Useful reference books

AndyB

The Steaming Sixties.

10.  Scottish Sheds Swansong.

Paul Anderson.

Irwell Press.

post-7031-0-54516100-1444992031.gif

£12.99.  (I got mine for £10 from Bill Hudson Books at the recent Wigan exhibition, where he had much stock at prices below RRP - to compete with Booklaw?  Although full whack on his website).

64 pages.  Landscape format in the usual Ian Allan colour album style.

All photographs are by A G Forsth, Initial Photographics.

Content is very much what it says in title - vast majority of pictures are loco portraits.  Some are pretty dark and/or with heavy shadows.  Whilst I've no experience of Photoshop or similar I would have thought some could have been improved, assuming they haven't been already.  Perhaps this book has exhausted what available from this collection, but a few are really not that great - one interior shot describes a WD that is barely discernible in the gloom.  Captions are primarily loco history and shed allocations.  However at about 20p a photograph it's probably fair value, if you want, say, some inspiration for loco weathering.  

I doubt this one will be pulled off the shelf for a quick flick through in the way that the more general Ian Allan "Scottish Railways" ones have been over the years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just bought 'The east fife central railway' (usual Oakwood format) aka the Lochty railway.

Shows how you can model rural goods stations with 3 points (Largoward) or 4 (Lochty). Good little book which covers the line operation & brief rebirth of the Lochty end in peservation. Operation by Hunslet 0-6-0DMs replaced J35-36.

Link to how it is now:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99850-scottish-railway-preservation-boness-mixed-traffic-gala/

Enjoyable read.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

noticed it was out but still to get it - actually just finishing the leven & EoF volume!

often pass the site of kennoway goods station (well, going past on the main road) and have always meant to stop off and have a look to see if there's anything left - the turn-off is still called station road at least!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Lightmoor Press and the Caledonian Railway Association have just published their new book on Coaches, covering from the very early vehicles through to the grouping, including to Pullman cars.

$_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

It is quite a volume having some 360 pages and is 11" deep and 9" wide, and almost 1" thick and its cost is £30.00.

It was released at Warley, and mine came via Geoff Gamble books.

I have no connection with any of the above, other than a satisfied customer, and in my opinion the book is superb; it will help for some of the vehicles, especially the saloons, but some other coaches are also included,

if you have a copy of the HMRS West Coast Joint stock book for some further information on the seconded vehicles from them to the Caledonian Railway.

Some of the 'cascaded coaches are available as 4mm scale kits via London Road Models.

Yours Peter

Edited by PeterR
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Lightmoor Press and the Caledonian Railway Association have just published their new book on Coaches, covering from the very early vehicles through to the grouping, including to Pullman cars.

$_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

It is quite a volume having some 360 pages and is 11" deep and 9" wide, and almost 1" thick and its cost is £30.00.

It was released at Warley, and mine came via Geoff Gamble books.

I have no connection with any of the above, other than a satisfied customer, and in my opinion the book is superb; it will help for some of the vehicles, especially the saloons, but some other coaches are also included,

if you have a copy of the HMRS West Coast Joint stock book for some further information on the seconded vehicles from them to the Caledonian Railway.

Some of the 'cascaded coaches are available as 4mm scale kits via London Road Models.

Yours Peter

I agree with you Pete. I got my copy crimbo day and haven't put it down yet. Essential for any modeler of the Caledonian but also some useful information, plans and drawings on some of the smaller companies that were absorbed by the Caledonian as well.

I think I can feel a few Scottish central railway and Scottish North Eastern Railway four wheel out side frame carriages coming on. Now with this book I can recreate this rake seen in this classic view of Loch Tay station.

post-17847-0-85512900-1451284399.jpg

All in all a great book but for dedicated Caledonian carriage fans as its not a general Sottish railway book

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a new one to add to your bookshelf................

post-7769-0-23552600-1453562085_thumb.jpg

The Dingwall & Skye Railway - a pictorial record of the line to Kyle of Lochalsh, by Peter Tatlow ISBN 978 1906 537463 @ £27.95 by Crecy Publishing Ltd (who have taken over Noodle Books)

This is presently at the publishers and, all things being equal, will be launched at Model Rail Scotland where signed copies will be available.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here is a new one to add to your bookshelf................

Cover_Dingwall Skye compress copy.jpg

The Dingwall & Skye Railway - a pictorial record of the line to Kyle of Lochalsh, by Peter Tatlow ISBN 978 1906 537463 @ £27.95 by Crecy Publishing Ltd (who have taken over Noodle Books)

This is presently at the publishers and, all things being equal, will be launched at Model Rail Scotland where signed copies will be available.

I've just purchased a copy of this. What a wonderful book! I'll be taking it on holiday with me in a couple of weeks so that I can savour it in peace! :)

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Does anyone know if There is a decent book on G&SWR carriages out there.

I've tried joining the G&SWR association but so far they've not replied to my emails (Does anyone know if there's any problems there?) I've also tried eBay and putting in random combination of titles in Amazon to no avail 

Thanks Steve

4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Thanks tiger I had seen those pages and are typically vague as some Google pages are also apart from the little full 6 wheel brake most of the carriages are to late for my needs.

I can't understand why no one from the association has got back to me dispite two emails to the addresses on the contact page of there web site.

Ps I've just won an original picture of a full third on the bay of E which looks about 45ft on four wheel bogies which look to be cir 1890 which is the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Edited by Londontram
Add extra text
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 19:10, Londontram said:

Does anyone know if There is a decent book on G&SWR carriages out there.

I've tried joining the G&SWR association but so far they've not replied to my emails (Does anyone know if there's any problems there?) I've also tried eBay and putting in random combination of titles in Amazon to no avail 

Thanks Steve

Hi,

I'm the Treasurer of said G&SWRA - if you pm me I'll get back to you after work.

Stewart

15 hours ago, JinglingGeordie said:

Hi,

I'm the Treasurer of said G&SWRA - if you pm me I'll get back to you after work.

Stewart

Stewart I'm back in hospital at the moment in fact I'm nil by mouth right now waiting to go down at 10.30 this morning for another minor procedure before a bigger op in about 4 weeks time. As soon as I get home I'll drop you that line and we can sort something out.

Steve

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...

Is there no book, comprehensive or otherwise, on private owner wagons in/of Scotland.  I see manufacturers of transfers and transfered kits with long lists of Scottish  private owners but where to read and view photos of these wagons in the flesh, so to speak.

I believe one has been in preparation for several years, but I don't know what stage it is at.  It involves a mammoth amount of research and I understand some of the information is difficult, or no long possible, to find.

Jim

On 09/03/2021 at 13:19, 1ngram said:

Is there no book, comprehensive or otherwise, on private owner wagons in/of Scotland.  I see manufacturers of transfers and transfered kits with long lists of Scottish  private owners but where to read and view photos of these wagons in the flesh, so to speak.

Yes. In the PO Wagon books where you would expect to find them.

List on this page. Plenty of Scottish wagons.

19 references to Glasgow for example.

https://lightmoor.co.uk/category.php?page=1&section=CatPrivateOwner

Jason

• 2 months later...

Has anything been written about the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway other than what's on Wiki.  No book or illustrated article?  I find I am spending a staycation therabouts at the end of this month.

21 minutes ago, 1ngram said:

Has anything been written about the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway other than what's on Wiki.  No book or illustrated article?  I find I am spending a staycation therabouts at the end of this month.

“Backtrack” volume 24, numbers 3 and 5 (March and May 2010) - two part article on the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway.