LT Layouts

• RMweb Gold

Not much mention of trolleybus modelling! I can remember a layout that featured regularly at N&SLTC exhibitions in the 1970's. Very effective. Steering was done by an arm sticking out of the front nearside and rubbing against a ridge in the road surface or kerb as appropriate. These days one could do it more easily with Faller car system type arrangement.

re S scale stuff.

it would well be Leslie Beviss-smith. he's part of (where I don't know) the MRC but is also the met railway coordinator for the hrms. I spoke with him several times researching the met twin rail wagons, and met him at last years Acton open day. he was working on some cutting sides for an S scale model of the area around farringdon and vine street goods, including met cammell back locos. anyone know how that's getting along? ready for met 150?;)

cheers

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Not much mention of trolleybus modelling! I can remember a layout that featured regularly at N&SLTC exhibitions in the 1970's. Very effective. Steering was done by an arm sticking out of the front nearside and rubbing against a ridge in the road surface or kerb as appropriate. These days one could do it more easily with Faller car system type arrangement.

There was also Walford Arches that used the Faller system. Regrettably the guy who built the layout has passed away but I have heard that the layout still exists.

• RMweb Gold

I am starting a modern LT layout which I plan to call "Hillingdon Hill" as I used to live there in the early 80's when I was a driver on the Bakerloo and Jubilee, later the Met and Circle.

I alrady have the recent Bachmann LT Pannier Tank fitted with DCC and sound, Kernow's Models Beattie Well Tank, a Hornby 4-VEP in NSE and the EFE preserved 1938 stock. I want to use Radley Models A60 stock and Met Loco in time, has anyone had experience in building these kits?

Following these posts with interest and hopefully post some pics soon.

Julian Sprott

I believe that the current Radley Models A60 stock is a resin body on a white metal chassis with white metal bogies. Not exactly what I'd call heavy, but you would probably need 2 SPUDS for a 4 car set. They run much better than the EFE stock as the A60s have pinpoint axles in top hat bearings on the non-motorised bogies as standard.

If you plan to use them on a gradient then you may need to add some extra weight over the motor bogies to improve the adhesion.

I think that Phil now supplies them with a TensionLok style couplings instead of his previous fixed "hook and eye" style design.

I think there might have been an all white metal version in Harrow Model Shop days which would have been somewhat heavier.

For me they capture the A60/A62 look.

We're just getting to grips with a new club project based on the area around Granville box on the widened lines. I might try to get some photos this week and post them on the forum.

Here's a link to the club project page. It has moved on a bit more since these pics were taken, but I haven't had chance to get any more shots uploaded onto the forum

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48027-mount-pleasant/page__fromsearch__1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm still planning on rebuilding/restoring this one. Some day. Eventually. I hope.........

moorestreet004.jpg

Before anyone asks, no the tiling is not the Metro Models product. Its my own artwork and predates the Metro Models stuff by several years.

I know this is an old post but very nice work.  I am currently building a layout with underground and overground options using the new S Stock and now realize the Kingsway station kit wont work because the S Stock is larger than this is made for.  Do you happen to have computer files of your tiles and posters and station signs as I am going to be starting from scratch!  Very happy to pay for them!  Thanks, kev

• Like 1

I know this is an old post but very nice work.  I am currently building a layout with underground and overground options using the new S Stock and now realize the Kingsway station kit wont work because the S Stock is larger than this is made for.  Do you happen to have computer files of your tiles and posters and station signs as I am going to be starting from scratch!  Very happy to pay for them!  Thanks, kev

I might be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs but Tiles Kev? 

OK I haven't visited all Underground stations but have been through a fair few.  As far as I am aware, tiles are only used on (deep) Tube lines - lining the large circular tunnel used for the station platform.  S stock is "Surface" rather than Tube stock - now being used on the Metropolitan, District, Hammersmith & City, and (Inner) Circle lines.  Those lines were all built using "cut and cover".  The stations are generally open to the air (to let the smoke escape - they were originally steam hauled lines).  As far as I can tell, the walls were more like the Wills Arches with a slight batter (lean) to them.  Agreed that since being built, some below ground level Surface stock stations have been covered over but the walls remain basically flat.

