This forum area will be available for the first couple of weeks for members to make test posts to explore functionality.

OPERA makes life easier....

coachmann

? I used OPERA when RMweb4 was in its infancy and this program helped us see the images. When everything was sorted I removed it.? 

However, I have downloaded it again this afternoon because of two facilities that make life on RMweb much easier. Members will have noticed they cannot rearrange sentences when posting replies by cutting and pasting, nor have they a spell-check facility unless postings are first typed up in Word then transferred to RMweb.

OPERA facilitates all these automatically(cut, paste, spell-check) so long as one opens up RMweb via Opera bookmarks or favorites instead of the usual front page. As you may have noticed, it gives USA spellings but I'm working on that!

It also works RMweb faster for some reason, like back peddling pages.

Hope this assists.

Larry G.

I couldn't agree more Coachmann, there appears to still be layout issues with IE6+7 (works computers so can't do much about them) but since I tried OPERA I've not gone back at all. From the sites I've visited I only have 2 problems, windows maps website doesn't work and going straight to paypal from ebay to pay for a purchase never works, but easy to get a round that.

I've been using Opera for about 8 years now as the earlier versions were excellent on dial up as they cached pages so well that the Back button gave an almost instant page, without reloading. It was also much less cpu hungry than IE at the time and offered tabbed browsing before it was even a glint in Bill Gates' eye.

Since then I've only ever gone back to IE for the odd page that didn't display correctly in Opera and of course, at work where we're MS only. The Paypal issue seems to have occurred from a recent upgrade as this was working for me 6 months or so ago, so perhaps they'll be a fix for this shortly.

I used OPERA when RMweb4 was in its infancy and this program helped us see the images. When everything was sorted I removed it.

However, I have downloaded it again this afternoon because of two facilities that make life on RMweb much easier. Members will have noticed they cannot rearrange sentences when posting replies by cutting and pasting, nor have they a spell-check facility unless postings are first typed up in Word then transferred to RMweb.

OPERA facilitates all these automatically(cut, paste, spell-check) so long as one opens up RMweb via Opera bookmarks or favorites instead of the usual front page. As you may have noticed, it gives USA spellings but I'm working on that!

Hope this assists.

Larry G.

And the mighty Firefox appears to be working nicely too.

Other browsers are available, your mileage may vary! :)

I used OPERA when RMweb4 was in its infancy and this program helped us see the images. When everything was sorted I removed it.

Hope this assists.

Larry G.

It also works the same in Firefox, full editing, and pasting, and spell check, the spell check missing in IE is a Microsoft issue, as it uses MS Office to do it, and if you have not got office, then you are stuck without spell check, although there are independent based work arounds to provide it with IE.

Firefox has a UK based spell checker as well, (optional), and gives a "what you see is what you get" editor, which Google Chrome fails to do.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

It also works the same in Firefox, full editing, and pasting, and spell check, the spell check missing in IE is a Microsoft issue, as it uses MS Office to do it, and if you have not got office, then you are stuck without spell check, although there are independent based work arounds to provide it with IE.

Firefox has a UK based spell checker as well, (optional), and gives a "what you see is what you get" editor, which Google Chrome fails to do.

Stephen.

How do you get the microsoft spell check to work?

I have IE 8 installed, along with Vista and Office 07, yet when I have to use IE I have no spell check.

How do you get the microsoft spell check to work?

I have IE 8 installed, along with Vista and Office 07, yet when I have to use IE I have no spell check.

I don't use it now, but I will look it up, it was an option setting within IE

Stephen

Vista, Office, and IE should be all right according to Microsoft, it was an issue with IE6 , not IE8. But no office, no spell checker with all versions.

Try search for the problem on the net, lots of answers, and independent spell checkers for all versions of IE. Some answer do involve registry changes via editor, if you do not want to risk this use the add on spell checkers for IE

or change to Firefox, where it is no issue whatsoever!

Stephen.

Four irritating issues have come to light while going via Opera into RMweb.

1)Highlighting a sentence and making it a quote often doesnt work.

2) The cursor is stubborn to move. It has a life of its own moving somewhere in a sentence and not responding to the mouse to move it to commence the next sentence.

3) Text blocks overlap the pictures in Gallery.

4) Links to Youtube.....Something needs to be downloaded to make Youtube play.

Not the end of the world. Opera stlll has its uses.

LG

Archived