Favourite "One Stop" Suppliers in the USA, UK (or anywhere)

trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Oh yes, thats why we try to visit Portland and surrounding area at least once a year but they keep opening breweries quicker than we can try them!!

Another good shop is the one in Forest Grove. He even had a room for a Pool table in the shop when we visited in 2010. Need a car to get there although there was a bus route from Hillsboro to Forest Grove.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Just had another excellent experience of customer service from Highball Graphics. Elapsed time from order to delivery in the uk was 6 days. I've also been pretty impressed when ordering from the US from Microscale, Micro Mark, M.B Klein, and Dallas Modelworks. In the UK I have to say that the service offered by Model Junction and DCC Supplies is superb. I have also been extremely impressed by P&H Models (Kadee Couplers, Kadee Wheels, Plastruct, and Detail Associates wire!), though it would be good if they got a website :no:.

Cheers

Chris M

The problem with shipments from the USA to the UK is that it is extremely variable and one is at the mercy of Postal services, Customs, Security Sevices, Airlines and the Weather.

I sent a normal package to a fellow member of RmWeb in the UK and was advised by US Mail that it would take 6-10 (working) days to reach him - "but that normally to the UK it takes a shorter time" - it has been two weeks with absolutely no news of receipt.

I find this to be very embarrassing, personally, there is nothing I can do about it.

Best, Pete.

The problem with shipments from the USA to the UK is that it is extremely variable and one is at the mercy of Postal services, Customs, Security Sevices, Airlines and the Weather.

I sent a normal package to a fellow member of RmWeb in the UK and was advised by US Mail that it would take 6-10 (working) days to reach him - "but that normally to the UK it takes a shorter time" - it has been two weeks with absolutely no news of receipt.

I find this to be very embarrassing, personally, there is nothing I can do about it.

I've also sent, ahem, care packages to RMwebbers and had them take as long as a month to be delivered. Meanwhile, items coming from the UK get here in less than a week, and do so reliably. Strange.

Hi,

Having recently read a thread on 'Big Blue' where Chris Gilbert had ordered locos from Trainworld, Brooklyn, NY and received the order in a few days, I thought I would take the plunge and make my first ever purchase direct from the US.

Browsing Trainworld's website I found a very nice Atlas Gold sound fitted CSX U30B. I placed the order on Tuesday and the loco arrived on Friday - very impressive service!

I was able to track the progress of the order being deivered by UPS air freight. Although, the shipping, handling etc costs where quite expensive, the overall cost was still cheaper

than ordering from a UK retailer. The main advantage for me, however is not cost, but to be able to buy locos not currently available in the UK.

regards,

Mal

Thought I'd add this ebay shop to the list of good traders. TJ model trains a family run ebay shop. Prices at really good levels. I found that most of their Cannon & Co details parts are cheaper than Cannon's own online shop. They also charge minimal amounts for P+P even overseas. Just bought $30 detailing parts and they charged me $4.50.

Service is good too, I asked back in early Jan if they had or were getting some detailing items that werent listed, I had an email 2 days ago to tell me that they had some new items that I might be interested in.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/tjmodeltrainsandthings

Dave

• Like 1

I've also sent, ahem, care packages to RMwebbers and had them take as long as a month to be delivered. Meanwhile, items coming from the UK get here in less than a week, and do so reliably. Strange.

Except it seems the magazines which take up to six weeks or longer

I've been totally blown away by really slick US customer service this afternoon. I decided to complete my set of Windy City Rails DVDs by ordering Volumes 6 and 7 direct from CV Productions in the US. I placed my order at about 3.00pm, by 3.15pm I had recieved a 'real' email from the owner thanking me for my custom, also saying that he was on his way to the USPS to post my DVDs, by 4.00pm I had another email saying that my DVDs were on the way. Awsome! Not only was I impressed with the customer service, but also with the shipping cost - just $6, when I add up the total cost of the whole order I'm only paying £5-6 more than if I bought similar DVDs from SPV or Videoscene (though SPV do have a special offer on for Windy City Rails V1 -4 atm).

Cheers

ChrisM

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mal:

I don't use mail order much, but we were in New York last fall and Trainworld is located right at the bottom of the stairs from an elevated line (well, it's underground in Manhattan) which makes it an interesting scenic ride as well. Staff was really helpful with our obscure requests.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello--I've had great success ordering directly through Walther's. They have a "hobby shop" associated with their site. Microscale (also direct) is great for decals (transfers). On a more local level, I almost exclusively deal with Riverdale Hobbies (Bob Brannen), a merchant with over 30 years of experience operating a "brick and mortar" in this very difficult Atlanta, Georgia market. His contact information is found in the dealer section of both Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman, two magazines which every modeler of North American (USA & Canada) railways should have close at hand.

Best wishes--Carl

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I know this is not directly related to this topic in that I am not recommending any specific retailers but I thought you might be interested in my new venture and hopefully theat you would like to update me with your recommendations.

So here goes.

After 12 years of managing the UK Model Shops Directory and my new interest in HOn3 modelling, I have decided to extend my coverage and introduce the North American Model Shops Directory covering Canada and the USA.

So far I have added over 2,000 Model Shops and 100 Suppliers and I am adding more daily but I could do with your help please.