Note that the difference between "Surface" and "Tube" stock would explain why the Kingsway kit didn't work.  BR Mark 2Ds have run on Surface lines and clearly wouldn't fit down Tube tunnels.

Notwithstanding this, I believe that some stations may have had glazed bricks (different size from tiles) and AndrewC's posters do look good.    

The District Line stations along the Victoria Embankment were always covered over - they were never left open for smoke to escape as the District Line was constructed at the same time the Victoria Embankment was.

I'm pretty sure Baker Street's always been covered over, too as the original platforms are directly under the road. Same probably applies for Great Portland Street, Euston Square and KXSP.

• Like 1

The District Line stations along the Victoria Embankment were always covered over - they were never left open for smoke to escape as the District Line was constructed at the same time the Victoria Embankment was.

I'm pretty sure Baker Street's always been covered over, too as the original platforms are directly under the road. Same probably applies for Great Portland Street, Euston Square and KXSP.

Baker Street is a cut/cover with vents iirc as it was part of the original Met line.

• Like 1

As fas as I can tell it was only Temple which was always subterranean, although there would have been ventilation provided at platform ends for smoke to escape. The LT museum website has photos of Embankment and Blackfriars when they were still open air, and Westminster still had some open air sections until it was rebuilt with the JLE interchage.

As for tiling, you can get away with similar tiling to the 'Kingsway' Morden extension set for District stations, although the alternate low-high-low etc. nameboard panels would need to be adapted, as name-boards were all at the same level on those sub-surface stations which were tiled over in the mid 20s. Have a look at St James' Park for inspiration.

For the Metropolitan Line, you would need to make your own tiles. The only surviving platform tiling that I know of from the 20s refurbishments on the Met is at the west end of Euston Square. It is white, black and orange, and I am pretty certain it was based on the LER black white and green scheme which was being used on the District around the same time, (remembering that the Met was still fiercely independent until the formation of the LPTB, while the District was part of the LER 'UndergrounD' empire).

I have seen photos of Aldersgate and Barbican taken before the war showing what appear to be white black and orange tiles applied to false walls covering the lower section of the original retaining walls. Below is my version from our abortive club project. Unfortunately this is now residing in the 'spare buildings' box under the workbench in the club-room. It is safe, but I don't know whether the project will ever start again, especially as I'm moving in August, and I don't know whether anyoe else has a great desire to build LT!

post-8704-0-19678300-1464032514.jpg

• Like 6

kmargetson, on 18 May 2016 - 05:21, said:

More than happy to share them. The artwork is taken from Tooting Bec and is in Photoshop format. The pattern is typical of Holden designed tubes and not really suitable for the sub-surface lines apart from Embankment station that uses the same pattern of green and grey. The whole file is about 16mb so if you want I can throw it onto a public share somewhere for you. The posters are just copy paste jobs from various websites. (shameless acquisition from Fuller's)

To do your own name boards and text you can get the Johnson typeface from the TfL museum shop.

post-2818-0-14679800-1464258464_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I was member of Ongar & District MRC during the last 12 years of its life . During the seventies the club built a 00 fine scale layout of both Blake Hall and Ongar stations set in GER days.  By todays standards it looks crude but was fine in its day can any one remember seeing it ?   By the time I joined in the early nineties the Ongar half of the layout the had been donated to some charity maybe ORPS ?  Can anyone tell me if it still survives or know  where it might have gone?

As for the Blake hall section that went to few shows on its own before it was retired in the late nineties. When the club disbanded  in 2001  (  A sad loss ) I became the owner of the layout I stored it for a number of years then in 2013 I I gave it a make over and converted it to a LT layout not that hard really and took it to Chelmsford  exhibition the following year where there was a lot of interest  shown by the public.

Before I can take it on the road it needs a major overhaul  and so It will need somewhere to be  worked upon by a team of skilled modellers with a combined interest in LNER/ LT  it will also need funding.

