Also in the news today!

Although possibly out modellers budgets is The eMaker Huxley 3D Printer Kits, interesting however that for the cost of an O Gauge loco kit you could have an in house 3D Printer. Not sure about the quality from this unit but the resolution goes down to 0.0125mm. food for thought and this is only going to improve with time.

An interesting product let down (I felt) by a rather amateurish video. As 'backofanenvelope' suggests, the possibility of owning a machine at reasonable cost is attracive - however I think most modellers would be pushed to justify owning one to satisfy purely their own modelling needs - and comercially this is a field where 'small suppliers' will excel and dominate. After all, you can purchase many potential models for the cost of one machine.

I think another area thatcuases confusion (to me at least) is the various production techniques - for example 'riprap' in the machine under discussion. In fact I feel a new thread coming on....

Regs

Ian

I think another area thatcuases confusion (to me at least) is the various production techniques - for example 'riprap' in the machine under discussion. In fact I feel a new thread coming on....

Regs

Ian

I assume you mean reprap? This refers to the fact the machine is self replicating. Most of the parts being made in the various videos are for another copy of the 3D printing machine..

What lets is down is the 0.5mm nozzle size I think.

• RMweb Premium

I think it may be the resolution of the movement of the stepper motors though I can't see the printing achieving that and it certainly doesn't look like it does.

I would think so, though with a nozzle size of 0.5 mm that's presumably the thinnest part you can produce.

I think it may be the resolution of the movement of the stepper motors though I can't see the printing achieving that and it certainly doesn't look like it does.

Yes, that will be the resolution of the motors, rather than the final resolution of the printer, which is nowhere near good enough for making model parts.

Archived