Favourite "One Stop" Suppliers in the USA, UK (or anywhere)

trisonic

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

A lot of kits in timber.

We see a lot of highly detailed laser cut wood kits these days in the US but to my knowledge but there are no major cardstock structure kit manufacturers like Superquick or Metcalf. I have a pair of wood laser structures on my "to be built" shelf. One is the Banta Models kit for the Port Costa SP "roundhouse" aka 2 stall engine shed and the other is also from Banta but a special kit for the Southern Pacific Historical and Technical Society Type 18 standard depot (station and freight house in one building.)  If there were any card kit makers they would be in HO scale. 

As I know it will take some time and dedication to building these laser cut wood structures, I often build mock ups of the structures from artists illustration board  so I have the visual representation on my layout. Note that the turntable is also in mockup stage with a detailed working version yet to be built.  The Southern Pacific painted engine service structures in a barn red color. Windows are nothing more than photocopies of the windows in the kit pasted on the side.

Other structures that I have no kit for are also mocked up from illustration board (a 1.4 mm thick material found at art supply and craft stores.)  I sketch the structure from photos and then layout in scale dimensions and cut the illustration board components using an Ofa knife or scalpel. Some I will eventually turn into plastic or wood structures such as the freight shed in the lower left of the photo.  That structure was an illustration board mockup until I got the right dimensions and then I used Evergreen and Plastruct plastic scribed sheet and strip to build the final structure. 

Mockup RH after paint and window paste ons-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Are there any UK stores (including online only) who supply North American 0scale (2 rail) inc detail parts? Trucks, Kadees, decals etc. Looking for supplies for my ultra-shortline project.

Import from US is expensive & likely to get harder from 1.1.21.

Dava

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Dava said:

Are there any UK stores (including online only) who supply North American 0scale (2 rail) inc detail parts? Trucks, Kadees, decals etc. Looking for supplies for my ultra-shortline project.

Import from US is expensive & likely to get harder from 1.1.21.

Dava

I have purchased Kadee couplings from Hattons. Check the UK Model Shops website for American stuff. Some of the shops listed have a very limited range and you do need to watch prices but a bit of research will be rewarded. If you want more information send me a PM as like you I am starting out in building a US layout and have been asking questions here.

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I have purchased Kadee couplings from Hattons. Check the UK Model Shops website for American stuff. Some of the shops listed have a very limited range and you do need to watch prices but a bit of research will be rewarded. If you want more information send me a PM as like you I am starting out in building a US layout and have been asking questions here.

You got O Scale Kadees from Hattons???? :scratchhead:

There is a dearth of UK suppliers of US O Scale; Sophie at Anoraks Anonymous will be one of your best chances of getting rolling stock. Cutty Blacks ebay shop has some in at the moment too.

Edited by F-UnitMad

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

You got O Scale Kadees from Hattons???? :scratchhead:

There is a dearth of UK suppliers of US O Scale; Sophie at Anoraks Anonymous will be one of your best chances of getting rolling stock. Cutty Blacks ebay shop has some in at the moment too.

No. Sadly my reading skills appear to have vanished. I was talking about HO having misread the question. @Dava and I have discussed this via PM but I should have put something on here to let others know. My layout is 8' x1' with removable buildings so it can be run as a US or UK layout. It uses Peco code 83 track. The US version is a preservation line based on the Strasburg Railroad using Wisconsin Central, SOO Line and Illinois Central stock. The UK version uses the Model Rail J70 and other small locos, again in a preservation setting. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I bought some Atlas boxcars & reefers from ‘letten704’ which seems to be Anoraks Anonymous as they are just that, anonymous. They are ok but will need rewheeling as they have the old quite coarse plastic wheels. Which reverts to the lack of detail parts, Peartree lowfit  wheels at £8 set will substitute,apparently. 

The Facebook North American modellers in UK group has been the most useful so far with a couple of the long-term layout projects on here and FB as inspirations.

Dava

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Have Rails of Sheffield become official stockists of Athearn products?

Hi, Yes we are now an official Athearn stockist. We have parcel arriving weekly. 
https://railsofsheffield.com/manufacturer-athearn-JJJM29

Full stock is available to order, however we are easing our way in slowly, gradually building our stock offering each delivery. Initially we have been sticking to the most popular road names. We have created a dedicated Facebook page to share updates:

https://m.facebook.com/railroadsofsheffield/

So far initial response has been positive. If there is anything in particular you are after (and can’t find it on our site) then feel free to message me directly or emails sales@railroadsofsheffield.com. 

Other American brands are also available including Atlas, Kato, Walthers and Broadway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Oliver Rails said:

Hi, Yes we are now an official Athearn stockist. We have parcel arriving weekly. 

Full stock is available to order, however we are easing our way in slowly, gradually building our stock offering each delivery. Initially we have been sticking to the most popular road names. We have created a dedicated Facebook page to share updates:

So far initial response has been positive. If there is anything in particular you are after (and can’t find it on our site) then feel free to message me directly or emails sales@railroadsofsheffield.com. 

Other American brands are also available including Atlas, Kato, Walthers and Broadway. 

Just one question, did you ever consider stocking Bowser?  As a CP Rail modeller they are an essential one!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Oliver Rails said:

This is great news as it has become more and more difficult to source new US HO stock in the UK in recent times, particularly with Model Junction closing.

I've always had good service from Rails in the past.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Just one question, did you ever consider stocking Bowser?  As a CP Rail modeller they are an essential one!

The Bowser range is available to order yes. It may be a little while before we list products, however happy to quote should there be something you are after.

13 hours ago, Patrick SPF said:

As are Accurail who do lots of interesting freight car kits including Fowler box cars

The same applies for Accurail. Stock is available to order. Let me know any requirements.

12 hours ago, don said:

I beleive that Guagemaster are Walther dealer.

Yes Gaugemaster do stock Walthers. We also have a account direct with Walthers and with Gaugemaster. We have a selection of Walthers Cornerstone buildings currently in stock along with a few bits of rolling stock.

All brands sell LARGE ranges so during this initial period its quite difficult to know what to trial and stock first. Many companies such as Athearn have a pre-order deadline cycle which we are slowly getting into, so throughout the year more new products will appear. We also have a selection of sale items arriving soon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Dalesman said:

Any chance of you stocking the Scale Trains range in HO and N?

To be clear, not speaking for Rails of Sheffield or ScaleTrains, but based on public comments by ScaleTrains over the years.

ScaleTrains business model was planned around direct selling, and so while they did take on some retailers and distributors at the beginning they stopped accepting retailers fairly early on (and I believe they dropped the distributors).

That said, with ScaleTrains buying MTH they have indicated that they will be taking on more retailers - likely towards the end of this year.

So the best thing to do is to provide feedback to Rails of Sheffield (likely best using their website so they are sure to see it and can track the interest) and wait to see what happens.

https://railsofsheffield.com/contact-us

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all, I have recently taken and interest in the US scene. So far I have only managed to acquire a Broadway AC6000 and a Scale Trains ES44. I would like to develop the collection a little more, but not too sure on where to start. I’d like to get a few more locomotives, particularly the SD-90, SD-80 and SD-60 along with a few more GE locomotives. I’m mainly looking at UP but as I am not looking to recreate prototypical trains, just don’t have the room!, I’m also looking at NS, CSX and Santa Fe. I’ve looked at shops within the US and they are willing to ship to me, I am just wondering if there are UK shops who stock or are will to order before I go the route of ordering direct from the US. Any help much appreciated.