So if anybody out there can help with either of the above please write in,  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, trapoint said:

I was member of Ongar & District MRC during the last 12 years of its life . During the seventies the club built a 00 fine scale layout of both Blake Hall and Ongar stations set in GER days.  By todays standards it looks crude but was fine in its day can any one remember seeing it ?   By the time I joined in the early nineties the Ongar half of the layout the had been donated to some charity maybe ORPS ?  Can anyone tell me if it still survives or know  where it might have gone?

As for the Blake hall section that went to few shows on its own before it was retired in the late nineties. When the club disbanded  in 2001  (  A sad loss ) I became the owner of the layout I stored it for a number of years then in 2013 I I gave it a make over and converted it to a LT layout not that hard really and took it to Chelmsford  exhibition the following year where there was a lot of interest  shown by the public.

Before I can take it on the road it needs a major overhaul  and so It will need somewhere to be  worked upon by a team of skilled modellers with a combined interest in LNER/ LT  it will also need funding.

I recall a layout featuring Blake Hall in LT days at the Shenfield exhibition a few years ago, would that be the same one?

No that one was a special very compact version built by a local chap for his own use at home and was not intended for exhibition use. I went to that same show that day as well and I remember him declining invites to shows. This made me realise that I could have a winner on my hands except his was about 5x1 in feet mine is 20x3 and if the Ongar bit is ever found another 8 feet !

Also at that Shenfield show was a layout of Wooton station on the Brill branch I thought that was very good but not seen that around recently.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, trapoint said:

No that one was a special very compact version built by a local chap for his own use at home and was not intended for exhibition use. I went to that same show that day as well and I remember him declining invites to shows. This made me realise that I could have a winner on my hands except his was about 5x1 in feet mine is 20x3 and if the Ongar bit is ever found another 8 feet !

Also at that Shenfield show was a layout of Wooton station on the Brill branch I thought that was very good but not seen that around recently.

Thank you. I also remember the Wooton layout and I recall seeing it at another show but not locally, I think it may have been from some distance away. I did muse on having both layouts at a show together with my clubs (Basildon) layout 'Aldwych' lined up together.

Has anyone mentioned Clive Foxell's layout of Rickmansworth? It featured in Railway Modeller July 2013 and featured a magnificent collection of rolling stock stock that covered periods from the 1930's to the present day. Unfortunately the collection was sold off piecemeal at auction 3 years ago (https://www.vectis.co.uk/model-train-sale_34?filter1=N+Gauge+Layout+Featured+in+the+Railway+Modeller+July+2013) but I have the Metropolitan Railway Pullman coach he modelled after a lucky Ebay win.

Sadly Clive passed away not long after the layout was sold but his collection is out there scattered across the modelling community....

• Informative/Useful 1

On 09/02/2019 at 18:08, trapoint said:

It's a very interesting proposition.
Depending on the type of overhaul work that is required, I might be able to assist. I'm not so familiar with LNER. However I have vaguely familiarised  myself with many of the LNER - LT transitional periods on sections of the Central and Northern Lines. My strongest point is definitely London Underground if it helps.

Sadly, I struggle to see how I can assist with finding a location to carry out the work. 

Perhaps you may want to consider joining the Chelmsford & District Model Railway Club? At least you could advertise your layout or to get a better chance of finding people to assists you with restoration work.

Patrick

• Like 1

I am both a member of both Bishops Stortford railway society  ( where I used to store the layout ) and Harlow model railway club both of which are not suitable  for the task . Joining a third club would not be a good idea and  I live a fair distance from Chelmsford anyway. Although I have  no doubt both them and Mid- Essex club could do a very fine job of restoring the layout.  

As for the work involved - Baseboards and fiddle yards will need some attention, Track will need renewing the hand made stuff on there is now showing its age the new peco bullhead track will do fine and of course rewiring. Buildings and structures have been knocked or broken here and there over the years ( More so recently ! )   so  repairing or replacing these is a must.  And the scenery needs sprucing up and some big elm trees are needed  !

Although the layout is safe for now possession is nine tenths of the law as they say and I really would like to store it somewhere else before things get complicated in that area even if the restoration is done elsewhere.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

OOH! Are we playing Troll-spotting again?

:jester:

(I thought this was an underground thread, not under bridge)

Edited by DIW