LT Layouts

Has anyone converted the Cambrian Turbot kit to the LT rebuilt ones and do any drawings of the conversion exist?

Mark Saunders

I did a couple, although I didn't find any drawings I had to work from photos. I haven't got a clue what happened to them though. After a couple of house moves they have dissappeared. I also did a conversion from the cambrian catfish to an LT hopper, complete with fold back buffers and dummy ward couplers. I have a feeling they are sitting in the clubroom somewhere.

Will post some pics if I find them.

Hi all

Following on from On30runner's post, heres again modelling Met on a larger scale.

I'll try and dig out the other photos, all our models are in 5 inch gauge, roughly 12th scale, a scale smaller than the acton miniature railway.

post-3595-0-71151800-1326919247_thumb.jpg

post-3595-0-43171400-1326919310_thumb.jpg

post-3595-0-96646200-1326919371_thumb.jpg

post-3595-0-37821600-1326919413_thumb.jpg

Current stock is a Metrovick 18 Michael Faraday, a live steam pannier tank, L93 in bits still, 3 wooden bodied Metropolitan railway Dreadnought coaches, (2 more coming) and 12 Metropolitan railway design wagons (designs from Snowdons book) made to finescale standards,

Cheers all

LC

• Like 3

Wow! Do you hold open days?

Hi Metr0land

We kind of tour the country with these things.

We are part of a group called the GL5 who model in 5 inch gauge and build wagons and coaches, as well as engines and run railways in a prototypical manner. We are one of 3 people who model the Met railway in this scale and we have by far the most stock.

As a group we have nearly 500 members who do stuff like this, mainlystock is the big four companies and private owner wagons which we run at a selection of tracks owned by clubs around the country on specific days.

Most of the above pictures were taken at 2 tracks in wiltshire, but the one of the bridge (concrete cast in a mans back garden!) is in lincolnshire.

I can post a few more pictures showing the wagons if people want, but i have a flickr site with most of them on,explaining more. Search GL5Mark, coate water or greystones and it should come up. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33124243@N06/

For those interested we will be attending the acton depot model show in March, hopefully with enough track to have a loco shunting wagons on a table top by RC. Oh the fun the larger scales afford!

Cheers

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Epton - Dick Yeo, did the rounds of exhibitions mainly in the London, and East Anglia area mid 1970's to 80's. Appeared in the Railway Modeller 1978 - ish, Dick, like me , was a founder member of the Ongar & District Model Railway Club, now defunct, I think. The trackwork (00) was all handbuilt, which included complicated LT 4-rail pointwork. It started life as an L shaped layout about 10ft x 10ft, and ended as about 30ft straight. Some help was supplied by a certain Stephen Poole, also a member of Ongar &DMRC - some may of heard of him.

I do indeed remember Epton, what an inspiration that was to an 11 year old boy! I wonder what happened to the layout?

Several members of Reading Society of Model Engineers have (or had) 5" gauge LT electrics.

As regards layouts, there are a couple of models of the Croydon tramways around. And there are some models of the IoW with the ex-LT tube stock (do they count?). AFAIK none of the Alderney railway yet....

And of course, there's always a certain article in the April 1984 Railway Modeller.... ;-)

I did once come up with a plan for a garage layout "Edgware Street", representing parts of the H&C, Met, Circle, District, Piccadilly and Jubilee lines - I think I've still got the drawing somewhere. if it turns up, I'll scan it in and post it here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

The leamington and warwick model society are doing a model of a station called Duxbury, based loosely on Aylesbury but with LT tube/surface stock on of the lines.

I saw this at the LWMRS show in January, impressive it is too! (and saw it again at their open day).

I'm currently planning (with Natalie) a LT steam shed layout based upon Lillie Bridge, called West Cromwell Road.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

I'll reiterate what i said on one of the other threads,

The acton depot is lookng for more underground layouts, especially Met themed ones for a bigger model show next march. Any willing to exhibit their layout or know the owners of layouts, get in contact with lyndsey the organiser at acton and get yourself invited.

What with it being a big year for the Met next year they want even more layouts and models, especially condiering this year was a little thin!

Anyone wants to contact them and needs details, give me a pm and i'll put you in touch.

So anyone with an LT/Met layout, be good to see you there next year! Otherwise it could beome an ever decreasing regular crowd!

