RhB Signalling in Switzerland

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

I've posted this link before to the old forum thread on RhB signalling but it's the basic introduction that you need to understand before moving onto any of the quirks on the other lines.

I should also mention my sincere appreciation to G. Caprez a driver on the RhB who has provided all the information that this thread is built around.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=45802

They are steadily introducing a speed signalling system on the main system which I am still researching but I will also briefly cover the Arosa line differences.

post-6968-0-03117600-1308618456_thumb.jpg

At Arosa Station

The upper signal, (following the usual practice as described in the link above), indicates whether the line ahead is occupied (red or green/yellow etc).

The lower box is a standard brake test signal.

one white light = apply brakes;

two white lights = release brakes;

three white lights = brakes OK;

upper green, lower white = depart.

My thanks To HJ of the Grischum forum for this information on brake test signals.

Sometimes the one or two light aspect is omitted when the brake test is done by hand or radio signal. But the three light aspect is mandatory for "brakes ok", as it also gives the "train ready to depart" to the dispatcher in Landquart who will then turn the block signal to green. The starting signal (green/white) is operated by train or station staff at departure time.

(Solis and Luen-Castiel also are non-standard uses of a brake signal box for a different purpose)

G. Caprez

post-6968-0-00729600-1308618388_thumb.jpg

At Intermediate Arosa Line Stations

"The boxes, beneath the upper head, at intermediate stations with the lit bar either horizontal or vertical are also a cheap solution in the Chur - Arosa's simplified block system. Instead of using different aspects like green for the main track and yellow/green for the side track, a little bit of money was saved by giving the same aspect for either track and then using a shunting signal to indicate for which track the authority applies."

G. Caprez

A horizontal line is Stop and a vertical line means that the route is set to the track on that side. So usually, with a red aspect, one will display a horizontal line – and the other horizontal and vertical together +.

With a Green the track that has authority to depart will have just a vertical line l and the other one a horizontal -.

• RMweb Gold

Hi DM problem is the RhB doesn't exclusively follow the main line practice, so no offence taken ;)

One of the best resources I had has unfortunately ceased to be on the net and that compared many of the differences. I have a paper copy but would have to redraw it all to prevent infringing copyright and haven't the time to do it yet.

The Interpretation is directly from the RhB rulebook courtesy of G. Caprez. Thankyou for the pdf I'll study that with interest and would be worth starting a mainline thread with that alone.

Archived