Heathfield branch developments

• RMweb Gold

113 is expected to be first back into traffic and in Colas livery. The 56s are more suited to the traffic than the 66s and train length means no double-head 47s and 1 is not powerful enough.

Apparently there is interest in using the 56s on the timber traffic, but it's not necessarily a clear cut decision yet, as much will depend on ensuring that a 56 can take the timing load elsewhere on the diagram, including up north. No change from the current 66s is expected for a few months in any case, as I understand that there is some work to do on the 56s.

• RMweb Gold

Now that the second timber customer is on board, the plan will alternate each week. This week it is Kronospan again (Chirk), so these weeks the train comes down Monday afternoon (later path last Monday just gone), and goes back Weds pm. Next week it is BSW (Carlisle), and the train will come down on Weds pm and return Thurs pm. The week after that it's back to Kronospan...

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Driving down the M32 into the centre of Bristol this morning I observed the empties on the over bridge approaching Stapleton Road station hauled by an unidentified Colas class 66.

The time was 9.20am...............

Anyone know which one it was?

Edited by barrowroad

• RMweb Gold

I went past Chirk at Easter and looked out for the plant. Missed it though, probably on the opposite side of the train!

It's on the right as you head towards Chester, or on the left as you head towards Shrewsbury

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Got a feeling it's 66745 again today. It was at Gloucester yesterday. I presume the return is tomorrow?

jo

Ah, the old ex DRS, then COLAS, then GBRF on hire to COLAS and still in COLAS livery touch !

Confirmed as 66745 working 6Z50, Gloucester - the matchstick factory

• Like 1

66847 was at Rugby early this morning and 66848 was at Eastleigh, are you sure it was this train you saw ?

The Colas 66 was hauling a rake of empty timber wagons as seen in the photos in this topic so unless there is another similar freight in the area then yes it was this train I saw. Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

• RMweb Gold

The Colas 66 was hauling a rake of empty timber wagons as seen in the photos in this topic so unless there is another similar freight in the area then yes it was this train I saw. Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

See the post above this ! :acute:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just confirming Robin's observations (although already confirmed by Dave), as I was sat on a north-bound Voyager in platform 5 at Bristol TM as the timber train rolled slowly south through the Up Through line (bi-directional) at around 0927 hrs.... wasn't quick enough to spot which driver was on it, though!

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just missed having a chance to take a photo at Exeter this afternoon, also didn't hear if they gave us 'On Ilkley Moor' on the horn this time (they often do with the 66s, they're the only operator round these y'ere parts that do, these days, noise-abating Rule Book amendments of a few years back notwithstanding...)

• RMweb Gold

Saw 56094 at Exeter this morning as I passed through on a HST on my way to London.

On my return trip this evening I saw a solitary loaded wagon in the yard at Taunton. Did it have a problem and needed to be left behind?

Edited by Taz