Mistley

Bar Side

• RMweb Premium

The mystery structure is a hopper of some kind with what looks like a dust extractor on top of it. Some of the buildings at Mistley were maltings or mills and the port was originally primarily used for the shipping of grain products as well as grain itself it is probably something to do with that. What was the original purpose of the building connected with it? If that could be identified it perhaps would explain the purpose of the structure.

Phil - I would guess it is a grain store. grain shipped in & unloaded in to the hopper inside the building using an archimedes screw & loaded on to the rail wagons. So the little hopper in the picture would be for smaller sack loading for road transport.

Does that sound about right?

Couple of pics of progress. I've started the 'other' building now & its here in part-built form. In front is the start of the collection hopper / cyclone.

post-220-0-86669900-1308603352_thumb.jpg

A close up (too close!) on the collection hopper / cyclone as it has progressed. Its a random collection of plastic pipe, cardboard, wire and balsa wood. Needs a frame to stand on and a coat of red oxide:

post-220-0-70972200-1308603521_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Gents

I've been doing some official work up there recently, and I too was supplied an old map that showed the line that went under.

The line indeed went past the large house with swimming pool. but the bridge has been filled in and there is only an embankment now, this bit can bee seen from the train as it's had subsidence and there has been remedial works including a safe cess walkway.

I have some photos of the points that go down to the quay, the clamplocks are still there but the switches and crossing nose are gone.

The one bit I didn't find on my walkout was the start of the railway to Tendring and Walton, the evidence of this can be found on the back road to Bradfield where the road goes over a unfinished bridge.

Mike

@Terry - like that Flash Earth site. I suspect you are right that the bridge has gone.

@Simon

Thank for those photos - much appreciated. I was going to model the structure but I haven't got a clue what it is or what it does. That shot is really handy though - thanks

Terry

Wasn't there an enbankment slip on the line only last year? Not sure where exactly. Interesting to hear about your work up there.

I have looked many times at the line to tendering on the OS maps - a cutting going nowhere. I've never been up to look for it though.

• RMweb Premium

There's not much to see of the line to Walton because it was never finished! (from the Manningtree-Harwich line that is.) Some bits of the original line to Harwich are still visible where it was diverted to serve Parkstone Quay.

Phil - it wasn't built but the cuttings / embankments & even a bridge were started & its always been shown on the OS maps as (I think) a dismantled railway.

Back to the modelling. I have done a bit more with the 'cyclone' - the frame is a little over size compared to the real think but looks ok to me:post-220-0-14840800-1308821513_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, OS shows dismantled railway but I could not find whilst walking through to Bradfield, and indeed the place where the junction "would" have been doesn't seem a particularly good area to put one (cutting)

The bridge however is definately on the road between Mistley and Bradfield

Mike

Phil - it wasn't built but the cuttings / embankments & even a bridge were started & its always been shown on the OS maps as (I think) a dismantled railway.

Back to the modelling. I have done a bit more with the 'cyclone' - the frame is a little over size compared to the real think but looks ok to me:post-220-0-14840800-1308821513_thumb.jpg

This is an interesting project purely because Lynda and I regularly go to Mistley/Manningtree as we live in Clacton.

Your work thus far looks extremely good as it does reflect what is there now and what would have been in the past.

Keep up the good work and we look forward to seeing your completed model.

Regards

David

Thanks for you kind comments David - part of the attraction is that the site hasn't really changed much since the 70's, something that seems to be becoming increasingly rare. Hopefully it will look about right to anyone who has been there in the last 30-40 years.

Must spend some time this week getting on with it now!

Ivan -

Nice modelling there - particularly the cyclone. Not many modellers go to that level of detail. I've noticed in many of the challenge topics the attention to detail is above & beyond what normally appears. I wonder whether it's because all our effort is being concetrated in such a small space? BY extension - if we build larger layouts, should we put a 20x11 box over the area currently under construction & not take it away till the scene is 'finished'?

Regs

Ian

Ian - know what you mean, i'm putting together a 3m long embankment at the moment and doing it to the same level of detail would be very challenging. I guess you also rarely have the photo detail across a larger space that you do for a chosen diorama space. As a result you tend back to available pre-built or kit buildings & accessories rather than trying to model the real thing. I guess that is what attracted me to the idea of this challenge.

I also love the dioramas used to pose models - such as the Swindon Works model frequently used in magazines to frame GWR locos. I can see this diorama being used to pose any future wagon models.

Ivan

The pictures I uploaded where taken only a few weeks ago to give you an idea of what is there now and can confirm that the fence is still their now as I live in Brantham and can see it across the estuary!

Simon

In Cattawade? I used to work on the Wardle Storey site - not much left to see now but I see Britannia House is still standing. Don't know how, it was falling down 10+ years ago. I did fancy making the diorama of the bridge beyond the factory entrance. Nice brick bridge appearing above the internal factory road, carrying the GER main line. I think originally there was a tramway around the site & under the bridge which would have looked great. The old tram shed is till there but I could never get pictures of it as it looked when running.

Ivan

• 1 month later...

Ivan

How is the model coming on?

I ask as Lynda and I were down on the quay earlier today.

Lynda thought it might be an idea to put some pigeons on top of the "cyclone" :yes: :yes:

Regards

David

• 4 weeks later...

Hi David

School holidays ave put the brakes on - only just getting back to it now. Base board is cut & track should go down shortly & then be buried up to the top. Then the ground can be painted & the buildings put on.

Can you get 1/76 pigeons? Hope so!

Ivan

• 2 weeks later...

OK here are a couple of pics of the latest progress:

First laying out the track. An old Hornby short point that was already beyond repair gave some bits for the turnout. I thought I would model is as it is seen now - still in situ but not complete or operatable.

post-220-0-81599000-1316118882_thumb.jpg

Next the track was glued directly on to the base & card used to make the surrounding ground level.

post-220-0-38005700-1316119633_thumb.jpg

So now this is it with the building placed on & the ground painted up.

post-220-0-94922500-1316119858_thumb.jpg

Now need to finish off the building, start deciding what else is needed , etc

• Like 1

Ivan

Great to see your progress on this. Lynda and I were down there this afternoon and your model really does reflect how the place looks.

Lynda suggests that you don't forget the pigeons :P - they were all there looking rather bedraggled courtesy of some rain showers.

It will be brilliant to see the finished model.

Our regards