LT Layouts

For a geographically small system, there are quite a few kits and publications available about the LT system, but there are relatively few layouts, at least that I know of.

I thought it would be good to have a layouts thread, something we could aspire to, as well as a place for Exhibition Managers to find layouts that were just that bit different by being based on LT or having a significant LT content, not tokenism.

So once again, I'll start the ball rolling.

City Road by Tim Steven. OO This was one of the three layouts that really pulled me back into modelling with a vengeance, Beautifully modelled, wonderful mix of Sub-Surface and Tube stock in a realistic setting. Sadly it is no more.

Mill Ridge by John Polley. OO The second layout that got me into modelling. For many years the standard bearer of LT modelling. John has sold it, but it was followed by...

Abbey Road by John Polley. OO Very atmospheric wit hshades of Farringdon widened lines.in the two levels There are pictures of the layout on John's Metromodels web site. Roger Tuke is one ofthe operators and runs his beautifully modelled Service Stock on the layout.

London Road by Steve Smith. OO I think Steve has every LT model ever made in 4mm on his layout, except for the Ever Ready Tube lookalike from the 1950s. .. Highly detailed and accurately modelled. Can you spot the 1960s Triang items? They took me by surprise.

Scrubs Lane by the late Ron Curling. OO This featured in the May 2006 Rai;way Modeller. Another inspirational layout.

Kings Park by Kevin Goodsell. N Whilst its mai nattraction is the WCML, it centres on a renamed Queens Park, and with '38 Stock in 2mm..

All of the above have been exhibition layouts, and apart from Scrubs Lane i have seen them all.

What otehr layouts do you know of?

• RMweb Gold

Is City Road actually no more? He was looking to sell it but I never heard the outcome. It MAY still exist even if not on the exhibition circuit.

It was one of the layouts that inspired me to have a go.

Is City Road actually no more? He was looking to sell it but I never heard the outcome. It MAY still exist even if not on the exhibition circuit.

It was one of the layouts that inspired me to have a go.

Yes, it was up for sale but I heard that there were no takers. It was being dismantled for the components, particularly the point motors so I was told. What condition it is in nowadatys I don't know. A great shame, but nothing's forever. Very sincere apologies to Tim Steven if I have done him a grave injustice and been misinformed.

Kingsway and Dog Kennel Hill are I believe John Howe's layouts.

There is also Cherio' Charlton. Which is O trams running along Woolwich Road.

Never exhibited in the UK was my Moore Street, Northern Line / Sarf Lunndun (innit) layout in OO.

Tramways: Add 'Kew Bridge' by members of the Thames Valley Area group of the TLRS

Also about 10 years ago there was a Trolleybus layout 'Walford Arches' (I think) on the circuit. I understand the builder died but I believe the layout still exists.

Epton - Dick Yeo, did the rounds of exhibitions mainly in the London, and East Anglia area mid 1970's to 80's. Appeared in the Railway Modeller 1978 - ish, Dick, like me , was a founder member of the Ongar & District Model Railway Club, now defunct, I think. The trackwork (00) was all handbuilt, which included complicated LT 4-rail pointwork. It started life as an L shaped layout about 10ft x 10ft, and ended as about 30ft straight. Some help was supplied by a certain Stephen Poole, also a member of Ongar &DMRC - some may of heard of him.

• Like 1

Copenhagen Fields by The Model Railway Club features a Leslie Green features a tube station with a Leslie Green red-tiled building at street level and a cutaway platform below, with a Standard stock train shuttling back and forth.

Pecorama has a cutaway tube station on one of it's layouts, using EFE stock.

The London Transport Museum has a huge collection of models of tube trains, buses, trams, stations etc in a wide variety of scales at Covent Garden and Acton Depot.

If you care to include the antecedents of the LU than I offer my embryonic ScaleSeven Basilica Fields (link to online journal) - an eastern extension of the Inner Circle and Widened Lines from Bishopsgate to Bow, swinging round to Limehouse (with a connection to the East London Line Extension) and back to reality at Mark Lane. I'm modelling just the northern bit between Artillery Lane and Basilica Fields...and that's a 30 year project in itself. It's being built in standalone segments of about 20' long each, and Artillery Lane - a sort of mirror image of Ray Street Gridiron - is the first bit to be rolled out. Traffic includes the MetR. & GWR on the Inner Circle, the GNR & MR on the Widened Lines, and traffic from South of the river via the ELR(Extn.) from the SER, LC&DR and LB&SCR. It all encroaches on GER territory, but that comes later.

The track plan for Artillery Lane is currently being Templotted over a drawing of Farringdon to Ray St. from the GNR Civil Engineer's office, reproduced in The Engineer in the 1870s, and that segment will be very much to scale. The first lengths of track, built to contemporary GW spec (for a small GW depot off the MetR.), have been made. Several people have joined in with researching and building the project, and we seem to regularly turn over what's become accepted history as various old documents come to light. The latest myth-buster relating to contemporary Metropolitan track is a real killer, and once we've got our heads around it will form the basis of the next post in the online journal.

Indeed - L49 has a layout called Houndsditch. Here's a link to some photo's in my gallery:My link

Thanks for posting these up BD. I can't find any of my pictures of 'the ditch' .The layout is currently in store above the workshop awaiting a facelift and conversion to a roundy roundy. I got fed up with spending all my time at shows faffing around with the traversers, and not having time to talk to anyone. Hopefully it will be ready to go back on the circuit by the end of next year. Until then, the sub-surface flag is being borne by Shoreditch ELR.

I look after the carriage and wagon dept on this rather large LT layout!

http://www.actonmini...erailway.co.uk/

For a minute, i thought you meant the Museum Depot, then realised the link was to Acton Miniature Railway.

I enjoyed looking at the picture, especially Sarah Siddons and Michael Faraday together. The Met A class was running well at the March Open Day IIRC.

Some more layouts.

Horn Lane which I believe is owned and operated by Jeff Pitt.. I saw it at the LT In Miniature Depot Open Day a couple of years ago, and there have been photos of it in Underground News. At one point it mimics the flat Junction east of Aldgate. Also the Tube station is well done. As you will have gathered it has both Tube and Sub-Surface stock.

Tanglewood Common by Epping Railway Circle. It is part LT tube stock and part BR.

If, like me, your interests relate to the outer extents of the Met, and more than a few years ago, then the current MRJ features a beautiful 7mm model Whitchurch Road.

Additionally a few years ago the MRC produced Uxbridge in S Scale - saw it, as a work in progress, at the Chesham MRC Exhibition to celebrate 100 years of Chesham railway (1989), but never saw it finished.

A final one I remember was the Brill branch in EM - only saw it once whilst visiting an exhibition somewhere north of Birmingham back in the mid-1980s. I think it was featured in an early edition of MRJ

If, like me, your interests relate to the outer extents of the Met, and more than a few years ago, then the current MRJ features a beautiful 7mm model Whitchurch Road.

Additionally a few years ago the MRC produced Uxbridge in S Scale - saw it, as a work in progress, at the Chesham MRC Exhibition to celebrate 100 years of Chesham railway (1989), but never saw it finished.

A final one I remember was the Brill branch in EM - only saw it once whilst visiting an exhibition somewhere north of Birmingham back in the mid-1980s. I think it was featured in an early edition of MRJ

The MRC's S scale layout was Thame ,l surely?

• 6 months later...