Heathfield branch developments

• RMweb Gold

Re Teigngrace timber train-

I think it was just to clear the site of stored logs rather than an indication of more traffic.

There are many rumours doing the rounds ranging from the site having a short break in traffic until it resumes, the traffic transferring to St Blazey, this being the end of the traffic and a few other interesting ideas, time will tell.

I can assure everyone that the timber trains have now resumed, having made some enquiries with the appropriate parties today. The next run is scheduled to come down on 18th December and return on 19th. The frequency will not, initially, be weekly, as it was generally previously.

Edit - re St Blazey - this has never been a serious option for this traffic.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can assure everyone that the timber trains have now resumed, having made some enquiries with the appropriate parties today. The next run is scheduled to come down on 18th December and return on 19th. The frequency will not, initially, be weekly, as it was generally previously.

Only found out yesterday that the train actually came down yesterday, and is going back today, 17/12/13, so sorry about that, anyone who wanted to go and look at it tomorrow, but there will be more traffic soon!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As a result of the Heathfield branch being flooded a few weeks ago, with some serious wash-outs, and then Dawlish happening, we have today moved the first load of Devon timber by train from a temporary facility in Riverside Yard - more here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83178-helping-freight-beat-dawlish-timber-from-riverside-yard/

• 2 months later...

Promising news for the branch-

Realtimetime trains reported that the Chirk Kronospan to Tiegngrace service with empties ran this Wednesday (28th May), leaving Newton Abbot for the Branch 23 early. This was naturally followed by the outward run on Thursday back to Chirk Kronospan, leaving Teigngrace 94 late. 

Hi

Passed through Newton Abbot yesterday up in the morning & down in the evening & saw this parked up.......

post-7844-0-74745600-1401645758_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-15802700-1401645805_thumb.jpg

Got off the train T Newton Abbot to take the pics......

Was it left behind from last week or whenever or down for some other reason?

Cheers Bill

Edited by treggyman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Is there still some track hiding amongst the weeds then? :P

Action has been promised about these particular weeds...

Teignbridge continues to be the main timber loading location for Colas Rail in Devon at the moment, although some of the loading is currently still done at Riverside.

• Like 1

Something is wrong when NR or whomever can't afford to keep their property tidy.  BR did a creditable job in comparison.  Virtually every photo off the main line has a jungle between the rails and as mentioned above, it is difficult to detect if indeed they are still on situ.  In view if the log revenue, its a good job that the branch wasn't cut of at the main line as too many others were.

• RMweb Gold

Something is wrong when NR or whomever can't afford to keep their property tidy.  BR did a creditable job in comparison.  Virtually every photo off the main line has a jungle between the rails and as mentioned above, it is difficult to detect if indeed they are still on situ.  In view if the log revenue, its a good job that the branch wasn't cut of at the main line as too many others were.

I believe that the reason the weedspraying train didn't run this Spring, Brian, is due to the fact that the main line was blocked at Dawlish. The weedspraying train is very difficult to divert off it's booked roster, because that simply means that some other part of the network gets missed out. The alternative is a bit more labour intensive, but should still be sufficient, which is hand-spraying. I have ensured that this is now planned for this location.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

We had our trip on the train today, a great effort by the staff involved who seemed to be a mix of FGW and volunteers. We had a few pictures taken of us for publicity by Citizen Rail (partners with Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership) who put up the prize tickets which our daughter won, so expect to see my ugly mug with the rest of the family on a website soon! :O There was also a brief segment on BBC Spotlight tonight, not the train we took though.

Bumped into Brian Harrap on the train, who was trying to spot the Stover Canal amongst the undergrowth; I know he's involved with some conservation work on the "cut".

Lots of people line side around Teigngrace so there may be some pictures elsewhere but I only got a few family style snaps in the train. One souvenir I bought was a Heathfield train destination window sticker, along with raffle and drinks costs proceeds all going to charities supported by running the trains :)

Edited by Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Premium

We had our trip on the train today, a great effort by the staff involved who seemed to be a mix of FGW and volunteers. We had a few pictures taken of us for publicity by Citizen Rail (partners with Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership) who put up the prize tickets which our daughter won, so expect to see my ugly mug with the rest of the family on a website soon! :O

Bumped into Brian Harrap on the train, who was trying to spot the Stover Canal amongst the undergrowth; I know he's involved with some conservation work on the "cut".

Lots of people line side around Teigngrace so there may be some pictures elsewhere but I only got a few family style snaps in the train. One souvenir I bought was a Heathfield train destination window sticker, along with raffle and drinks costs proceeds all going to charities supported by running the trains :)

There was a short clip on Spotlight news this evening, showing a few of the punters and Santa.

In a spare moment with nothing better to do just before Xmas I sat down to see what might possibly be on TV worth watching - and up popped Capt K talking about the timber traffic from Riverside !!

Is nothing sacred any more - not even a whiff yet of another repeat of Von Ryan's Express..... :O

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I left 8 wagons for loading at Teigngrace on 6V54 this evening (14th Jan 2015) and 56078 stabled at Newton Abbot

Let's hope that the EA flood warning received for the branch doesn't cause any problems with 6M51 today then, branch currently closed pending mandatory PW inspection...

Edit - spoke too soon, Teignbridge site now advised as flooded overnight and wagons there since yesterday affected, not likely to move for a while until waters subside and wagons are inspected. At least the loco is still at Newton Abbot and can work the remaining portion of the train (loading in Riverside)...

Edited by Captain Kernow