Favourite "One Stop" Suppliers in the USA, UK (or anywhere)

trisonic

2 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

Good afternoon all, I have recently taken and interest in the US scene. So far I have only managed to acquire a Broadway AC6000 and a Scale Trains ES44. I would like to develop the collection a little more, but not too sure on where to start. I’d like to get a few more locomotives, particularly the SD-90, SD-80 and SD-60 along with a few more GE locomotives. I’m mainly looking at UP but as I am not looking to recreate prototypical trains, just don’t have the room!, I’m also looking at NS, CSX and Santa Fe. I’ve looked at shops within the US and they are willing to ship to me, I am just wondering if there are UK shops who stock or are will to order before I go the route of ordering direct from the US. Any help much appreciated. 

Look up the thread and you will see a post by Rails of Sheffield indicating they are expanding their North American offerings, and are willing to order specific items.  Others will have other retailers to recommend I am sure.

Regarding ScaleTrains, they currently have a limited number of dealers but they will be expanding their dealer network later this year (they are waiting on a new order system to be put in place this summer), so if you can't find a supplier you like currently it may be worth looking around again later to see if there are more options.

Depending on the "few more GE locos" you want, just be aware it is known (as both have said so) that both ScaleTrains and Athearn will at some point be coming out with new models of the GE AC4400's as it is a variation - and hence much shared tooling - of the GE Dash-9 loco that they both offer.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure they have been mentioned before, but Mech Models of Burton on Trent provide an excellent service for US outline stuff. I have bought (by phone), and also ordered, paints, parts, transfers and rolling stock from them at various times and the service has always been excellent.

• Like 1

Just to add a thumbs up for Mech Models.

I've been to the shop a couple of times and always found the chaps working there to be very friendly and helpful.

Today has further cemented that. I had a phonecall this afternoon to tell me that two Athearn locos I had pre-ordered via Mech had arrived. I made my card payment over the phone , and then when it came to discussing post/delivery the chap mentioned that he lived not too far from me so we arranged to meet at a convenient location halfway between the two of us so I could collect my locos - I can't say fairer than that.

• Like 4

Off to Colorado again, hopefully, next year. Now Caboose has closed it's doors, I wondered if there was any other shops in or around Denver worth a visit.

10 minutes ago, JZ said:

Off to Colorado again, hopefully, next year. Now Caboose has closed it's doors, I wondered if there was any other shops in or around Denver worth a visit.

N Scale supply in Arvada is a good shop, but only if you model in N.

Caboose may re-open.

Not a shop, but well worth a visit if you are in Northern Colorado, the Colorado Model Railroad Museum https://www.cmrm.org/.

Regards,

John P

Just now, jpendle said:

N Scale supply in Arvada is a good shop, but only if you model in N.

Caboose may re-open.

Not a shop, but well worth a visit if you are in Northern Colorado, the Colorado Model Railroad Museum https://www.cmrm.org/.

Regards,

John P

The museum is on my to do list.

When I visited Caboose a couple of years back, there was a huge amount of empty shelves. Talking with others and looking at the placeholder on the website, the impression is that if they do reopen, it will be online only.

• 2 weeks later...
  • AY Mod unpinned this topic