CAD as my day job and therefore have all the tools could I ask a few specifics, if you don't mind.

1. How thick does the rib have to be that forms the beading/panelling on the van for that depth of feature?

2. What dimensions (width and depth) have you found you can use reliably for the plank gaps on the brick wagon?

3. How big (diameter and height) do you draw a rivet?

Thanks,

Richard.

Richard,

I'm glad that the pictures have help sway you towards 3D printing! The pigeon van had been primed at this point with a very light rub down with some fine emery paper. The beading is 0.2mm thickness and 0.2mm in depth, the recesses on the wagon are 0.1mm in height and 0.2 deep. Rivets vary in size with the smallest being 0.1mm diameter and the largest 0.2mm diameter, again depth varies between 0.1 and 0.25mm.

All the above models are 2.06mm to the foot.

Mr Goddard, the roofs are integrally printed with the bodies as it is my intention to cast these and I'm not confident that the cantrail will successfully cast if the roof was a separate fitting.

Hope this helps guys.

Thanks for the info on the cantrail Atco. I was thinking in terms of 4mm scale roofs. Experimental Midland clerestory roofs have already been produced in 'milkybar' as well as aluminium pressings. I'm always on the lookout for new ideas when it comes to carriages, although most never get beyond the initial stages for a variety of commercial reasons.

Hi Coach,

Not a problem, please feel free to PM me if you have anything you'd like help with. :no: Also unfortunate about finding that second 51ft 4 compartment brake the other day, still I'm sure you could find a good use for it!

• 2 weeks later...

"Simon, thanks for the positive feedback. Unfortunately due to the Pigeon Van's availability in 4mm (Chivers Finelines and Isinglass) I won't be making this one available in the larger scale - doesn't mean I won't be considering 4mm in the future though!"

But 4mm isn't the only larger scale! I'm a British H0 modeller and I'm sure there will some members of the 1:87 Society interested in an H0 version of the pigeon van. Given how easy it is to redo drawings for Shapeways in different scales this may be a tremendous source of models for those of us who work in different scales.

At the moment for example, we are working on two GNSR externally framed vans and intend making them available on Shapeways in H0, 00 and 0 through the GNSRA. eg: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/blackswan We are just getting samples of the first van to check which is the most appropriate material to suggest. If other model builders made their models available in multiple scales it would be great!

"Simon, thanks for the positive feedback. Unfortunately due to the Pigeon Van's availability in 4mm (Chivers Finelines and Isinglass) I won't be making this one available in the larger scale - doesn't mean I won't be considering 4mm in the future though!"

But 4mm isn't the only larger scale! I'm a British H0 modeller and I'm sure there will some members of the 1:87 Society interested in an H0 version of the pigeon van. Given how easy it is to redo drawings for Shapeways in different scales this may be a tremendous source of models for those of us who work in different scales.

At the moment for example, we are working on two GNSR externally framed vans and intend making them available on Shapeways in H0, 00 and 0 through the GNSRA. eg: http://www.shapeways...shops/blackswan We are just getting samples of the first van to check which is the most appropriate material to suggest. If other model builders made their models available in multiple scales it would be great!

This is a very good point, I've been asked to do a number of my tram models in HO for some German modellers who like the idea of British trams in 3.5mm to match their continental counterparts.

At the moment for example, we are working on two GNSR externally framed vans and intend making them available on Shapeways in H0, 00 and 0 through the GNSRA. eg: http://www.shapeways...shops/blackswan We are just getting samples of the first van to check which is the most appropriate material to suggest. If other model builders made their models available in multiple scales it would be great!

Hi thanks for your interest. Unfortunately my models are designed as casting masters and therefore unsuitable for scaling at this time as you described. However I'm sure that others will be happy to offer this.

How do you mean unsuitable? (serious question) If you have a CAD 3D drawing of it which Shapeways has made a model of for you in one scale which is of sufficient quality to use as a master for whatever, it should (and I speak in ignorance here based solely on what we have been doing ourselves) be able to be redone in a different scale. Or have you missed off some detail to be added by yourself afterwards to finish the master?

Hi 1ngram,

You are correct in assuming that there are additional non 3D printed components to the kit which would make it unsuitable for scaling. In addition the w irons and axle boxes are designed to accept 15.2mm n gauge axles (after much experimentation to get it right). Finally while current 3D printing is very good I don't feel the finish is acceptable enough to allow my designs to be sent as 3D prints directly to the customer.

Please note that I am not adverse to this, others have successfully sold prints via Shapeways and other 'bulk' 3D printing firms however, it does not fulfill my own expectations at this time.

Thanks for your interest though.

How do you mean unsuitable? (serious question) If you have a CAD 3D drawing of it which Shapeways has made a model of for you in one scale which is of sufficient quality to use as a master for whatever, it should (and I speak in ignorance here based solely on what we have been doing ourselves) be able to be redone in a different scale. Or have you missed off some detail to be added by yourself afterwards to finish the master?

Not necessarily. The smaller the scale you work in the more likely you are to have to adjust your model to take into account the minimum wall and detail thicknesses. Scaling up from 2mm may leave a 4mm model thicker, and therefore more expensive, than it needs to be. Scaling down from 4mm risks the loss of detail.

Archived