Heathfield branch developments

This traffic came just in time. The branch's future was looking decidedly shaky and people on the railway were having to speak up to save it.

Maybe someone will do the decent thing, now that it's been brought out of mothballs, and run a charter up there for the first time in a while. Tyseley Pannier(s), perchance?

Been there with 57XX 9600 best run ive had with a small kettle up Torre bank .

although 1450 was fun along the sea wall .

Edited by Crompton48

This afternoon's (brrrrr!!!!) return:

As ever, the sea wall at Teignmouth is never a good place for late afternoon pics of up trains (pretty though)

post-6669-0-98325400-1328114208.jpg

This was about the best I could manage into the glare, with ASA pushed and tweaked a bit in Irfanview

post-6669-0-20560500-1328114211.jpg

post-6669-0-89371300-1328114213.jpg

Did they forget to fill the last one?

post-6669-0-99127700-1328114216.jpg

• Like 3

Some very nice photos there, Richie.

I do need to ask, however, what vantage point was used to get the last two photos, please (ie. those shown quoted above)?

Thanks.

Thankyou Captain, sorry for the delayed reply ;o)

If you approach the yard from the Kingsteignton side, cross the level-crossing, pass the storage compound and immediately turn left and follow the public footpath leading down the side of that compound.

Once clear of the compound it is possible to get through the trees and reach the fence adjacent to the line.

I leaned across the fence and used my 250mm telephoto lens with remote release and monopod!

Regards, Rich

Edited by Richie B.
  • Like 1

A couple shots of the train, and two types of wagons on it, the ex Rover Cube wagons (TOPS code KSA?) and the usual KFA (rebuilt Cargowagons?) as well as the first loco for 10 years into the old Platform 9/ Motorail bay at Newton Abbot

http://antony-christ...m-9-for-10.html

KSA is correct for the ex Cubes, nice to see them getting down here too!

• RMweb Gold

If you approach the yard from the Kingsteignton side, cross the level-crossing, pass the storage compound and immediately turn left and follow the public footpath leading down the side of that compound.

Once clear of the compound it is possible to get through the trees and reach the fence adjacent to the line.

I leaned across the fence and used my 250mm telephoto lens with remote release and monopod!

Cheers - they are very nice photos.

Cheers - they are very nice photos.

Thanks Captain, much appreciated.

Unfortunately I have today had to change my privacy levels as copies of some of my rail and bus shots have appeared on internet auction sites and action needs to be taken.

Hopefully normal service will be resumed ASAP.

Regrettably I think water-marking, which I've always tried to avoid, is the only option if I want to continue photo-sharing.

Edited by Richie B.

66847 was this week's loco, seen here stabled at Newton Abbot this morning

post-6669-0-06919200-1328714990.jpg

post-6669-0-23899800-1328714992.jpg

Looking towards Exeter, the main line curves round to the right, and the Heathfield line branches off on the left beyond the maltings (and drops a bit by the look of it).

post-6669-0-85668300-1328714993.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just out of interest does anyone know approximately how many locos are 'spare' for this neck of the woods?

No one has any genuinely 'spare' locos in the south west any more, Nick, it's all tightly controlled and allocated in a 'sweating the assets' kind of way. DB Schenker in particular have cut motive power in Cornwall to pretty much the bare minimum, and all the other operators only work in to and then out of the area, only bringing the requisite traction for the job with them.

Admittedly there are the FGW Class 57s on Laira, but (i) there aren't many of them, (ii) they are either rostered on to specific diagrams or are probably on 'planned maintenance'.

If another train fails these days (and that's assuming it's the kind of train that can easily be assisted by a locomotive), then it's usually a matter of the train being assisted by another of the same type, or the loco of a freight train being borrowed to clear the line.

• Like 1

Hi Captain, the 57/6s are no longer based at Laira, Old Oak looks after the fleet...

Locomotives in the South West

Taunton usually 4 or 5 Freightliner 66s

Plymouth Laira 3 08s

St Blazey, 1! 66 all week a second loco from wednesday until friday (changes on a thursday night)

Fowey 1 08 (782?)

Penzance Long Rock on 57/6 and the 08

not all the 08s are mainline certified, and depends on what runs during the week ie Colas and Freightliner or test trains etc, all the rest is HST or Units

Hope this helps

Tony