Mistley

Bar Side

Finally finished off the inside - somewhat of a guess, but I wanted a hopper & some detail in there:

post-220-0-51106500-1317213689_thumb.jpg

And am now working on outside detail - drain pipes, window shutters, roof edging etc:

post-220-0-04951900-1317213816_thumb.jpg

Not sure whether to mask off some areas of the concrete floor & spray on black to represent tarmac patches or whether that will damage to overall look.

• Like 2

OK, I really don't know how much more I will get done before the deadline, so this could be it. Have fixed the building to the base and added some more details & some protruding grass. Taking advantage of the sunshine & badly showing up the limitations of my modelling, here is the latest:

post-220-0-01700700-1317302135_thumb.jpg

With the 04 shunter posed (guess it should be a Colchester, Ipswich or Harwich shunter, possibly with tramway skirts) & a LNER grain wagon:

post-220-0-06081500-1317302303_thumb.jpg

And without - I have added a photo to the 'hole' in the back to give it a bit of depth:

post-220-0-98554200-1317302436_thumb.jpg

Jobs left: well, at least one drainpipe, plumbing in the 'cyclone', fence down the quay side, adding some pallets, sacks etc, 1:76 scale seagulls. etc. Might try to do a bit more pipework, but the rest is beyond 1st October, so I guess this is going to be about as good as it gets.

Thanks for watching & reading!

• Like 3

Ivan

I'm sorry to hear that any other work would go beyond the cut off date. You really have got the essence of the the quay - we were down there yesterday afternoon. I think that what it needs to finish it off is backboard scenery to the height of 11" along the two far sides ?

For those of you who don't know the area, have a look back through Ivan's thread and compare his work with what was and what is now.

Ivan, you have made a great diorama, we hope that you finish it off it time for the deadline.

Our regards

David and Lynda

Edited by DJH584

Guest oldlugger

A very nice piece of modelling Ivan and a definite challenge contender! It would be interesting to make this into a proper micro layout after the challenge is over. I have to admit I do like dock lines!

Cheers

Simon

Cheers Simon - always wanted to do a quay side line. Had always thought this one was a tramway until I started this thread, but its simply a buried standard line. Something is niggling at the back of my mind about making and extension..... Just and excuse to see what the seven story warehouses that sit around the corner would look like in 1:76 scale....

I have done a couple of the remaining jobs - 'plumbed in' the cyclone, added another drain pipe and put in the dock side handrails. Plus I have used a couple of the original photos to make up a back scene on two sides - can't handle the idea of the perspective to extend the roof across the back scene, but I have done the 'round the corner' view and the higher background building at the other end:

post-220-0-35932700-1317413559_thumb.jpg

post-220-0-39258800-1317413757_thumb.jpg

Amazing what you can do with a colour printer, MS Word and a few old cereal boxes. All a bit Blue Peter really...

Ivan

• Like 2

Couple of final pictures taken in the sunshine today. From above:

post-220-0-85428500-1317501924_thumb.jpg

and a couple of close ups that are a bit better than the previous ones:

post-220-0-60522800-1317502058_thumb.jpg

post-220-0-70372700-1317502136_thumb.jpg

Must admit its been fun to make - lots i'd do differently with more time, but have learned a lot. Hope i've done it justice.

Ivan

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Normally when I post pictures like these I start to think that this deserves to be modelled, but in this case Ivan has already managed to beautifully capture a small part of it. I would love to see other parts of the line modelled by someone as well though.

Mistley Quay

08750 shunting an MOD ammunition train at Mistley Quay, Essex. About 1978. mistley quay branch class 08's

mistley 31xxx up train

mistley quay 08xxx breakdown vans

mistley quay 08xxx trip mistley quayside 08xxx shunting

Someone on Flickr has commented that the sign says "Explosives No Admittance" and that the train is probably full of ammunition for the Falklands Conflict!

mistley quay 08xxx shunting quayside 1980's HR

• Like 4