I am busy adding the maps and street view images for the shops but there is a lot to do.

So, if you have ever purchased from Canada or the USA and are aware of any Shops or Suppliers could you help me and check them out and send me details of the items I am missing e.g. websites, e-mail addresses, telephone number, products stocked and any services they offer.

There is an update option on each of the Model Shop and Supplier pages for just this purpose and information no matter how small will be most welcome.

Also, I have very few contacts for Clubs, Exhibitions and Layouts and I would really love to start adding these as soon as possible.

Any help you can provide in this area would also be most welcome.

So please, take a look and get in touch.

Many thanks in anticipation.

As for personal recommendations from experience - Caboose Hobbies, Tony's Train Exchange, Hobbylinc, Cache Creek Models and Cream City Turnouts

But I have also always received the most exemplary of customer service from all retailers and suppliers in Canada and the US.

Best Regards,

Adrian

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk

and now

http://modelshopsusa.com

• 1 month later...

My kudos to Fasttracks!

I just have to say what a wonderful service they have!

Speediest delivery across the Atlantic that I've seen.....

I ordered on the 23,

they shipped the same day,

and on the 26:th I had it in the mailbox here in Sweden!

The shipping cost was also very reasonable! (unlike some other US suppliers.... ).

So, that was really, really good! :-)

• 1 month later...

Another positive experience of Trainworld

Quick to respond to email query regarding stock availability

Placed order last Monday & UPS tried to deliver it yesterday

Seems quicker than purchasing online from most UK stores

Thought I'd add this ebay shop to the list of good traders. TJ model trains a family run ebay shop. Prices at really good levels. I found that most of their Cannon & Co details parts are cheaper than Cannon's own online shop. They also charge minimal amounts for P+P even overseas. Just bought $30 detailing parts and they charged me $4.50.

Service is good too, I asked back in early Jan if they had or were getting some detailing items that werent listed, I had an email 2 days ago to tell me that they had some new items that I might be interested in.

http://stores.ebay.c...rainsandthings

Dave

I'd like to echo Dave's posting. I recently ordered a small amount of detailing parts from this seller and they were quick to reply to queries and the parts arrived quickly. However, I did notice that they have a lot more listed on ebay.com, for example under BLMA N on the .co.uk site there's 41 items listed and 75 items listed on the .com site. All are listed as worldwide shipping. I haven't checked all their categories so I don't know if the same applies elsewhere, but it should be something to keep in mind.

David S.

I'd like to echo Dave's posting. I recently ordered a small amount of detailing parts from this seller and they were quick to reply to queries and the parts arrived quickly. However, I did notice that they have a lot more listed on ebay.com, for example under BLMA N on the .co.uk site there's 41 items listed and 75 items listed on the .com site. All are listed as worldwide shipping. I haven't checked all their categories so I don't know if the same applies elsewhere, but it should be something to keep in mind.

David S.

I've found if you click on 'view sellers items' you do get slightly different items than if you click on 'visit sellers shop' and search there. Not sure why but always worth looking at both.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say Model Junction UK. My experiences with buying direct in the USA have not been great, not the fault of the retailer, but being stung by customs and RM 'handling fees'. The problem also is that postage is part of the total value, and if that exceeds $35,- you pay VAT (plus the handling charges...)

So a shipment of just over $30,- on small detail parts etc with shipping was just over $37,- then came the VAT, and GBP 8,- for the pleasure of Royal mail taking care of receiving the VAT..... ridiculous, so I now rather pay a little more, knowing that I'll get a fair price. Modeljunction it is for me.

However, if anyone knows if the new ESU loksound direct decoders are available in the UK somewhere too , please let me know. To my knowledge they where launched as an USA market only product ....

Cheers, Koos

Edited by torikoos

Hi Koos

If you mean the loksound select then digitrains.co.uk sell them. I'm sure there are others.

Hth

I mean the ESU Locsound Select Direct, they have the same form factor of a Tsunami (long and slender PCB) and similar mounting tabs etc.

see here: http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-select-direct/ , a direct drop in for many Athearn Atlas etc ...

Koos

I had a very pleasant email "chat" today with Derek Osborn who does items that may be useful to us modellers of US/Canadian practice, in various scales - please note that he normally deals with customers in Canada and USA, and needs an email from customers outside those areas to confirm shipping costs. Seems like a really nice guy. I found his site thrpough a link in the products pages in July MR

His site/product listing is at http://www.osbornmodelkits.com/

Edited by shortliner

Jack, That link says it is "Forbidden" on my server?!?!

I'm looking for a 1:87 and 1:48 american tugboat kit - after the "M" company that you can see around NY harbor, some of whom have the extended, as in tall, wheelhouse to look over fuel barges.

Anyone have any ideas for retailers?

Best, Pete.

Pete - changed my link on the previous post - try that!

Re your other query there is a Yahoo group which may be able to answer that - http://groups.yahoo..../railmarineops/ - it may take a little whie to get an answer to a joining request - FOLLOW THE RULES SCRUPULOUSLY WHEN POSTING! - All posts have to be approved

Try http://www.frenchman.../oSteamTug.html for the tug - alls Google The Scale Shipyard and look for Civilian tugboats

Be aware that they ain't CHEAP!

Edited by shortliner