Garage Layout

Michael Shillabeer

Hello

I've been thinking about the 2011 Challenge for a while now and have come to a decision.

I've modelled in N Gauge since 1977, so initial thought was more of the same.

However, a visit to the Frome Model Centre on Saturday changed my mind - I saw T Gauge for the first time.

Mapping out 20 inches x 11 inches on my desk at work with Post It Notes got me thinking of making a model of a model.

Initial thought was to use G Scale as the main scale and T Gauge as the model i.e. a model railway at an exhibition with G Scale people crowding around it.

G Scale didn't seem big enough though...

Finally, it came to me while driving home - 1:12th scale. T Gauge equates to a scale 36mm track gauge, which is close enough to O Gauge for me.

My entry is going to be a model railway inside a garage.

Track around the edge of the garage. Station one side. Fiddle yard on the other. Maybe a viaduct at one end.

1:12th scale has the advantage of being the scale used by dolls house builders, so there are many items available for garage junk!

I've moving house soon, so the major construction will have to wait a few weeks, but in the meantime purchasing can begin :-)

Best regards

Michael

The "builder" of the layout is also a live steam enthusiast. He's building a 4.2inch gauge loco (9mm track gauge).

I've ordered a plastic kit from Japan for a 1:12th scale milling machine to sit in the middle of the garage.

My first pieces of T Gauge have arrived too - gosh they're small :-)

Best regards

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still packing to move house, so no construction done.

However, I have been clearing stuff out on eBay which is financing new purchases :)

I won a box of T Gauge including controller, oval of track, 4 coach EMU, buildings, trees and people. I'm planning to build my own controller, so the T Gauge controller will go back onto eBay along with the Japanese outline buildings.

The 1:12th scale milling machine kit has also arrived. I'll start building it during lunch breaks at work.

I've been looking at 1:12th scale dolls house stuff and am disappointed by it. Its very crude compared with other scales. A lawn mower is a couple of wooden blocks, bent wire and press-studs for wheels! Looks like I'll be doing more scratch-building :)

Best regards

Michael

• 1 month later...

The house move went smoothly, but my office/workshop ended up as a store for stuff that wouldn't fit elsewhere!

Construction of the diorama has yet to start.

In the meantime I won another T Gauge EMU on eBay and a ready painted pillar drill that looks right for 1:12th

Unpacking after the move I've found a couple of old (20+ years) kits that will be useful:

1. Parts of a David Provan Lukin lathe. Its the correct 1:12th scale. Its a model of an 1894 treadle lathe. I hope to modify it to look a bit more modern, once I find the lathe bed.

2. A Scaledown Models 1:15th Scale Lister stationary engine. Why you may ask? Because my Dad restored a couple when I was young and to me a garage is not complete with out one! He also restored an Isetta bubble car, but the diorama isn't big enough for the one I've found... unless I dispense with the milling machine.

best regards

Michael

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry to hear that you didn't manage to finish your project I had been looking forward to seeing this idea become reality.

I was sad to hear this idea had not been progressed. I thought it was a really great idea and there was plenty of scope to do something interesting and different.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to disappoint by not progressing this idea :-(

I've got a fair number of parts for this project and hopefully a couple of evenings free each week to split between railways and building a 3D printer.

11" was going to be tight for the minimum recommended curves for a double track layout in T, so being too late for the competetion means I don't have to conform to 11"x20" :-)

I'll have to do some sketches and work out a suitable size.

• 11 months later...

A year late I have constructed the O Gauge layout in a 1:12th scale workshop...

and its won Hornby Magazine's 3 Foot Challenge!!!!! See page 16 of the November edition

The criteria was to build a 3 square foot diorama in any scale.

Tigo is 27" x 16" = 432 square inches = 3 square feet.

Tigo = T into Gauge O

Michael

post-12326-0-13239400-1349954376.jpg

Brilliant! I love original thinking like this. I bet you're always on the lookout for 1:12 accessories.

"Mapping out 20 inches x 11 inches on my desk at work with Post It Notes got me thinking of making a model of a model."

I'm not the only one who gets distracted at work then? :)

Cheers,

Will

Yes it does run - the 4 tracks in the fiddle yard are all isolating. I'm currently building the controllers.

The scenic section will be developed. The left hand end will feature a viaduct. A station along the back. The land rising to the right with a castle in the far right corner.

I'm always looking for 1:12 stuff... under the layout you can see parts from a Tamiya Mini (engine, wheels, seats, dashboard, front grill, brakes), a Matchbox Harley (engine in frame), a wheel from an Airfix Vintage Bentley (all that remains of my 10th birthday present...), Richard I's helmet from an Airfix kit.

I've yet to build a 38 year old Tamiya racing car tool set (socket set, hand drill, axle stands, welding bottles) and an etched tool chest of drawers I got from Hong Kong.

It doesn't all have to be 1:12th, the pillar drill is 1:35 and I've got a 1:35 scale lathe to build that looks about the right size for a 1:12th model engineer.

Some N Gauge cars will also feature as 1:12th scale models along with scale model of the Tamiya Mini kit box.

It might be small, but there's loads of stuff still to do!

Archived