Cheers all

Mark

LC

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Horn Lane at the Amersham Show yesterday what a fantastic layout. It really captures many of the aspects of Underground operation in the 1950-1960 perIod. I understand that this might have been the layouts last outing as Jeff intends to just have it as his layout at home.

I aspire to have a layout like Horn Lane myself one day!

Found some footage enjoy Starting at 1.50

XF

Edited by Xerces Fobe2

Yes, I thought Holm Lane was great too! The owner was telling me the layout was designed to fit a Zafira and since the new model came out it won't fit any more, which is one of the reasons he wants to retire it (the other being the length of time it takes to set up). Otherwise I'd have been interested in having it for Kenavon 2014 (or possibly 13 if I can get the extra room.

I gather it's part of a larger layout in its home set up - hence the two spurs off one of the reversing loops that don't go anywhere.

Kew Bridge wss there too - another great LT layout!

Kernow Junction was running a Beattie Well Tank - does this now count as LU stock?

my Central line layout Oaks Lane is at the track-laying stage. It is EM gauge and utilises Scalefour conductor rails, pots, etc. It is an "alternative" version of the New Works Programme extensions to the East, and is sitauted on the former Stapleford Abbots branch of the GER, just after Newbury Park. The LT line was always planned to go further, but after the war, cost cutting saw the line truncated to this point, and to this day (late 60's/early 70's) Oaks Lane remains the terminus of the branch from Leytonstone. There is interchange at Newbury Park between the Central (in tube) and the 25KV electric line from Liverpool St to Hainault via Ilford. Stock is detailed EFE 59/62 in eight car trains, DCC with Black Beetles, two per four-car set. Trailing bogies use Metromodels mouldings with EFE side frames grafted back on. Control utilises CTC software and hardware to enable manual train control, manual signal/points operation, auto train control, auto signalling (programme machine), or any combination. Software is done, some hardware already in place.Tracks are fully track-circuited and signal lever frame is electronically "interlocked", including approach locking, etc.. Auto signals are just that, operated by track circuit. Some of this is work in progress but so far, so good. Manual train control will use a mini replica of master controller and brake to simulate inch/series/parallel positions only so driving is that bit more realistic.

• Like 1

my Central line layout Oaks Lane is at the track-laying stage. It is EM gauge and utilises Scalefour conductor rails, pots, etc. It is an "alternative" version of the New Works Programme extensions to the East, and is sitauted on the former Stapleford Abbots branch of the GER, just after Newbury Park. The LT line was always planned to go further, but after the war, cost cutting saw the line truncated to this point, and to this day (late 60's/early 70's) Oaks Lane remains the terminus of the branch from Leytonstone. There is interchange at Newbury Park between the Central (in tube) and the 25KV electric line from Liverpool St to Hainault via Ilford. Stock is detailed EFE 59/62 in eight car trains, DCC with Black Beetles, two per four-car set. Trailing bogies use Metromodels mouldings with EFE side frames grafted back on. Control utilises CTC software and hardware to enable manual train control, manual signal/points operation, auto train control, auto signalling (programme machine), or any combination. Software is done, some hardware already in place.Tracks are fully track-circuited and signal lever frame is electronically "interlocked", including approach locking, etc.. Auto signals are just that, operated by track circuit. Some of this is work in progress but so far, so good. Manual train control will use a mini replica of master controller and brake to simulate inch/series/parallel positions only so driving is that bit more realistic.

Welcome Neil - smart move with the 1938 stock Black Beetles and Metromodels bogies - If you have not done it already I suggest an 8 wheel pick up the driving cars.

Have you any photos of your layout?

XF

Welcome Neil - smart move with the 1938 stock Black Beetles and Metromodels bogies - If you have not done it already I suggest an 8 wheel pick up the driving cars.

Have you any photos of your layout?

XF

bit early for photos unless you like baseboards and track! Will post as soon as something interesting to see

have had the rolling stock running on a temporary "test track"-eight wheel pick up has been tried, as has pick up from adjacent T or NDM with connection across the coupling. I need to see how well it works on the actual layout.

N

N

I'm still planning on rebuilding/restoring this one. Some day. Eventually. I hope.........

moorestreet004.jpg

Before anyone asks, no the tiling is not the Metro Models product. Its my own artwork and predates the Metro Models stuff by several years.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The MRC's S scale layout was Thame ,l surely?

Both Thame and Uxbridge were S Gauge Society projects - although I rather think they may have been housed at MRC HQ (Keen House). The "main man" at the time was a Mr Bevis IIRC.